Thread: (very) Trivial Cooking Question

Thanks
    I think I am the only person I know who is disappointed at the general omission of corn-on-the-cob from restaurant menus for the last twenty five years. Sure, you end up picking bits out of your teeth for the next couple of days, but I always thought it was worth it.

Superquinn, my local supermarket, are now selling fresh corns of cob by the crate load. I don't think I've ever eaten fresh corn let alone cooked it. I'm sure it's just a matter of boiling it for a prerequisite time, but the problem is I have to get that time right first time. If I end up serving yellow pellets or overcooked mush, I may resign myself to not being allowed to let it enter the house again.

So, how do you cook it?

Thanks
    Isn't the internet a wonderful thing! ... for all those who were burning with curiosity ...

Deborah Rosen
    BellaOnline's Cajun & Creole Editor

Cooking Fresh Corn on the Cob

I've found only one way to guarantee that cooking fresh corn on the cob will come out perfect every time. Here it is:

Husk and wash the fresh corn on the cob.

Put the corn on the cob into a large pot. Add 1/4 cup of milk for each ear (optional...milk helps sweeten the corn on the cob, but it's not necessary for the cooking method). Fill the pot with water, add one short dash of salt for each ear of corn.

Cover pot, and bring to the boil over high heat. When the pot comes to a full boil, turn off the heat. Do not uncover the pot. Allow the corn on the cob to sit for at 20 minutes (you can let it sit for 10 minutes more...the corn on the cob will stop cooking after 20 minutes, so it won't overcook, but it will stay warm).

Kathy
    I love corn on the cob especially with lashings of butter! Still manage to get most of it stuck between my teeth though! :shy:

Thanks
    Love it!
    we have cotc two or three times a week, its cheap,delicious and messy.Don't know why it has not always been available.

Thanks
    Available? Got some 40 acres to harvest come Friday..... :P
    Just Singin' the Blues ........

Thanks
    discount rates?
    You should not confuse your career with your life.

Thanks
    A small word of warning - the flavour of corn on the cob deteriorates very quickly after picking. Best bet is to shoot over to Julie's place and get picking now....
    Man: Do you get wafers with it?

Salesman: Course you don't get bloody wafers with it, it's a bloody albatross isn't it ...

Banned
    Thanks
    I hate cotc.

Ardross
    I can take it or leave it - it's OK

Thanks
    Grand job Jules....I'll be over on Monday!!!

CotC is great....Kathy you're nearly there, it has to have loads of butter & salt sprinkled on it...fantastic!
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    Before you all rush over to visit Songsheet and demolish her 40 acres of maize, just ask whether it is for human consumption or cattle feed.

It's grown for cattle feed here on hundreds and hundreds of acres and for human consumption by what seems a little less.

Peaches and Cream is one of the nicest, sweetest varieties and sells at the end of farm driveways for 85p/doz.

It is lovely on the BBQ, but can easily be prepared by taking the very outer leaves off, putting in a dish with a very small amount of water in (just lining the base), covering with 'cling film' and putting in the microwave for 3 minutes per head of corn.

Remove the remaining leaves and serve with a generous amount of butter. They can be touched up on the BBQ prior to serving, but don't leave them too long.

Enjoy.

Thanks
    They are called 'mealies' in South and Central Africa, and I ate tons of them! Some of them tended to be quite tough, so when I met the American version, I realized just how sweet-tasting they could be. Mmmmm... pass the butter, please!
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    Don't.....I'm getting hungry now!!! For some unknown reason, the powers that be have decided that our food for the night shift will no longer be left in the fridge in teh kitchen on our floor (1st floor) but LOCKED in a kitchen on the 6th floor.......hey, guess what??? The code they've given me for the bloody kitchen door doesn't work!!!!! They could've just told me I'm a fat bitch rather than dropping hints......
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    Griff's absolutely right - our maize is for cattle consumption (and badger/deer/fox PYO!&#33 only and is too hard for us humans.......! Blue likes it though!!
    Just Singin' the Blues ........