Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: WP Mullins

Thanks
    Now in Jackie Mullins ownership.

As with all these ex-rules horses simply switching them to points/HC's isn't always the answer, in fact I'd say some Open P2P's and HC's are harder to win than the rules races they'd been running in.
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    Mullins passed Aidan O'Brien's record of 155 winners in an Irish NH season on Saturday, and is on 159 after yesterday. He could make 200 for the season, needs 41 with I think, 36 jumps meetings left.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm a big fan of the man, He's a Great trainer but a massive plus for him was being born into the game.......I'm more impressed with the likes of Len Lungo who trained 63 winners in a season in Scotland his old man made fish and chips and Lenny did it all from scratch.

I do hope he breaks the 200 hundred barrier.......might help if he gives up on sending Micky D over fences and sends him back hurdling before the horse does himself or Ruby some real damage.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Fist, do you know what Lenny is up to these days?
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    His Son in law is James tate and i think he works in the yard with them now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, OTB.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Last I heard he was still in Dumfries in happy retirement but had been helping his son in law out when he had runners up North.....last time he came up in conversation there was no mention of him actually "working" in the yard which is like a zillion miles away.......but don't quote me on that as I haven't seen the guy in 14 years
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Stamp View Post
    I'm looking for them now Grassy - I did have them written down somewhere from researching the Arqana site.

To be fair for the 70,000 he'd have had to pay for Roi Du Val I'd seriously doubt that he'd get that money back. Now if anyone fancies going after Riz Amer - he'll be a pretty good tool when they go a proper gallop
    Sorry Martin I've just read this and had to check them out - Roi Du Val won another 50k race last January 2012 and earned £1/2 million in his career. Riz Amer never won a race and only earned £22,000. The moral of the story being Mullins may be a better judge of a horse than you and I hold you in high regard
    Pluralism of Ideas and the prosperity of any land are intertwined. Freedom of minds and skill of intellect to 'think the unthinkable' is how humanity has progressed; when minds are incarcerated nothing endures.

Thanks
    http://www.irishracing.com/blog/blog...cord-in-sight/

Records are meant to be broken and Willie Mullins means to break them. The record of winners trained in an Irish season is smashed with almost three months to spare. His son Patrick has broken the calendar year tally for an amateur jockey. And it must be odds-on Mullins will soon become the most successful Irish trainer ever at the Cheltenham festival.

Just three more winners at Cheltenham will see Mullins overhaul Tom Dreaper’s tally of twenty six during a twenty five year period between 1946 and 1971. And with Hurricane Fly and Quevega on Day One alone, not to mention a red-hot hope like Pont Alexandre after that, there will be plenty banking on another benchmark falling to the master of Closutton.

Some will point out that comparing the modern master with legends of the past is not comparing like with like, since the complexion of the festival has changed so much. And there is something to that.

Only the most fervent festival fanatic can maintain Cheltenham hasn’t diluted itself over the years, with a move to four days, and the inclusion of races that don’t measure up to the standards of decades ago.
    It almost goes against the trade descriptions act to have the Martin Pipe Conditional Hurdle counting for the same as the Gold Cup in such record-totting. But such dilution is a modern commercial reality, trading long-term credibility for short-term profit.
    All that’s hardly a matter for Mullins though who struck first at the festival in 1995. And statistically, as in every other way, no one can argue with his status as a truly great trainer whose current domestic dominance is pretty much unmatched in the history of the game.

Away We Go was winner No.156 of the season for Mullins, passing out Aidan O’Brien’s 1994-95 tally with almost three months of the season to go. Stan James go just 4-6 about him hitting 200 before the campaign is out. On current form, that’s the bet of the season.

But perhaps the most impressive stat of all surrounding the achievement is the Mullins strike-rate. O’Brien’s was twenty per cent during that record season. Mullins’s is near thirty five per cent. That is remarkable.

Thanks
    No winners today at Fairyhouse.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chroniclandlord View Post
    Crisis!!
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chroniclandlord View Post
    I was trying to cheer him up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    I do remember a forumite now long gone quoting that WPM couldn't train a dog to give the paw
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Banned
    Thanks
    What I like about him is that he is so very Communicative in interviews. Like all the truly talented he makes it all sound very straightforward and nothing out of the ordinary. Very much like Nichols. They both have had their moments of course but generally what you hear is what you get ( cue all the wannabe cycnics with the whatabouteries ). I like that.

Very popular bloke with British trainers too according to Alan lee in a good piece on him last week

Thanks
    His record in the real Championship races at Cheltenham is poor considering the firepower and potential as his disposal. 1 Champion Hurdle, 0 Champion Chases, 0 World Hurdles, 0 Gold Cups.

Compare that with his peers Henderson and Nicholls ...........

35% strike rate is unreal though
    Do not mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance nor my kindness for weakness.

Thanks
    I wonder what his strike rate is with horses in their first few runs compared to thereafter? He schools the bejaysus out of his horses in the likes of Thurles and that's why some just don't progress. Other trainers might have a longer turn objective. I often think that is why a Mullins bumper horse might be a length up with a furlong to go but wins by ten lengths. Pure strength from doing it around Thurles a few times compared to the horse that might only have been away once.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantoris View Post
    I wonder what his strike rate is with horses in their first few runs compared to thereafter? He schools the bejaysus out of his horses in the likes of Thurles and that's why some just don't progress. Other trainers might have a longer turn objective. I often think that is why a Mullins bumper horse might be a length up with a furlong to go but wins by ten lengths. Pure strength from doing it around Thurles a few times compared to the horse that might only have been away once.
    So what you are saying is that he is good at getting his horses ready to run?

I'm afraid I would need empirical comparative data even to begin to entertain your contention that they don't progress.

Respectfully,

Adamant Approach and Florida Pearl.
    Last edited by an capall; 28th February 2013 at 2:56 PM.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    I'll see your Adamant Approach and Florida Pearl

and raise you:

Scolardy
    Holy Orders
    Davenport Milenium
    Joe Cullen
    Assessed
    Nobody Told Me
    Sadlers Wings
    Quatre Heures
    Ebazaiyan
    Glencove Marina
    J'y Vole
    Cousin Vinny
    Fivefortree
    Cooldine
    Mikael d'Haguenet
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar the Bull View Post
    I'll see your Adamant Approach and Florida Pearl

and raise you:

Scolardy
    Holy Orders
    Davenport Milenium
    Joe Cullen
    Assessed
    Nobody Told Me
    Sadlers Wings
    Quatre Heures
    Ebazaiyan
    Glencove Marina
    J'y Vole
    Cousin Vinny
    Fivefortree
    Cooldine
    Mikael d'Haguenet

Average stable gross content = 120
    Yearly T/0 ~ 25% (dead/useless/retired = (30)
    Net content = 90
    Ten year total = 900

BtB's failures rate 15 or 1.7%

Naaaawww. doesn't really change my mind.
    Last edited by an capall; 28th February 2013 at 4:40 PM.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clivex View Post
    What I like about him is that he is so very Communicative in interviews. Like all the truly talented he makes it all sound very straightforward and nothing out of the ordinary. Very much like Nichols. They both have had their moments of course but generally what you hear is what you get ( cue all the wannabe cycnics with the whatabouteries ). I like that.

Very popular bloke with British trainers too according to Alan lee in a good piece on him last week
    I think we need to take into account that most of them are bowled the equivalent of six full tosses - bodyline it isn't.

As regards running plans for Cheltenham between Mullins and JP I don't think you could get much worse.