Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Townend and Ruby

Thanks

Townend and Ruby

For how long Townend will want to be second stable jockey?

I think owners will also put preassure on Mullins,
    for me, Townnend is the best jockey riding in Europe at the moment.
    Last edited by sunybay; 24th April 2010 at 7:42 AM.

Thanks
    Has there ever been a jockey so talented on the flat and over hurdles and fences at the same time.

Thanks
    He is brilliant for sure and will get there,but not better than Ruby ,RJ or AP as yet over jumps

Thanks
    I think he is exceptional - he'll keep the ride on Hurricane Fly too - but Mullins and Walsh have a very close relationship and I imagine Ruby will be number 1 for a while yet.

Thanks
    Remember you mentioning that Mullins will put Townend up on enough good horses to keep him happy Gal. Hope he keeps him on Hurricane Fly as he said he would last year prior to Townend's injury and him being forced to miss Punchestown.

There are horses in the yard who seem to run so much better for PT compared with Ruby - most notably Golden Silver, fingers crossed the arrangement continues to work but he's a hell of a jockey.
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    That's it, the difficulty will be keeping him happy in 12-18 months time. He's an incredibly good jockey, Townend, but Ruby is still the daddy for me. You only have to look at how certain horses perform without him - Twist Magic for one, to appreciate what a superb horseman he is.

Gearoid
    Quote Originally Posted by sunybay View Post
    For how long Townend will want to be second stable jockey?

I think owners will also put preassure on Mullins,
    for me, Townnend is the best jockey riding in Europe at the moment.
    Is being the top jockey in europe not the same thing as being the top Irish jockey.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
    I think he is exceptional - he'll keep the ride on Hurricane Fly too .

Is that confirmed?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Townend is in the perfect position at the minute. Mullins is very fair about letting lads keep rides (Hurricane Fly/Golden Silver for Townend and The Midnight Club for Emett Mullins etc.) as well as getting the pick of the Mullins rides with Walsh in England a fair amount of weekends. He has time on his side.

Was I the only one who thought Townend nearly made a complete balls of the ride on Hurricane Fly yesterday by the way?

Thanks
    I see the situation in a different way,
    if Mullins doesnt use him as first jockey he is in dangger of someone like Henderson or even Paul Nicholls signing this one.

Gosden was quick with Buick, and Townend is an even better jockey than this.

Thanks
    About Hurricanes ride,
    I think it was perfect, a jockey solving a tricky situation in the bend not panicing , making the horse jump perfect and very strong and balanced in a tight fought finish.

Gearoid
    Why would Paul Nicholks sign him when hes Quby Walsh and every other top jockey happy to pick up spare rides. Henderson has McCoy/Gerathy so as usual the only job available is Howard Johnson and Id imagine Townend would be a million to one for that job. What will be interesting is when he does go to the UK to ride one during the season, who will snap him up for the other races on the card.

Thanks
    There aren't that many other jobs where he'd get more big race winning chances than the one he has.

Thanks
    I don't see Townend leaving Ireland. He has just bought a new house so it's obviously not on his mind. He just needs to show a bit of patience and maturity and his time will come. Thankfully that looks not to be a problem.

Thanks
    We've been here before with jockeys. The lad is only young and I hope he doesn't do what he hasn't done so far.....and follow the same route as some of his fellow jocks. Unlikely given the master he has, but still he has a few years yet where it could all go wrong. Precocious talents need to be nurtured and too much too soon is not alwyas a good thing. I think he's a fine rider and would like to see him do well for the next ten years, rather than suddenly get an ego, like so many have done before him. He's in the right place at the right time now, but it can still go horribly wrong.

Thanks
    It will stay as it is for a couple of seasons at least,Townend getting some plum rides and Ruby riding most of the good ones but not all.

Between Mullins multiple runners and Ruby being away a lot there's loads of space for Townend.

Thanks
    Isn't Ruby also married to one of Mullins' relations ?

Townend has a brilliant job as it is - apart from an offer of stable jockey to Nicholls or Henderson what would be better for him ???

Thanks
    Most people are talking about Townend as if he is still an up and coming jockey, but in fact he's already right up there. In the season just over he finished in 14th place in GB and Ireland in terms of races won (i.e. taking races won in both countries into account), but as high as 6th place in terms of prize money won.

As chroniclandlord says, it's hard to see where else he could go that would give him better opportunities than he's already getting.

Here, by the way, is the top 10:

Wins Runs % TOTAL PRIZE
    R Walsh 177 658 26.9% £3,839,241
    A P McCoy 201 941 21.4% £3,209,492
    B Geraghty 122 523 23.3% £2,263,172
    D Russell 93 642 14.5% £2,164,000
    P Brennan 68 657 10.4% £1,696,315
    P Townend 56 421 13.3% £1,604,006
    R Johnson 162 822 19.7% £1,438,788
    A J McNamara 58 462 12.6% £1,416,467
    Jas Maguire 110 568 19.4% £922,634
    T Murphy 55 298 18.5% £917,458

If anybody knows how to tabulate the data properly I would be grateful for their help.

Thanks
    Is Townend is a similar position to Spencer just before the latter got his chance in Ballydoyle?? Had shown his huge talent with some big race wins but lacked the experience of handling himself when things got tough. That experience comes with time. I think he's in the best place he could possibly be. Mullins will most certainly keep his feet on the ground.

Thanks
    Spencer still messes up even with his experience!!!! I think this week would have been a big and stressful week for Townend - and he did not falter for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantoris View Post
    Is Townend is a similar position to Spencer just before the latter got his chance in Ballydoyle?? Had shown his huge talent with some big race wins but lacked the experience of handling himself when things got tough. That experience comes with time. I think he's in the best place he could possibly be. Mullins will most certainly keep his feet on the ground.