Thread: Hotel Internet Connections

Thanks
    I've booked myself a week in Benidorm (coming home just in time for the National). I noticed some hotels claim they offer 'complimentary internet connection' in rooms.

Does this usually mean free of charge (which is what I would understand)?

What kind of lap-top spec would I need (I'd need to borrow one from school for the week)?

Would it all work on an idiot-proof basis, i.e. I start up the lap-top and make a connection between the machine and the wall and just click on IE and I'm up and running?

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    Beware, Maurice, the "connection" may be complimentary but the call charges could be horrendous. Check with them before you go what they mean.

Thanks
    That's the kind of thing I was wondering about.

I know a couple of places in the town where I can get access fairly readily, reliably and cheaply but it would be nice to be able to do it straight from my room!

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    Indeed. I'd phone the hotel - you also want it to be broadband, which, if it's genuinely complimentary, it will be.

Joe
    I'm going Tenerife on Feb 14th.

I use a wireless Internet Connection here and I'm wondering if i can use it in my hotel on my laptop??

Thanks
    I reckon you'd be better using one of those Cybercat Internet cafes Mo. They would probably provide better security if you are doing any betting transactions which I imagine u will be(the hotel I stayed in over Xmas had no proper firewall or anything).
    "The religious persecution of the ages has been done under what was claimed to be the command of God. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides
    with their own desires" -- Susan B. Anthony

Derek.Burgess
    Never had a problem with hotels in Europe.Mostly WLAN and therefore no connectivity equired if you have CENTRINO technology on your Notebook.Turn your Notebook on flick the little switch and off you go.

There are small problems if you have to use the Phone lines.

1,Continental Phone Connector.

2, Two pronged plug fo the wall socket.

3, DSL Connector Notebook.

Then all you need to do is power up and follow the instructions in the booklet provided by the Hotel.

Any charges will be explained during installation of the Hotel DSL software.

Easy Peasy.

Derek.Burgess
    FIREWALLS

NORTON comes with most reputable Notebooks,this would suffice.

If you are WLAN you will have two Firewalls your own and one on the Hotels Router.

Even if you are connected by telephone the Hotel would have a router with a Firewall.

Kathy
    I am such a saddo that I only stay in hotels that have internet access UK and abroad. I am even sadder that I sometimes don't check the rates and have been caught out on the charges on checking out. :shy:

I had a surreal experience when I was in Portugal a few years back. I paid for my boyfriend to go horseriding as a Birthday treat, which he did slightly begrudgingly (as he isn't that keen) and made sure we were back in time to get to the internet cafe to put my bet on as my horse was running at Southwell. We were sat outside in the backing sun in early February and I was on the phone to my Dad who was in the bookies watching the race, my boyfriend was on the phone to his Dad who was staying at our house and watching the telly, and my bets were on and I was sipping a large G&T.

My horse came 2nd at 10/1 so it was well worth it. Days like that I will never forget. Nor will my boyfriend forget as after the hours horse ride on a horse called (H)ippo he then couldn't walk properly for 2 days.

The hotel we stayed in was a golfing hotel, and it was truly magnificent. They had made him a cake and left champagne it in our room, which was so thoughtful. I hadn't ordered it so I can only imagine they had seen the date on his passport.

How much do I wish I was on holiday right now??? :unsure: