Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Not looking good across the water

Thanks
    Horse Racing Ireland Issues 2008 Industry Statistics
    - On-Course Betting down 18%
    -Attendances down 9%
    -Bloodstock sales down 43.6%
    2008 saw a contraction in the Irish horse racing industry for the first time in over fifteen years as the effects of the economic slowdown, coupled with unprecedented bad weather conditions, hit the sector in the second half of the year.

The industry has enjoyed consistent growth across all key measures since the introduction of the Horse and Greyhound Racing Fund in 2001, and is today a significant employer, a vital part of the rural economy and a showcase for Ireland in terms of thoroughbred breeding and elite international sporting achievement. Participation in the sport in 2008 grew to its highest ever level, with record numbers of fixtures, races, runners and owners. There was also a rise in total prize money, which remains the vital catalyst for economic activity in the industry by driving investment in bloodstock and providing the commercial incentive to put horses into training.

However, most of the other key performance indicators were down and staff cutbacks and redundancies are now a stark reality for many businesses within the industry. Attendances at the 27 racetracks fell by 9% from their record level of 1.527m in 2007 to 1.390m last year. More than 50% of the overall drop can be attributed to the significant number of meetings lost due to inclement weather, especially from August-October. There were 42 cancellations in total, up from 12 the previous year including important race days at the Tramore, Tralee, Galway (September) and Listowel Festivals, as well as Irish Champion Stakes Day at Leopardstown. More than 112,000 racegoers attended the equivalent fixtures in 2007, whereas the rescheduled dates in 2008 saw a combined total attendance of just 38,000.

The most dramatic decline during 2008 was in bloodstock sales at public auction, which dropped by 43.6% to €99.5 million, reflecting a breeding industry now under significant pressure. On-course betting turnover also fell significantly by 18.2%, with bookmakers (down 21.5%) faring worse than the Tote (down 10.1%).

The drop in these measures must be viewed in the context of an industry that has enjoyed significant growth. Between 2000 and 2007, on-course betting rose by 25% and off course betting grew by a massive 208%. Fixtures increased by 23%, while prize money nearly doubled. Over the period, the number of foals produced grew by 44% and the number of horses in training soared by 52%, creating significant extra employment.

Brian Kavanagh, Chief Executive of Horse Racing Ireland (HRI), said: “While 2008 will be remembered as the first year of contraction in the industry for some time, once again we saw some outstanding performances on the racetrack”. He noted: “Irish trained horses won a staggering 29 of the 44 Group 1 flat races held in Britain and Ireland, while three of the top five horses in the world in 2008 were bred in Ireland, and two of these were trained here. This level of consistent success showcases our industry at the highest international level. Our challenge now is to protect our enviable record and to focus on building upon the achievements of recent years”.

Referring to the drop-off in attendances, Mr. Kavanagh said: “The combination of lower spending and poor weather, particularly during the second half of the year, saw overall attendances decline from a very successful year in 2007, but encouragingly all of the major Festival meetings held up reasonably well”. He added that the improvement of racecourse facilities remained a priority for HRI in 2009: “We need to deliver high quality, competitive racing at appealing venues that offer good value for money. Racecourses generate employment and tourism activity, and the industry needs long-term certainty of funding so that we can put in place the borrowings required to undertake the necessary capital investment.” However, he went on to warn: “With a range of cutbacks already in place for 2009 due to the reduction in our Government funding, owners, trainers, breeders, and all of the 16,500 people who rely on the industry for their employment, will need to brace themselves for the tough times that lie ahead”.

Brian Kavanagh concluded: “With so many demands on Government resources and finances, now is the time for the racing industry to become truly self-financing, as it is in most other countries. This can be done with a meaningful levy on betting, including all off-shore internet and telephone betting which has wrongly escaped the taxation net up to this point. Horse racing is one of the very few fields in which Ireland is recognised as a world leader, due to its indigenous skills base and tradition of enlightened Government policy. HRI welcomed the changes announced in Budget 2009 in this regard and believes that, working with the Government, we can ensure that the mechanism of the Horse and Greyhound Racing Fund can be fully financed by betting duty. Indeed, this is now more important than ever given the significant part the industry plays within the economy. It is a major net contributor to the Exchequer and plays a critical role in the rural and agri-economies. As the economic downturn develops, it is vital that the industry has the long-term certainty of funding that will allow it to plan and invest.

This focus will ensure that Irish racing and breeding maintains its dominant position in one of the world’s most competitive international markets.”

For further information, contact:
    Brian Kavanagh, Chief Executive, Ph: 045 455641
    Tamarisk Doyle, PR Manager, Ph: 045 455685

Statistical Summary

Irish Thoroughbred Racing Industry Statistics,
    Year ended 31st December 2008
    Number of Fixtures: (incl. N.I.)
    Up 2.7% from 333 to 342
    Number of Cancelled Fixtures
    Up 250% from 12 to 42
    Number of Rescheduled Fixtures
    Up 116% from 12 to 26*
    Number Of Races:
    Up 2.4% from 2,397 to 2,454
    Point to Point Fixtures:
    Up 2.8% from 107 to 110
    Point to Point Races
    Up 8.5% from 847 to 919
    Number Of Races:
    Up 2.4% from 2,397 to 2,454
    Total Prize Money
    Up 1.3% from €59.6m to €60.4m
    Ø National Hunt:
    Up 0.7% from €28.5m to €28.7m
    Ø Flat:
    Up 1.9% from €31.1m to €31.7m
    Total Number Of Runners:
    Up 0.9% from 34,291 to 34,591
    Number of Individual Runners
    Up 2.6% from 8,810 to 9,042
    Number of Individual Winners
    Up 4.4% from 1,710 to 1,786
    Number of Individual Placed Horses
    Up 3.2% from 4,040 to 4,171
    Total Number of Owners
    Up 0.9% from 5,588 to 5,641
    Number of New Owners
    Down 14.7% from 1,449 to 1,237
    Total Number of Horses in Training:
    Down 0.6% from 12,188 to 12,119
    Total Number of Eliminations
    Down 18.4% from 24,519 to 20,012
    Total Betting from On-Course: (Tote, On-course Bookmakers /On-Course SP Shops)
    Down 18.2% from €282.3m to €231.0m
    Ø Tote Betting:
    Down 10.1% from €61.3m to €55.1m
    Ø On-Course Bookmakers:
    Down 21.5% from €205.2m to €161.0m
    Ø On-Course SP Shops:
    Down 5.7% from €15.8m to €14.9m
    Total Sponsorship:
    Down 5.4% from €9.2m to €8.7m
    Total Attendances (incl. Northern Ireland):
    Down 9.0% from 1,527,078 to 1,390,794
    Bloodstock Sales at Public Auction:
    Down 43.6% from €176.5m to €99.5m

*31 fixtures were cancelled on their original dates. 11 fixtures were rescheduled and cancelled for a second time. The total number of fixtures was five less than scheduled.

Thanks
    It will be interesting to see what happens now. HRI are throwing out the syndicate tickets left right and centre. A fiver in yesterday and the lad on the gate had a handful of them so it will get punters through the gate. However, prizemoney needs to be reduced significantly for the low end IMO. There is going to be some fun at the sales this year and from what I heard over the weekend, nice horses will be easily picked up. Finally, and on a sadder note, there will be a lot of horses disappearing over the next 6 months and it will be important that owners are responsible and don't neglect their horses. There will be a cull and it is the owners repsonsiblity to ensure that horses do not suffer during the process.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantoris View Post
    However, prizemoney needs to be reduced significantly for the low end IMO.
    Reduce it at the high end, they don't need it as much

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Reduce it at the high end, they don't need it as much
    Don't say that to my poor syndicate members!!

Thanks
    Don't say that to my poor syndicate members!!
    Those Lads all have villas in Spain on the back of Brave Inca and one them does bookie at leopardstown just as a hobby !!

Thanks
    Anecdotal only but from an extremely reliable source in Ireland - culling of mares and foals has already started quite extensively and the general consensus is that this is going to have to continue over the next year or so in order to get to a level where there's a reasonable expectation a sale can be attained for those youngster which at least have a decentish pedigree/confirmation.

Hardly surprising when everyone has known for the past ten years that sooner or later the bubble was going to burst and breeding from any old mare and making a profit was eventually going to stop with a vengeance!

I'm retiring two broodmares this year and probably not covering the other three - I would cover SONGSHEET if she foals to time but as she always goes three to four weeks over, I reckon she'll foal too late and so she'll be having next year off too!
    Just Singin' the Blues ........

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That is not anecdotal, Songsheet.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Those Lads all have villas in Spain on the back of Brave Inca and one them does bookie at leopardstown just as a hobby !!
    Have you seen how much those villas have dropped!! I was talking about the other syndicates by the way.....with the 45 different members!!

Thanks
    Have you seen how much those villas have dropped!! I was talking about the other syndicates by the way.....with the 45 different members!!
    I know, pulling your leg as I'm sure you know.

Everyones culling (harsh word, prefer career change )
    I wonder if will it make any difference to the quality of performance on the race course i.e will the average handicap rating go up. I think not, but we'll see.

Thanks
    Doesn't the handicapper employ methods to maintain the average handicap rating at a certain level regardless?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Flynn View Post
    Doesn't the handicapper employ methods to maintain the average handicap rating at a certain level regardless?
    I was wondering about that, but surely there must be away of measuring the performance trend in the breed ?

Thanks
    It will mean an end to the balloting problem. There will be no probs getting a run over the coming years.

Thanks
    Yes , there will be plenty of room at the races in general.

Thanks
    I know, pulling your leg as I'm sure you know.

Everyones culling (harsh word, prefer career change )
    I wonder if will it make any difference to the quality of performance on the race course i.e will the average handicap rating go up. I think not, but we'll see.

'Career change' ?? Well, I suppose if you mean a terminal one, it's a reasonably accurate description!!
    Just Singin' the Blues ........

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    RTE are not sending Colm Murray to Cheltenham. Poor Colm
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Flynn View Post
    Would that be when he "corrects the drift" that occurs over a number of years? I think it happened about 1999 last, when all marks went up by 10lb.
    ... unicorns are busiest at three o'clock in the morning.

[COLOR=blue][I]"It is one of life's tragedies that men become what they oppose."[/I] Dr A Guirdham

[/COLOR][COLOR=#b22222][I]"My glass always tends to be not just half-empty, but cracked with my ale seeping off the table and into my shoes..."[/I] Lydia Hislop[/COLOR]

Thanks
    Yep redhead. I'd guess there's some kind of ideal distribution of ratings and that action is taken whenever the real handicap gets too far out of line.

Thanks
    There's a slaughterhouse in Kilkenny which is doing great business. In fact, it's doing too much business, they simply can't keep up. People are leaving horses there in the night.

Thanks
    Grim.

Thanks
    PUNCHESTOWN SECURES FIVE KEY SPONSORS FOR €1 MILLION FESTIVAL FEATURES

Punchestown Racecourse has secured the support of five key sponsors for its feature events throughout the 2009 National Hunt Festival.

Rabobank, Guinness, Kerrygold, Ladbrokes.com and Ballymore will each lend their name and financial support to the five key races at Ireland’s biggest horse racing festival. The five races will together be worth over €1 million.

In marked contrast to business sentiment over the last number of months, Punchestown Managing Director Dick O’Sullivan revealed today (Monday, February 9th) that corporate and restaurant bookings for the Friday of the Festival were already sold out and that the Tuesday only had a handful of places left.

“We were not willing to stand in the shadows and succumb to the doom and gloom,” said O’Sullivan speaking at a briefing attended by EU Commissioner Charlie McCreevy and Chairman of Horse Racing Ireland, Denis Brosnan. “We met our sponsors’ needs and with their support we have produced as fine a programme of racing as has ever been seen in this country. Though times are tough in the business world, there is still life in the Irish economy and a lot of business bonds will be formed and forged at Punchestown in April. The activities which we host at Punchestown are directly responsible for the creation and protection of an estimated 2,000 jobs locally and this responsibility is something we take very seriously in the current climate.”

“Punchestown is maintaining and developing relationships with all its customers that will survive not only this recession but probably the next as well,” said Charlie McCreevy paying tribute to the economic importance of the Punchestown Festival stating that “last year’s festival was worth over €70 million to the local and national economy” and also highlighting that Punchestown was catering to the regular race goer withgroup discount packages of only €29 for a days racing, a drink, a bet and a race programme.

“Punchestown is an example of how our sport needs to adapt to the market and offer the best value to retain customers at every level from the turnstile to the winners enclosure,” added Denis Brosnan.

Monday also marked the end of a dispute between Paddy Power and Punchestown with the bookmaker renewing support of the Grade One Paddy Power Festival Bumper.

“We are glad that Paddy Power is still part of the family at Punchestown,” said O’Sullivan.

The Punchestown Irish National Hunt Festival takes place from Tuesday 28th April to Saturday 2nd May 2009.