Thread: Never Never Fly Monarch Airlines

Thanks
    I've just abou thad it woth Monarch Airlines....other than BA they are the only flight that operates to Gib airport, but I usually fly BA. Since June I have flown them once, with a flight booked for tonight, both scheduled flights I might add, so delays unlikely. ( ) Having been on nights, then having to go to the Osteopath this morning, my flatmate rings me after I've managed just an hour's kip to let me know that this evening's Monarch flight ain't happening. I have spent the last week joking that the flight had better not be cancelled!!!!!!!!& #33; Anyhow, from the very little I have gleaned from Monarch HQ in Luton, the flight hasn't been cancelled but it's delayed as the flight that was due to leave the UK at 08:30 still hasn't left as the plane is crocked. (how many fecking planes do they have??? just the one????) Monarch in Gib were as good as a chocolate fireguard - flight leaves at 20:40 darling, check in at 18:20 darling, no confirmation of anything yet, darling - it's enought to make you spew!!!!!!! (thanks to Kevin Bloody Wilson for the line there!!&#33 So now I've had an hour's kip & I have no bloody idea whether my flight is even goign to leave tonight! Don't they think about the fact that I've arranged a lift from the airport?? Last time I flew Monarch the flight was cancelled & we were taken to Malaga for a flight that left about 3.30am & got into Luton around 5am, all that after a day spent working. Stupidly, I didn't follow up for compensation last time as I reckoned it would be too much effort for little recompense, I just swore never to fly Monarch again.....now look where I am just 3 months later!!!!! I am going for the jugular this time.....they won't know what's happened to them when I rock in there on an hour's kip & kick off...... h34r: :angy:
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    Calm down Dear, it's only a commercial!

Ardross
    A total shower - some friends of mine who flew back from Barcelona recently were concerned at the age of the plane - ashtrays everywhere

Thanks
    Cheers Relkeel me ol' mucker!!! I will still be at the airport in an hour or so....do believe Mrs Relkeel is planning on popping in for a drink? & don't worry...I haven't started on the vodka yet!!!

You're right, Ardross.....their plaves aren't the Mae West...& the funny thing is that the operator in Luton tried telling me as they are scheduled they never have delays......then I pointed out that this is the 2nd time I've flown them since June & both flights have been either cancelled or delayed - both due to aircraft that are unfit to fly!!! :huh: :unsure: h34r:

Thanks
    Sorry to be flippant Shad.

I think that, because I spend almost all my life watching Atheraces (with occasional flicks over to RacingUK), my mind has become overwhelmed by continuos and crap adverts.

I feel that it will do me good if climb to the top of the Rock of Gibraltar and shout as loud as I can......

...I AM NOT A HOMEOWNER, I DON'T WANT A LOAN, I DON'T WANT TO REMORTGAGE, I AM NOT OVER 50, I AM NOT LOOKING FOR CHEAPER CAR INSURANCE AND I HAVE NOT BEEN IN A ******* ACCIDENT IN THE LAST 3 ******* YEARS.

Does anyone else feel like this? Should I see a doctor?

Kathy

Yep, you are probably in the minority Relkeel along with me and millions of others. Just because you don't need them now, doesn't mean you will never need them so they will keep reminding you...... just in case!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I remember standing on the top of the Rock last summer looking a planes landing BELOW me. It was an amazing sight. It looked like Monarch and looked on time.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Relkeel if you ain't a homeowner they wouldn't give you a remortgage even if you wanted one!

Thanks
    Bugger

Thanks

Banned
    Thanks
    Fingers crossed her plane lands at some time soon!!!!

Thanks
    Foxes 1 Foxy Lady 0 B)

Only time I flew Monarch - no problems at all.
    The older I get the better I was.

Ardross
    They must have known you were going to be on the flight archie

Thanks
    My mother and I flew Monarch, returning from a truly appallingly 'arranged' trip to the Olympics (Barthelona) in 1992. Such was the comfort and charm of the airline, on top of the traumas we'd gone through during our stay, that I begged two cigarettes off her, and smoked one straight after the other. Bugger the asthma, I thought, and got high as a kite.

The only airlines to have outdone it are Syrian Arab, and Ariana or whatever Bangladesh's national fleet is called - but that's not quite fair. The plane I was on only burst into flames after we'd got to our taxis.
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    Got to the airport & was told that the flight was re-routed to operate via Malaga & was delayed by 4 hours...fantastic! Got to Luton about 2.30am & made it back to Mums about 4.30 as she lost the carpark ticket & had to go back to the terminal to get another one!! Monarch are going to get a very pleasant (!!&#33 letter from myself askng htem why they no longer believe in using airplanes that are fit to fly!!!

Thanks
    But isnt it worth it when you get here???

( BTW - I've got us a gig..... if you're still here next week - it involves a big cardboard cake and a python.......... )
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Fired off a letter of complaint to Monarch last week, it'll be interesting to see if they have anything to say. If they don't, I'm going to send a copy of the letter to the Gibraltar Chronicle; as they are one of only two airlines allowed to fly into Gib I'm sure they won't want it broadcast in the daily paper about their recent numerous mechanical faults with planes.

Btw, Trudi - only just seen your post - maybe next time I'm over for the gig eh??!!

Thanks
    In case anyone is interested, here is the letter (& thus the story&#33 of my doomed flight back to the UK.....I will not be recommending Monarch Airlines to anyone!

Customer Relations Department
    Monarch Airlines
    Prospect House
    Prospect Way
    London Luton Airport
    Luton
    Bedfordshire LU2 9NU

Ref Flight ZB069 22/09/04 Gibraltar-London

To Whom It May Concern

I would like to express my disappointment and distress concerning the above flight upon which I was a passenger. I received a telephone call at approximately 16:00 CET from a friend to inform me that the Monarch flight from Luton that was due to have landed at 11:30 CET was delayed and had not left Luton by that time. I tried to telephone Gibraltar Airport, both Flight Information and the Monarch Desk but both lines were either engaged or broadcasting a recorded message. After this I telephoned Customer Services at Luton who said that they were not sure how the evening flight was affected but yes, the morning flight had not departed, and yes, my flight was very likely to be delayed. The woman I spoke to
    suggested that telephoning Gibraltar Airport Flight Information was the best way of
    obtaining more information. After several more attempts at getting through I finally managed to speak to someone at Flight Information who assured me that there were no delays whatsoever and to check in as normal even though I told her what I had been told by Luton. As I was getting out of my taxi at the Airport the news came through that not only was the flight delayed by 4 hours but it had also been re-routed via Malaga. The reason given for the flight delay and the switch to Malaga was that the original plane had mechanical problems and the new plane was too large to land on Gibraltar's runway. I would be very interested to hear from yourselves exactly why it took you 12 hours to 'find' a suitable
    replacement aircraft when you patently knew at 07:50 GMT that the scheduled airplane was not able to fly. In fact, I would be further interested to hear why you appear to have so many mechanical problems with your planes at present as a colleague of mine was on the Luton to Gibraltar flight the previous day and was asked to get off the aircraft after boarding as it was unsuitable to fly. Does this mean that you were aware of the mechanical problem twenty four hours before the scheduled flight from Luton at 07:50 GMT on the Wednesday morning?
    Perhaps you are having extensive mechanical problems with your fleet instead and this was a completely different aircraft that was not fit to fly on the previous day.

The ironic part of this tale is that on the previous occasion that I chose to fly Monarch back to the UK the flight was cancelled after landing at Gibraltar as, coincidentally enough, the plane was deemed to be unfit to fly back to the UK. This was the Gibraltar - Luton flight on Wednesday June 16th due to depart in the evening. On this occasion a replacement craft was flown to Malaga and
    those of us travelling on the flight had to wait at Malaga until 03:30 CET when we finally became airborne.

I live and work in Gibraltar; the whole point of me choosing to fly on the evening flights is that I can fly after work and still arrive in the UK at a decent hour. I usually fly with BA and you can rest assured that I will continue to use them wherever possible as I am exceptionally disappointed with the service I have received from Monarch Airlines on the two flights I have had with you in the last three months. Not only is your service disappointing but I find it amazing that you can market yourself as a 'budget airline' and offer 'a better service' to passengers by cutting out the in flight meal and complimentary beverages yet fail to lower
    your prices! An average scheduled flight with Monarch from Gibraltar to London costs around the same as an average scheduled flight with BA from Gibraltar to London yet I have never once experienced a delay with a BA flight to or from the UK and they always serve in flight food & complimentary beverages.

I did not forward a complaint to yourselves about my flight home in June although at the time I was very aggrieved at the long delay; I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt. This time however I feel that I have to draw your attention to this matter as to have such flight disruptions after working all day twice in three months I believe to be a little too much to stomach.