Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242969 ... LastLast

Thread: New Members- Welcome To Talking Horses

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    Welcome to the forum, Black Jack. Look forward to your posts.

I must say this idea of Col's recently has encouraged loads of new faces which is can only be a good thing.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    So what's up with the old faces??

Thanks
    Which idea was it Jinny?

Welcome to Talking Horses all who've joined and I've missed
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    Originally posted by Maurice@Mar 23 2006, 07:24 PM
    So what's up with the old faces??
    Load of hasbeens, Mo!

No I luv yer really! I jus think that with Col sending out an e-mail to all lurking members encouraging all to post or they get canned has encouraged more new faces and others that have possibly visiting now have joined in. More views, more debate.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Hi Everyone

Thought I'd introduce myself, I'm mad about horses and love national hunt racing. Originally from NY but have lived in the UK for 13 years

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forum, starsandstripes.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Welcome aboard Starsandstripes - hope you're enjoying the UK and your Jumps racing.

Martin

Thanks
    Hi, thank you to everyone for welcoming me to the forum. I heard about you from existing members, and have also read in various racing papers. Was surprised and pleased how much knowledge and wit I found here - some forums are drizzle, or dribble, drivel. (?)

I grew up in Calif, my dad broke in quarter horses and took me to dirt tracks as a child. Was a wise man, had a way with animals, we have North American Indian blood. His fav horse was Northern Dancer. Naturally I did not listen to him as much as I should have - but I like to think that he is still with me whenever I manage to make an inspired bit of betting. It was because of him that I followed Sadler's Wells and made the pilgrimage to meet the old sire. I've lived in England for many years and have no intention of 'going home'. Love old racing history, people and horses and feel very strongly that we must preserve it and maintain the wonderful difference of racing and tracks which you are lucky to have in Europe. these horses get forgotten and I hate that. Enjoy the moment too - you never know when it will come again. I like the buzz of the big meetings but love the grit of the little jump tracks. I was very sad when recently read that Brave Spirit has died - a little treasure that Amerca would never understand these days.

I came to England because I was a 'rock chick' and worked in that industry, have given all of that up now and prefer 4 legged heroes. I got tired of the predictability of the rock scene, blonde girlfriends, too many rolls royce's in swimming pools, drugs and rock and roll suicides. yawn.

Have always followed racing and have many favourites, prefer jumps but could never give up the flat either. My soft spot of both codes are the stayers - it was them that got me into racing. I read before I went racing and cannot get into the house for all of the books I own. It was ages before I visited a racetrack here, somehow believed it was just for the elite folks and I am from the wrong side of the tracks really - however I was SO wrong and so glad of that. Everybody has their first equine mates and mine was Double Trigger, but I never saw him in person. His retirement broke my heart and the following weekend I went racing to prevent missing anything else. Jumps was See More Business and Istabraq who first took me to Cheltenham. I work and live in London mostly but retire to an ancient West Country cottage when I can get away. I have bits of both flat and jumps horses with a few trainers, bits of broodmares and two retired racehorses in good loan homes. If I put them all together might have a whole horse! Have won a few races and had places. Obviously I now have no money but lots of dreams.

I am a Nutritional Therapist so if any of you need some advice let me know! Only qualified to administer to people but I use a lot of the knowledge to feed my horses and a few trainers have welcomed suggestions. I also do herbs and what is known as 'vibrational medicine', flower remedies. It works very well with all animals.

Have only been racing for a few years and already clocked up so many fav equines I cannot separate, I live near Double Trigger and this was not an accident, most fun had with See More, love Dessie, greatest flat racehorse known is Mtoto, favourite wayward lad Celeric, but the most amazing horse I have ever been privliged to see and to know is Persian Punch. Best punts on See More who paid for husband and I to attend a whole Cheltenham Festival and stay in a B & B, and I am not a heavy gambler. Have not found any to replace these but live in hope! Loved the 2 mile league last season, Moscow, Zerty and Well Chief. Most missed, One Man, Don'tleavethenest, Punch.

Fav from history - Man o' War, Battleship, Secretariat, Crucifix, Sceptre, Brown Jack and Isinglass. More recent, Oh So Sharp, Nashwan, Generous, Petrushka, Galileo, Montjeu, Nayef, Mubtaker. Naturally Golden Miller, Dawn Run and Arkle.

Finest hour I took part in ? Hard, as See More's wins are foremost especially considering win money, but it is Punch's third Jockey Club Cup at Newmarket when he fought back to just beat brave Millenary, another fav. I had never heard shouting like that on a flat track, great stuff. Not a Group 1 winner sure, but none braver on the flat.

Oh yeah, and I talk a lot.
    Speak your mind, but ride a fast horse. ~ Anon

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Welcome to the forum
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    Terrific to welcome two new members from opposite seaboards of the USA - Californi-ay and Noo Yoik. We're glad to have your enthusiasm and your insights, SaS and Isinglass, and hope you enjoy this forum as much as many of us have for a long time. Enjoy!
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    Welcome to both of you - enjoy !
    Just Singin' the Blues ........

Thanks
    Hi all.
    Have had this forum recommended to me, so popped along, took a look and decided to introduce myself.
    I have been interested in racing since watching a horse called Rambling Bear win on TV when I was about 9 or 10. I then found out the story of Red Run and that helped even more. The exploit of Double Trigger when winning his third Goodwood Cup on TV was the first time I became aware of how much the courage of a horse can influence a race. Couple that with the brave 2nd of Suny Bay in that year's GN and I was completley hooked!!
    Have since been very fortunate to attend many meetings. Was very luck that my mum was tolerant and allowed herself to be dragged off to the races occasionally- Thanks Mum! As a 13 year old kid was very lucky to see the immortal Dubai Millennium at Epsom, followed by the likes of Galileo, Norse Dancer and Alamshar. However, really found a niche with the sport when I attended my first Festival in 2003. When my Mum told me she would take me anywhere I liked for my 18th, I don't think she expected the Cheltenham Festival as an answer!! I loved it and have been back all days since, except Hardy Eustace's first Champion. Was glad that I was able to see the last race of Go Ballistic, a horse who was constantly underrated.
    I love the all welcome aspect of racing, although I do think some of the top notch bods really should address the dress aspect, it makes no difference to the winner of the 3.15 if I'm wearing trainers or proper shoes does it??
    I loved Persian Punch and still kick myself that I didn't go to see him at Sandown in 2003. Also loved Dorans Pride - gutted with what happened.
    Yes according to my name, am a runner, albeit a very slow one and have done a couple of marathons along with more runs.
    I do talk a lot and waffle quite a bit, so my apologies.
    I like this forum compared to a few I have visited, no immature insults, and people are allowed to speak their opinions!
    Anyway, hope to be back soon.
    Regards.
    **zebra power**

Thanks
    Welcome Suerunner

Thanks
    Originally posted by suerunner@May 11 2006, 01:22 PM
    I do talk a lot and waffle quite a bit, so my apologies.
    I like this forum compared to a few I have visited, no immature insults, and people are allowed to speak their opinions!
    Welcome Suerunner - I hope you enjoy Talking Horses

Although I'm not sure how much of this forum you've really seen...........

Thanks
    it makes no difference to the winner of the 3.15 if I'm wearing trainers or proper shoes does it??
    Indeed. All those involved in the violence at Newmarket on Saturday were wearing suits.

Thanks
    Although just looking at the C4 review of the Ladies' Fashions (and I use that term very, very loosely) I'm afraid the majority need to try harder. Much harder..... <_<

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Welcome, suerunner.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Howdy, young Suerunner - enjoy your forum and do take part in the competitions that go on throughout the year. No, you won't win a £100,000 diamond necklace or a Range Rover, but they're fun to do!

The issue of how to dress for race meetings is quite vexed at times. Once upon a time, it depended on which enclosure you could afford. Nowadays, people with plenty of dosh are just as likely to picnic luxuriously in the centre of the course, but dress casually, when in years gone by, that was for the less well-heeled. I think if people want to dress stylishly and elegantly, they should. If people want to wear clothes that Oxfam would reject, that's up to them - it doesn't matter to the horses, and it shouldn't matter to other people, although I'd draw the line at men not wearing shirts at all. (Mainly because it's never the gorgeous ones, it's always short, fat blokes with hairy bellies and man-boobs.)
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    At last - another Go Ballistic fan!!!

Hello everyone - im not normally ignorant ( well, not very... B) ) ive just not read this one yet!!
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Hi all.
    Many thanks for your kind greetings. Songsheet - yes I have now had more of a look around, see what you mean! Krizon, totally agree with you, live and let live attitude. I never win anything, but I'll have a go for a laugh! Trudij, absolutley loved Go Ballistic. A horse who most times gave his all. Occasionally he ran a stinker, but everyones allowed an off day. Can't belive that after coming 4th and 2nd in 2 Gold Cups, 2nd in a Pillar. King George and substitue Gold Cup, how he was still so undervalued. Plus you dont run at 8 or was it 9 Festivals without being a little bit special. Was so glad to see him walk off the track in one piece, was appropriate that his last race was at the CF.
    **zebra power**