Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Not looking good across the water

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
    Assuming of course the economic climate is like this for the next 10 years...
    It will be something similar.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Grey, your assuming by removing bad racers from the breeding poole and breeding only from the good racers that the no. of good horses bred will grow.Simply not the case.
    I read it as saying that the number of good horses would not increase.

Thanks
    Thank you, Simmo, that was what I was trying to say.

To increase the horse population requires breeding from additional mares. But if the best mares are already in use, then the quality of the mares brought into service in order to increase production cannot be as good. Therefore, other things being equal, there is no great likelihood of the number of good horses increasing as the overall population increases, at least in the short term.

Thanks
    It would be a very simple game if good race horses produced good race horses and bad race horses produced bad race horses.

Thanks
    Absolutely delighted to see The Curragh redevelopment shelved for the time being. The place needs a face lift but the money being spent on a track that is only really full one day a year is crazy.

Thanks
    I was looking forward to all those Classics at Leopardstown!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There's a part of me that doesn't want the Curragh to be redeveloped at all. Love the place as it is!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
    Absolutely delighted to see The Curragh redevelopment shelved for the time being. The place needs a face lift but the money being spent on a track that is only really full one day a year is crazy.
    Totally agree. That money should be spent on Bellewstown. We're jammed at least two days a year!

Thanks
    The Curragh certainly needs a face lift. I was there on St Leger day this year and had a good look around. The Curragh grandstand building looks so delapidated and really needs to be demolished.

I understand the economic issues but the sooner it is changed the better. The racing industry will never attract new racing fans without decent facilities.

Any chance they would scale back this proposed development ? It just looks like it is way too much and not needed.
    2212-6113-12521D3304-5421 Stud

Like many of the very best ten-furlong horses, Powerscourt has that ability to quicken. He's a very tough and genuine horse and was a joy to train."—Aidan O'Brien

Thanks
    I haven't been to the Curragh since the year Grey Swallow won the Derby, but if it's still the same then I'd agree that all it needs is a new main stand in place of that collapsing thing, pref with bars and a restaurant underneath as you have in most racecourses now.

The rest of it is charming, and the proximity of the Stand Hotel helps the place a lot by giving somewhere to eat and drink and meet and greet, both before and after racing.

Thanks
    The road at the back of the grandstand has already been diverted around the back of the hotel, and the hotel itself is due for demolition to allow room for the racecourse enclosures to be expanded.

I'm all for the redevelopment, but I don't like the idea of closing the place completely while it takes place. How would the racing authorities have coped this awful wet summer if The Curragh had been out of commission?

Thanks
    I would like to have seen the redevelopment go ahead for many reasons. I think perhaps people have become emotionally attached to the Curragh as it is. It needs upgrading. On the other hand If it can't be done, it can't be done. Did the banks pull the plug ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I think perhaps people have become emotionally attached to the Curragh as it is.
    Guilty as charged.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. As the clock says: Time reveals all...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trackside528 View Post
    Guilty as charged.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. As the clock says: Time reveals all...
    I have some great memories myself, the course wasn't to change though was it ? .... and that's where those memorable events occured.
    I like the informal walk-in to the Curragh and spacious feel but I'm a great believer in getting things built at any cost,once it's up it wasn't going to be knocked. Somehow, a way would have been found to get through the financial difficulties afterwards. I'm sure it's a complicated decision though. We'll probably hear more on the grapevine later.
    Last edited by Sheikh; 6th November 2008 at 2:48 PM.

Thanks
    "Only War Of Attrition features at shorter than 50-1 in betting for the King George or Gold Cup and the bareness of the Irish cupboard is encouraging Paul Nicholls to dispatch more of his chasers to mop up what remains of the Celtic Tiger wealth."

Missed this when I initially speedread the article. This isn't a stretch, it's complete and utter nonsense if you ask me.
    Last edited by trackside528; 17th November 2008 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks
    For if March comes around and Irish racing has sunk deeper into the doldrums, the Festival will be only half the event.
    No it wont, it will be great!

Lets hammer them into the ground like tent pegs !! As I believe Henry V roared at Agincourt.
    I could be the judge!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle goober View Post
    No it wont, it will be great! .
    Indeed
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It seems that Alan Lee seems to be linking the economic situation to the lack of any top class Irish chasers- a stretch at best IMO. Does that mean the future is rosy with the novice chasing ranks seemingly bulging with talent? Nonsense.

Anyway, with Sizing Europe back to his best (please God!) we'll at least stick it to the Brits in one of the big races!

Not that I give the slightest shite where he's trained...

Thanks
    Of course, we were not voicing such thoughts during the summer, when every Flat race worth winning seemed to be exported either by Aidan O'Brien or Jim Bolger. But that was in another time and, effectively, a different sport. Only now, with the advance of the jumps code that enchants the Irish in a way the Flat has never done, can the depth of the worry lines be seen clearly.
    Alan Lee is a good journalist but to suggest that the O'Brien and Bolger successes of the flat season just ended are part of a different time and a different sport is a sleight of hand. It's true that the cupboard of senior NH performers in Ireland is looking bare at the moment, especially where chasers are concerned, but this has bugger all to do with the collapse of Lehman Bros.

Thanks
    Alan Lee has some valid points, but as a few have mentioned already he is trying to tie far too many things into one basket or reason.