Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Barney Curley

Thanks

Barney Curley

Racing for Change?

From the RP....

A gamble on a Barney Curley-trained trio appeared to have been foiled on Monday when the third of his heavily backed runners failed to make any impression at Wolverhampton.

Bookmakers report a fourth horse, formerly trained by Curley's former assistant Andrew Stringer, has also been heavily backed. Jeu De Roseau, trained by Chris Grant, runs in the 7.30pm at Towcester.

Agapanthus, partnered by Tom Queally, ran out a good winner of the Whoopsadaisy Charity Handicap at Brighton having been gambled in to 2-1 (from 7-1), despite returning from a 187-day absence.

The second and third legs of the apparent gamble came in both divisions of the amateur handicap at Wolverhampton on Monday. Both were ridden by Declan Luke Queally.

Savaronola, who went off as an 11-10 favourite (from 5-1 earlier in the day), took the first division with ease.

But Sommersturm who was sent off the 1-3 favourite having been 4-1 earlier, let down his backers in the second division, at 5.30pm.

Speaking before the 5.30 Stan James spokesman Charlie McCann said: "Punters have been on from first thing this morning backing Agapanthus and Savaronola, the two afternoon winners, with Sommersturm (5.30 Wolves) and Jeu De Roseau (7.30 Towcester) in doubles, trebles, yankees and lucky 15s.

"Jeu De Roseau was previously trained by Curley but is now in the tutelage of Chris Grant. If the next two oblige it will indeed be a Black Monday not only for Gordon Brown but for the bookies and a red letter day for fearless punter Curley, who appears to have planned the day with military precision . . . so far."

Curley became infamous in not only the racing and betting world, but also in wider circles after the then gambler and entrepreneur masterminded a coup at Bellewstown in the summer of 1975 where he made the most of the poor communication between the track and off course bookmakers to win a reputed IR£300,000 (€1.7m in today's money) on a horse called Yellow Sam, which ran in his colours.

In the intervening years both as an owner and trainer, he has been associated with numerous gambles, plenty at a low level, and often using then relatively unknown jockeys, some of whom, including the likes of Frankie Dettori, Jamie Spencer and Tom Queally, have since established themselves among the top names in the weighing room.

Curley has reduced his racing interests in recent years and spends much of his time working for the Direct Aid For Africa charity he established in 1996.

Thanks
    This surely cannot help Racing for Change. While I admire the sheer audacity of it all, this is absolutely ridiculous from an integrity perspective and they need to seriously investigate how long that horse was in Grant's care.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamla Stan View Post
    Bookmakers report a fourth horse, formerly trained by Curley's former assistant Andrew Stringer, has also been heavily backed. Jeu De Roseau, trained by Chris Grant, runs in the 7.30pm at Towcester.
    25/1 into 5/4, sp 6/4, and wins.

Thanks
    It's absolutely absurd.

Nobody can claim that all three horses suddenly turned into winning animals after being tailed off in all their most recent starts.

He should simply be warned off.

Thanks
    A bit of me loves strokes like this.
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    The only people to benefit from this are those close to the Curley yard.

The betting public are screwed over and it makes the sport look an absolute joke.

Thanks
    I agree with all of that. However, a bit of me loves strokes like this.
    Welsh and Proud.

Banned
    Thanks
    The only people to benefit from this are those close to the Curley yard.

The betting public are screwed over and it makes the sport look an absolute joke.
    he is not alone with screwing the general public over though is he?

the problem i see is that when its AOB warming horses up that lose at less than 2/1 without a word of warning that they aren't going to get even a tap from the jockey..its deemed ok on this forum..so why when someone else does it is there an outcry?..i didn't see many call for his head after the one at Chester..

at least Curleys triers are pretty obvious

not too consistent with the criticism imo..in fact its pure bias really
    Last edited by EC1; 10th May 2010 at 8:15 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EC1 View Post
    he is not alone with screwing the general public over though is he?

the problem i see is that when its AOB warming horses up that lose at less than 2/1 without a word of warning that they aren't going to get even a tap from the jockey..its deemed ok on this forum..so why when someone else does it is there an outcry?..i didn't see many call for his head after the one at Chester..

not too consistent with the criticism imo..in fact its pure bias really
    I'm a big fan fan of AO'B but i absolutely agree with you

Thanks
    EC1,

I'm one of O'Brien's fiercest critics on here as others will vouch for and whilst I think he's guilty of using the racecourse as a training ground far too more regularly than he should and connections of the yard probably have stopped a few, I don't think he genuinely stops racehorses and then proceeds to gamble them into odds on from double figure prices as well as piling them into yankees!

Edit: Changed "yard" to "connections of the yard"

Banned
    Thanks
    EC1,

I'm one of O'Brien's fiercest critics on here as others will vouch for and whilst I think he's guilty of using the racecourse as a training ground far too more regularly than he should and connections of the yard probably have stopped a few, I don't think he genuinely stops racehorses and then proceeds to gamble them into odds on from double figure prices as well as piling them into yankees!

Edit: Changed "yard" to "connections of the yard"
    Stan

I never said he apes Curley..but both of them cost punters money..AOB probably costs them more than Curley..at least you know when Curleys are trying

i know they aren't alike in their methods..but end result is same. ..punter is bottom of pile as far as both trainers are concerned..which is how the whole game is geared ...we all know that its a privy to knowledge game...but Curley is no worse than AOB or other trainers. He is just better at bending the rules than most ..so gets noticed more.

I've nowt against either of them..its our job to try and work out whats happening..but you can't damn one and not other
    Last edited by EC1; 10th May 2010 at 8:38 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EC1 View Post

at least Curleys triers are pretty obvious
    As are Charles Byrnes and Tony Martin triers, but that doesn't make it right. Whether it's a 2/1 shot or a 20/1 shot, horses should be brought to the track in reasonable shape and at least try a little. We all know that horses are not 100% fit the first day they run and most end up being handicapped. Everyone assumes a horse with two duck eggs on its third run is just getting a mark, but then they don't expect it to pop in next time backed from 20/1 to 2/1 and win with a stone in hand. All trainers land a touch every now and again, whether they back it or the owners back it. While not ideal, I can understand. What I don't understand is how Tony Martin can still get a horse rated 85!! I'm not one for handicapping a trainer but if that's the way they are penalised then so be it. Minimum rating 100 for any Byrnes or Martin horse and they are given three more runs before rating is dropped. Let's see how many horses they have in training then!

Banned
    Thanks
    i never said any of this sort of thing is "right"

what isn't right is defending one trainer ..whilst slating another..for losing punters money

Thanks
    Congrats to Barney on the coup.I can't see the problem.

Banned
    Thanks
    the other day on this forum..a horse that cost punters money when it lost..was described as being impressive..but now not trying by another trainer is somehow scandalous...doesn't seem consistent to me

Thanks
    I don't understand the costing punters money arguement-not all punters back 1-3 shots.I presume it's fame and glory you are referring to-I laid it for a 4 figure sum.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    I don't understand the costing punters money arguement-not all punters back 1-3 shots.I presume it's fame and glory you are referring to-I laid it for a 4 figure sum.
    no I wasn't - AOA was the horse I was talking about - total non trier - no thread about it on here..but cost punters money as they weren't informed beforehand that instructions were to not touch the horse.

like i said..its no use people getting hot under collar just about part of the problem of punters not being informed.

if you don't care about the public being kept in the dark.. thats fine..but if we are talking about making racing appealing to outsiders..its not really a good advert to see deception by Curley or any other trainer..if its not deception then maybe we have to change some rules. Alternatively we may as well just advertise the game as an insiders paradise and watch punters turn to poker and other sports...which is already happening anyway.

do we want racing to be seen as an insiders paradise?

personally..i try and dodge around these sorts of events..just don't understand why one or two trainers get pilloried whilst others get applauded for similar antics
    Last edited by EC1; 10th May 2010 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks
    How much information do you think you are entitled to.as a close follower of ballydoyle I can guarantee you plenty of their drifters win and plenty of the ones that get backed as if defeat is out of the question get chinned.

Banned
    Thanks
    personally

I don't want any info from any of them..I do my own stuff..but there are people crying on this thread about punters losing money due to not being given information..but only from certain trainers

maybe you should address the question to them

the issue to me is one of treating trainers equally..thats not happening..one gets a pat on the back..whilst others get criticised
    Last edited by EC1; 10th May 2010 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks
    I don't have a problem with this in fact it adds to my enjoyment of the game. Like you said EC1 it is up to the punter to work it out. Non triers are just another factor you have to weigh up when having a bet IMO. Getting to know the likely suspects through experience is part of the appeal to me, like working out fractions.