Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Racing Post

Gearoid

The Racing Post

Bruce Millington uses the cover today for an open letter to the sports editors who will choose the ten candidates for this years BBC Sports Personality of the year. As editor he does things very much his own way. McCoy is never likely to win the award but considering the BBC is culling its NH coverage and the dubious recent winners of the award, should we care?
    Last edited by Gearoid; 12th November 2009 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks
    Undoubtably worthy of such a front page....it is at the forefront of problems/issues facing racing right now!

Thanks
    I "greened up" when Murray failed to win Wimbledon, so I don't care!
    I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
    Take a bow for the new revolution

Thanks
    Jenson Button odds-on. Can't they just give it to his fecking car and have done with it.

Thanks
    By Bruce Millington10.13AM 12 NOV 2009
    Racing Post editor Bruce Millington with an open letter to the sports editors who will between them choose the ten candidates for this year's prestigious award
    FRIDAY is the deadline for you to submit the ten names you nominate for the BBC Sports Personality of 2009 shortlist.
    On behalf of the whole sport of racing, I respectfully urge you to give careful consideration to the overwhelming case for Tony McCoy to be included on your list.
    This is not some desperate voice from a far-flung parish of the sporting world defying logic and natural justice and banging the drum for an unworthy candidate.
    It's a plea to correct one of the great sporting wrongs of recent times - namely that the British public has never been afforded the opportunity to show how much it appreciates the phenomenon that is McCoy in the annual BBC poll.

This has been a year that has seen some notable British sporting performances. Jenson Button, Jessica Ennis and David Haye became world champions; England's cricketers won the Ashes, and Mark Cavendish proved himself the fastest man on two wheels in the Tour de France.
    Meanwhile, for the 14th successive year, McCoy became champion jump jockey, and chalked up his 3,000th winner, a feat that would have been considered as good as impossible back in 1992 when he registered his very first riding success.
    He should not, however, be nominated as some form of lifetime recognition. 2009 has seen the Ulsterman perform every bit as supremely as ever, despite him, at 35, entering what is the veteran stage for jump jockeys.
    He has ridden 179 winners in Britain this year, sits 33 clear of his nearest rival in the 2009-10 championship, and is still causing jaws to drop with his logic-defying ability to pass the post in front on horses which would be beaten with any other human in the saddle.
    His performance on Wichita Lineman at the Cheltenham Festival was widely recognised as one of the all-time great rides, with no less a sportswriting legend than Hugh McIlvanney commenting in the Sunday Times: "McCoy electrified the old arena in the Cotswolds with a miracle of persistence and communicated conviction that finally galvanised the ill-travelling, erratically jumping Wichita Lineman into surging beyond Maljimar (and the bounds of believability) to finish a neck in front."
    Like Ryan Giggs, who was crowned footballer of the year in 2009, McCoy shows no signs of diminished talent or desire.

Unlike Giggs, McCoy still requires an ambulance to follow him during his working day and is on a constant diet that equates to nothing other than borderline starvation.
    Please be in no doubt what a momentous feat riding 3,000 winners is. As Paul Hayward wrote in The Observer: "To say his pursuit of a 3,000th winner over sticks is just another statistical milestone of the sort that litter modern sport is a calumny against this famished hero of the weighing room.
    "It is an epic narrative of simple pleasures denied, crippling injuries overcome, and horses kicked and slapped across finishing lines as an obsessive nature seeks its fulfilment in the flash of an equine head past a giant lollipop."
    McCoy is revered in racing and admired throughout the sporting sphere. From the royalty for whom he rides to the multitude of betting shop punters who put their faith in him on a daily basis, this is a man who delivers.
    He embodies the great sporting principles of bravery, skill, dignity, success and dedication.
    The people of Great Britain may decide he is not the worthiest recipient of the BBC Sports Personality award. But they deserve the chance to make that decision, so please do the right thing and find room in your ten-strong list of candidates for Anthony Peter McCoy.

Thanks
    But isn't the BBC Sports Personality about a British National?

I probably have that wrong!!
    Just Singin' the Blues ........

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsheet View Post
    But isn't the BBC Sports Personality about a British National?

I probably have that wrong!!

Thats some can of worms!!
    "Sometimes a horse is so far behind in a race, it actually thinks its leading...." Junior Soprano

Thanks
    I've found a list of previous winners here http://www.pubquizhelp.com/sport/personality.html
    Most do seem to be British.
    I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
    Take a bow for the new revolution

Gearoid
    Maybe that is why the SPOTY has never been won by a jockey, Britian does not have any....

Thanks
    Aye, I think it is better we don't go there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by del boy View Post
    Thats some can of worms!!
    Why?

Thanks
    The award is open to people from outside the UK - Dettori was nominated in the past, for example. I think the idea is that if they practice their sport predominantly in the UK, then they're eligible.

What this has to do with McCoy, I have no idea.

Thanks
    Northern Ireland is not part of Britain. I don't think there was ever any doubt that all UK people were included. e.g. Mary Peters/Barry Mcguigan(sort of...).
    Last edited by Melendez; 12th November 2009 at 3:59 PM.

Gearoid
    Greg Rusedski.

Thanks
    Look - I couldn't give a four x if it was just for England, Great Britain or The World ! But the question was implicit as to why McCoy hasn't been at the top of the list for this award. Probably because people voted for other successful 'British' nominees in that year. Not saying that's right, fair or unfair - it's just how it is.

Is the Great British public going to vote for Button or McCoy this year.. ?

Not rocket science, is it...

Thanks
    Eh?

Thanks
    I wouldn't bank on Button winning. I don't think he's the most liked bloke in the world. He does seem to think he's Austin Powers which makes me laugh. Groovy.
    I'm clever enough to ask the questions i'm too stupid to answer

Gearoid
    I think this thread proves that the front page of the Racing Post was wasted today. Bruce Millington should stop pushing his own agendas on the rest of us.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Wasted, perhaps, as it'll make no difference but you can't blame him for trying to bring racing, and it's figureheads to the general's public's attention, no?

He comes across like a good bloke here..
    http://www.theracingforum.co.uk/hors...st-t79641.html

Gearoid
    Yes but the Racing Post is a trade paper so all he is doing is licking McCoys boots. Almost as cringe worthy as Fallon week.