Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby

Thanks

Ruby

another bad ride cost him the race in the first race in Ireland

Thanks
    Agree with you today Suny,but generally he`s the best judge of pace riding at present.

Thanks
    WM just had a message relayed on ATR that Ruby told to be the last to challenge.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    People easily and regularly confuse a jockey who gives a horse a 'patient' ride with those who give a horse a good ride. Ruby wins a lot with the horses he's on. I rarely feel he wins on horses he shouldn't.

Added to the above, I find him an arrogant prat.

Thanks
    Awful ride....I just get the feeling he is due a major one in a big race soon enough particularly given the way he has been riding.
    Last edited by Guest_; 12th February 2009 at 3:48 PM.

Thanks
    I made my views on Ruby on the Denman thread the other day and got shot down. In my opinion he is the Spencer of the jumps world, I hate seeing him do it. I have seen Carberry do it a lot for Meade and Martin but often it comes off for him, whilst Ruby seems to go from cruising to nothing all too often, or like to today get let down by a bad mistake at the last.

Thanks
    dont agree with you there, id have carberry as the spencer ofthe jumps world tho. it rarely comes off for him, but usually comes off for ruby. ruby i smore versatile inmy opinion, and the best there is.

Thanks
    Sam Thomas as I said on Saturday !!! should have been on Osako D'Airy, Ruby can't ride for crap over fences. Up goes Thomas 9/2 thank you very much.

Theres only one Jockey Nicholls should be thinking of ditching and it ain't Sam.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame View Post
    Ruby can't ride for crap over fences.
    Theres only one Jockey Nicholls should be thinking of ditching and it ain't Sam.
    Has a pretty decent record over the biggest fences of the them. He is a superb jockey that is not riding well since he came back from injury.

I dont see why Nicholls should be getting rid of any jockey. He is better off just shutting up.

Comparing Carberry or Walsh with Spencer is laughable.

Thanks
    There is more chance of me getting the top job at Nicholls as there is of Ruby getting Ditched. Hes ten times the pilot of Thomas, i wasnt hearing about how great Sam was in the last few months when he got turned over left right and centre.

Ruby misjudged it today, he got done in a photo. The O Grady horse is no mug, and i think Andy Mc held on to as much as he could til after the last, while at the same time coming across enough to make Ruby switch to the inner before the last. The Credit needs to go to McNamara in my book for a good ride.

Walsh was told to challenge after the last,he came there with plenty of horse, tried to challenge, didnt get up. If he had went on after two out he may have stopped in front. Who knows.

Id have Ruby Walsh on my horse every day of the week. To say Thomas would have won on Osaka at the weekend is bordering on ridiculous. The horse absolutley ploughed through fences at a critical time. Walsh minded him when his chance had gone, and let him come home in his own time, to be able to come out less than a week later and lift 12k. I think the horse won a poor race today, with the Fav underperforming big style. I didnt think too much of the way Thomas got Osaka Dairy to jump in the home straight either, dont know how that could be praised... Horse had an absolute ton in hand today, but until its jumping improves im afraid it will struggle when they go a better pace.

Thanks
    Osaka Dairy must be the worst example possible as a pointer to Thomas's superiority over Walsh. Did you see how Thomas rode the doubtful stayer over three miles at Leopardstown at Christmas Flame?!!? Now that was judgement!!

Thanks
    Osako jumped better in both races with Thomas,
    aslo Kempes jumping with Townend was far ahead.

Ruby doing badly at the moment

About Carberry
    I think he is a magician, the best jockey I have seen.

Thanks
    I've always hugely admired Ruby til recently but as I said at the time I don't think he left himself time to get over his operation/treatment and build up his strength again ... rather like Denman really!

He's not riding very well at the mo and it could have physical causes (and of course even in top jocks any loss of confidence leading to tentative riding has disastrous consequences)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
    Osaka Dairy must be the worst example possible as a pointer to Thomas's superiority over Walsh. Did you see how Thomas rode the doubtful stayer over three miles at Leopardstown at Christmas Flame?!!? Now that was judgement!!
    It's okay saying Doubtful stayer, but the trainer opted to go out there with the horse, and least he gave his mount every chance to to win. Also many people would say he had the race won jumping the last.

My point isn't about positioning, or ability in a finish, its purely how he produces horses at obstacles. Ruby over fences this season has been pretty crap.

Thanks
    It's okay saying Doubtful stayer, but the trainer opted to go out there with the horse, and least he gave his mount every chance to to win. Also many people would say he had the race won jumping the last.

My point isn't about positioning, or ability in a finish, its purely how he produces horses at obstacles. Ruby over fences this season has been pretty crap.
    The trainer said in the Racingpost that morning that he was a doubtful stayer and that the drying ground would help. So what does Thomas do...take it up 3 fences from home!!

I actually don't think Thomas is a bad jockey, I defended him earlier in the season regarding Kauto Star etc. In saying that he is not a patch on Walsh and the horse you used as an example to bash Ruby is a horse that can easily be used to bash Thomas.

Like I said, Ruby has not ridden well since returning from injury. Before that and in recent seasons he has been in a different league.

Thanks
    Every jockey goes through a bad patch and makes mistakes, it's just that Ruby generally makes fewer mistakes than everybody else. He's a top notch pilot, and is rarely if ever found wanting when push comes to shove(literally). Nicholls' wouldn't employ the man as his number 1 unless he was THE BEST in the business.
    "Have a little each way on the filly" D.K Weld

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I backed Osaka D'Airy at xmas for a reasonable amount at 23 on BF and had no complaints about Sam Thomas' ride. In fact, I don't think there was any possible way he would have stayed that day and accepted the loss quite easily considering he looked a near 1.01 chance one out. Whilst Thomas may have led further out, he wasn't riding the horse in any way until quite close to home.

Thanks
    Kauto Star might not get the Gold Cup trip...would you be happy to see him kick on 3 fences from home? Of course not....

Banned
    Thanks
    I wonder if someone is going to purposely set a strong pace in the GC to make it hard for KS...are there any horses worth leaving in by a trainer just for pace making duties?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Find it even harder to see how you can be lavishing praise on Sam Thomas in that case, Flame.

I actually think Sam Thomas is a very decent jockey, but he's made his fair share of blunders this season, has he not?

Mullins horse would probably have won today if he flew the last, though I thought he was put off a bit Coleman's horse lugging towards the rail. Incidentally I don't hear anyone talking about the 2m6f maiden hurdle -lifted Palace Marano over the line! Hell of a ride I thought.