Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Not looking good across the water

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
    “We met our sponsors’ needs and with their support we have produced as fine a programme of racing as has ever been seen in this country.
    That's code for saying they have given each sponsor a free marquee!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Todays Indo

UP to 750 jobs at Paddy Power and Boylesports could be under threat if the Government introduces plans to tax telephone betting operations.
    Most Irish phone betting is conducted through offshore centres, but both Paddy Power and Boylesports use Irish call centres. It is thought that government plans to tax these operations would raise just €5m.
    It would also make these call centres "structurally unprofitable", according to one bookie's executive.
    The bookmakers may be forced to relocate dial-a-bet operations to other countries if the tax is introduced. Paddy Power recently acquired a call centre in Belfast.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Irish Field had an article on HRI's talks with Dept of Finance. Martin Cullen (Minister for Sport, Tourism blah di blah) comments last were useful as when asked by the opposition if the funds for racing were guaranteed he simply answered yes. If the opposition get in then Irish prizemoney is dead. They want to cut back dramatically and have no interest in racing. The current government have at least some semblance of an interest in it. Hopefully they will see the woods from the trees. Talking to a bllodstock man last night and he said no-one has any idea about how the sales will go this year. Could be very very bad or just bad. Worryingly, he said he would hate to know how many filly foals are getting knocked on the head when they are born.

Thanks
    "Only War Of Attrition features at shorter than 50-1 in betting for the King George or Gold Cup and the bareness of the Irish cupboard is encouraging Paul Nicholls to dispatch more of his chasers to mop up what remains of the Celtic Tiger wealth."

Missed this when I initially speedread the article. This isn't a stretch, it's complete and utter nonsense if you ask me.
    I await Alan Lee's next article to report that after the success of the Irish horses at Cheltenham, Ireland's economy is back on track and nothing to worry about...as the two are so closely linked!

Thanks

If only it was that easy.

Thanks
    Just spotted this the other day. Interesting that Taaffe now owns Beautiful Vision now. A lot will happen now over the next six months.

"The single largest judgment registered in the last week was by holiday company Sunway Travel, which secured a €450,000 charge against Conor Clarkson, of 28 Cairnfort, Stepaside, Co Dublin, in the High Court. A spokeswoman for Sunway said the company would make "no comment" on the details of the bumper judgment. "

Thanks
    That'll teach him to pay for his fortnight in Benidorm when it falls due.

Thanks
    Lee is at it again in The Times tonight!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6180841.ece

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    Well that seem's one hell of a punt to me as he may upset everyone, but he can say he gave a shot.
    :cool: Never say never

Thanks
    Further Changes to Funding of Racing Industry
    Announced by Horse Racing Ireland
    Prize Money to be reduced by additional 5%
    Operating Costs to be reduced by additional 5%
    Continued suspension of Racecourse Capital Development Programme

Horse Racing Ireland (HRI) today announced a further series of budgetary measures for 2009. These are in response to the challenging economic environment, the €1.2 million reduction in funding to the industry announced in the April 2009 Budget, and a significant drop in HRI’s overall income, which is forecast to be down by 14% year-on-year. The new measures include a range of cost saving initiatives, a reduction in prize money, and continued restrictions on racecourse capital development projects.

HRI’s Chief Executive, Brian Kavanagh, stated: “We are in unprecedented times, and the HRI Board is taking these measures to ensure that racing operates to a balanced budget for the year.” The key features of the revised HRI budget for the remainder of 2009 are as follows:

1.Prize Money

Total prize money will be reduced by a further €2.7 million to €53.8 million in 2009, with a 5% cut in base values to be applied across all race categories from the end of May. This has been necessitated by a significant drop in the level of owners’ entry fees and race sponsorship compared to last year. Overall, with the cuts previously announced, prize money will fall by €6.6 million or 11% in 2009. A further reduction in the administration fee and prize money for Point-to-Points will also apply from this autumn.

2.Racecourse Capital Developments

The Racecourse Capital Development Fund will continue to be curtailed with no new projects approved in the short term. This Fund is financed by long term borrowings and until the issues surrounding the long term future of the Horse and Greyhound Racing Fund are addressed, borrowings to cover necessary future developments cannot be put in place.

3.Cost Savings

Additional cost savings of €0.5 million (or 6%) will be achieved within HRI through further cuts in central overhead and administration costs.

4.Integrity Costs

Further savings of €445k (or 6%) are being sought from the Turf Club for 2009 in relation to the integrity costs.

HRI’s Chief Executive, Brian Kavanagh, added: “While further cutbacks at this point of the year are regrettable, they are unavoidable in the current climate. An improvement in the economic environment and most importantly secure, long term funding are central to a return to growth in the industry. HRI continues to work to achieve this aim, so as to safeguard the 16,500 mainly rural jobs within the Irish horse racing and breeding industry, and to ensure the resumption of the Racecourse Capital Development Programme as soon as possible.”

Thanks
    Poor news.
    It's a flat 5% across the board, for every race -- but it's not a good way to go. Losing 5% of 2000 is 100 & isn't that quite a hefty chunk for those working at the 'more economic' levels after expenses?
    Michael

just looking .... again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrussell View Post
    Poor news.
    It's a flat 5% across the board, for every race -- but it's not a good way to go. Losing 5% of 2000 is 100 & isn't that quite a hefty chunk for those working at the 'more economic' levels after expenses?
    It will be interesting to see whether they stagger the reduction in prizemoney so that the lesser pots aren't as badly hit. Only a year ago they where trying to get the no. of horses in training down. Now they're having to announce emergency budgets to tackle the consequences of getting their wish.

Having said that the prizemoney is still reasonable. The first race in Sligo on Sunday is a maiden hurdle worth €5,528 to the winner. If owners go looking for value for money from trainers, being an owner is still viable.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    It will be interesting to see whether they stagger the reduction in prizemoney so that the lesser pots aren't as badly hit.
    I disagree with any approach which favours prize-money for poorer horses over better horses. IMO, prizemoney for low class racing should neve rhave gotten to the levels they did. A 0-60 handicap being worth 8k/10k. Madness. This sort of prizemoney encouraged owners to have bad horses in training. Now that these owners (mainly synidcates buying cheap horses) are gone, there should be some protection of those willing to go out and pay 25-30k for a horse. I would advocate a 50% cut in the lowest grades of races and redistribute into the middle grades. We need to focus on who is spending the money and who racing wants to protect. The 100k guy has enough money not to be overly bothered by prizemoney, its the 20-30k guy that now needs to be encouraged by keeping prizemoney in the mid tier level up. Those that only want to pay 5k for a horse or want to keep a bad horse in training should run for poor money if there horses ability matches its price at auction.

Thanks
    Heck, Cantoris - half the foals didn't sell last year, and the rest of those that did sold for peanuts. We've also heard the horror rumours of many being destroyed, rather than kept by their breeders. By your reckoning, low cost equals low performance and deserves rubbish prize money. There's no guarantee that this year's sales will show any upswing, either, so breeders big, medium, but particularly small, will continue to be burnt. Only the mega-rich will still pay top bucks, while the middle-size spender can get a beautifully-bred animal (foal or yearling) for a good third less than he would've done in 2007.

A small example is the colt foal I sold to Jim Murphy of Redpender Stud last year. I bought the unraced DANETIME mare i/f to MAJESTIC MISSILE for £5000 at Goff's February Sales in 2008. The foal went to Tatts foal sales and made the minimum bid, which is £840 (800 guineas). The cost to enter the damn sale was £540! Add to that keep, prep fees of around £250, transportation, and the sales house's commission, and I came out with a charming little loss. The ICEMAN filly which Songsheet and I presented failed to make her not absurd reserve of £3000, so we have all of her cost and keep until she's presented as a yearling this year. Neither animal was badly bred, in fact they're the sort of middle-of-the-road animal which forms the backbone of handicap racing, but you appear to be predicating prize money on what a youngster might've cost.

In that case, never mind losing 5% - knock prize money down to 20 Euros and be done with it! (Sickly grinning emoticon here.) And then all Irish races will just simply be won by Magnier/Tabor/McManus, and we can all go home.
    Last edited by krizon; 4th May 2009 at 1:05 AM.
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krizon View Post
    By your reckoning, low cost equals low performance and deserves rubbish prize money.
    I'm a national hunt man and here's how I see things, having been to a lot of national hunt sales over the last seven or eight years. The sales were made up of four different types of people, the rich, the point-to-point man, the syndicate or middle tier buyer, and the low cost buyer (whether individual or syndicate). They all pushed the sales values up and as it went up our min prizemoney in Ireland went up to 8k. That was whether you won a bumper, a maiden hurdle or a bad race. People were being encouraged to buy cheap horses as they had a chance to get as much prize money as the middle tier buyer. While we all know, particularly in national hunt, that auction price does not always match ability, there is still a strong correlation and you would want to be blind not to realise that 20% of the horses in Ireland over the last five to seven years should not have been bred (and therefore why they are not living for too long if you believe the rumours). But this was driven by the prices the horses were making at the sales, driven by the economy and the prizes on offer. You only had to win one or two races to cover your training costs, irrespective of the level of race. Again madness. So there needs to be a massive correction in the prizemoney similar to what will happen at the sales. The bottom tier of horses need to be uneconomical to keep so they fall out of the system. An prizemoney should match. I put togehter syndicates buying horses at the 20-35k level and I find it really hard to justify spening that money when the next lad can spend 5k and run for the same money.

Thanks
    I disagree with any approach which favours prize-money for poorer horses over better horses. IMO, prizemoney for low class racing should neve rhave gotten to the levels they did. A 0-60 handicap being worth 8k/10k. Madness.
    Who said anything about favouring prize money for poorer horse. I'm talking about reasonable prize money for poorer horses. The reason Hri say they are having to take this step is..

This has been necessitated by a significant drop in the level of owners’ entry fees and race sponsorship compared to last year.
    If the prizemoney at the bottom becomes unequitable than this phenomenon will snowball. In brief ordinary horses have got to have a chance of paying their way too. The 8 -10k prizemoney for poorer horses was relative to what it was costing to buy them and what trainers where charging to train them.

This sort of prizemoney encouraged owners to have bad horses in training.
    Now that these owners (mainly synidcates buying cheap horses) are gone, there should be some protection of those willing to go out and pay 25-30k for a horse. I would advocate a 50% cut in the lowest grades of races and redistribute into the middle grades. We need to focus on who is spending the money and who racing wants to protect. The 100k guy has enough money not to be overly bothered by prizemoney, its the 20-30k guy that now needs to be encouraged by keeping prizemoney in the mid tier level up. Those that only want to pay 5k for a horse or want to keep a bad horse in training should run for poor money if there horses ability matches its price at auction.
    Givus a break, no one goes out to buy a bad horse and prices paid do not dictate racing ability. And why in particular do the middle grades or lets call them average horses, deserve any greater protection from the recession than the poorer horses.Owners buy at all different prices depending on what they consider value. The mystical 20-30k guy you talk about, shouldn't be paying 20-30k for the same animal this year as 2 years ago. Focusing on the people who spend the money is focusing on anyone who pays training fees, entry fees etc. You pay bigger money at the Sales (if you can) because it gives you a greater chance of getting a good one. The 100k guy you mention has bills to pay too. Sounds to me like your just ring fencing your own patch for protection. A drop in prize money should be equitable but keeping a horse in training should have a reasonable chance of breaking even in any given year on prizemoney. Sacrificing the lower end will only result in less entries etc and will aggravate the situation. There is no nice neat correlation between how much is paid in the Sales ring and what rating band the horse will compete in.
    Last edited by Sheikh; 4th May 2009 at 1:07 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    If the prizemoney at the bottom becomes unequitable than this phenomenon will snowball. In brief ordinary horses have got to have a chance of paying their way too. The 8 -10k prizemoney for poorer horses was relative to what it was costing to buy them and what trainers where charging to train them.
    So how has racing in the UK survived then when the poorest races are run for a couple of grand?? They still seem to have plenty of runners. I've no patch to protect. I'm not in racing for the prizemoney and if it was halved I wouldn't cry. We've put a 100k into Kimberlite King and got back 30k in three wins. If we had received half that it would have been the same. But those lads went outr and paid 27k for their horse and if anyone expects to get a "return" from it, then they should have a better chance than the lads who put in 5k to buy a horse and win the same for a small little handicap somewhere. To the contrary, it is owners of bad horses and the breeders of same that are the loudest voices in the prizemoney debate as they want to maintain something that is no longer sustainable. Why shouldn't racing prizemoney follow the price of horses where the better the horse, the less his price will fall by and in the same light, the worse the race, the more prizemoney % is taken off it.

martin
    Cantoris seems to have a strong moral compass on this one - we could do with a fella in England prepared to tell people certain things the hard way.

I haven't a clue where it all went wrong for Irish racing - great country, great horses etc, why so much shite racing? Whats going on over there?

Perhaps people need to swallow their pride and look at how to invest wisely in the future.

sounds like one big rat race gone wrong to me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I haven't a clue where it all went wrong for Irish racing - great country, great horses etc, why so much shite racing? Whats going on over there?
    Martin I think you have got the wrong idea....there are plenty of shite horses over here but little in the way of shite races.

Good arguements put forward by both Sheikh and Cantoris.

Thanks
    there are plenty of shite horses over here but little in the way of shite races.
    I knew that's what I meant to say!!! Gal, why did you let me write so much when the one line would have worked perfectly??

It was summed up to me a few years back when a lad I know had a filly rated around 50. She couldn't win a race (placed a few times) and was running at Galway in September on the flat and he said it was prob here last run. I asked him what he was going to do with her and he said "sure what do you think, she's a grand looking mare and I can get her covered for 3k and if the offspring can stand straight, with those looks some fool will pay 10k for him and I'll be a few grand up. Sure at worstI'll cover my costs". I knew then there was a problem and was advocating a rapid rise in the handicap ratings, even higher than where they are now. It's those sorts of lads that are now complaining they can't sell their foals and that the other mare they have (a half sis to the 50 rated above) should be runnng for 8k.......and shes rated 50 too!!

I would be a strong advocate of racing taking it on the chin and making some hard decisions now. Now is the prime time to cut back so when we get out of this mess in four or five years time we have a product which will be on a very upward curve. It might not sound palatible but my manifesto would be to cut the bottom tier of prizemoney by 50% to €4k a race (still higher than Wolverhampton) with a few decent handicaps or restricted conditions races at €15k to give them something to aim at. The middle tier (the bumpers, maiden hurdles/chases, flat handicaps of 70-100, handicap hurdles 90/102+, novice events) should be cut by 20% (I think 15% already in) and the top tier should be cut by 20% with an individual view as to which ones should be cut by more and which ones less. Irish Racing should volunteer this on the condition that no further cuts take place in 2010.

It certainly won't be popular with some owners and trainers or the anti Willie Mullins brigade but I have horses in all those captions and racing needs to take a pull if it is to last the trip. I'll stop ranting now!!