Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Derby Weekend

Thanks
    Good to see Septimus winning on a day his sire Sadler's Wells, champion sire in Britain and Ireland no less than 14 times, was inducted into the Irish Derby Hall Of Fame.
    2212-6113-12521D3304-5421 Stud

Like many of the very best ten-furlong horses, Powerscourt has that ability to quicken. He's a very tough and genuine horse and was a joy to train."—Aidan O'Brien

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I read on Final Furlong that New Approach doesn't run.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    So it would appear - Sporting Life
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    Front page on the RP site now

I backed Tartan Bearer last night at 5/2 as I felt the runes were indicating NA as a non-runner and I felt TB's price would collapse this morning - it's now in to 5/4 and people are lumping on

Hope you make a mint Chris :P

Thanks
    Will there not be deductions for those that backed other horses since declaration stage now that NA is out?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Galileo@Jun 29 2008, 10:42 AM
    Will there not be deductions for those that backed other horses since declaration stage now that NA is out?
    Definitely, 37% reduction factor on Betfair so I'd reckon a 40p rule 4 at least.
    I'm bored of this. I'm going for a Twix.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Gamla Stan+Jun 29 2008, 10:49 AM-->
    QUOTE (Gamla Stan @ Jun 29 2008, 10:49 AM)

Thanks
    Curtain Call now interests me. I knew he wouldn`t act at Epsom after watching his trial and on this course he has a chance and is worth a small punt at 10/1

Thanks
    Cannot have Curtain Call anymore....not sure he is good enough and now I have doubts about his temperment.

He should have run in the valuable race at Ascot.

I think its between the first two in the betting, with Frozen Fire being by far the most interesting outsider.

Thanks
    I reckon Curtain Call had a ready made excuse in the plate at Epsom. It normally pays to be prominent at Epsom, and the importance of being there are there abouts at Tattenham is well documented (historically). Spencer does alright on the straight course, but on the round course his record is risible (2 wins in 5 years). It's comparable to Chester where his style seemingly leads to him struggling too
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    I'd agree with Gal's assessment there, regarding all three. I don't think Curtain Call will quite get the trip anyway, though he should on breeding of course.... He seemed to go out very quickly at Epsom and it's hard to believe it was *only* the track which stopped him [or Frank!]

God I hate Rule 4s, I will never understand them. I think anyone's bets should stand until a horse is def stated to be NR :angy: I always discount that sort of factor as it seems so unfair and illogical! If I strike a bet at a price, I expect it to be honoured! That Betfair should apply them is scandalous imo - I'd never really clocked that they did as it would not really have concerned me before, as I usually bet well antepost OR on the day

Thanks
    Originally posted by Headstrong@Jun 29 2008, 09:51 AM
    Front page on the RP site now

I backed Tartan Bearer last night at 5/2 as I felt the runes were indicating NA as a non-runner and I felt TB's price would collapse this morning - it's now in to 5/4 and people are lumping on

Hope you make a mint Chris :P
    Definitely a rule 4 for you Headstrong ~ the market would have been "day of race" since final declarations, in this case Friday. Sometimes swallowing the rule 4 is the best thing to do if you believe that your selection is going to be backed to the exclusion of all else, but mostly you should wait for the EPs to see if anyone stands out.

Edit: just saw your reply. Rule 4 is not a bookies' rule per se and is there to protect the punter in principle; suppose you had backed a non runner on the day - you'd surely want your money back wouldn't you?
    handsome is as handsome does

Thanks
    Took three's in the ante post Sky Bet markets on Thursday and 9am Friday.

Before the New Approach issue came about. Personally must honestly say I wouldn't have been scared about him anyway.

Thanks
    Originally posted by chrisbeekracing@Jun 29 2008, 11:40 AM
    Took three's in the ante post Sky Bet markets on Thursday and 9am Friday.

Before the New Approach issue came about. Personally must honestly say I wouldn't have been scared about him anyway.
    I'm with you in principle Chris with Tartan Bearer, but to say you weren't worried about New Approach is a bit much surely? I'd say his presence gave you value, but he would still have been a danger, wouldn't you say?

By the way, do you intend to press up today ~ I can't think that Skybet would have laid you too big a bet, although that's none of my business. They certainly won't lay me anything substantial.
    handsome is as handsome does

Thanks
    Haven't seen it reported greatly, but didn't Curtain Call sweat his Derby away in the prelims? I don't like his 2-y-o form mind, and I think it's easy to pick holes in it and don't se how he'll be good enough today. I'd be campaigning him for the Leger if he were mine.

Thanks
    Originally posted by rorydelargy+Jun 29 2008, 10:43 AM-->
    QUOTE (rorydelargy @ Jun 29 2008, 10:43 AM)

Thanks
    Originally posted by rorydelargy@Jun 29 2008, 10:38 AM
    Edit: just saw your reply. Rule 4 is not a bookies' rule per se and is there to protect the punter in principle; suppose you had backed a non runner on the day - you'd surely want your money back wouldn't you?
    In fact no - given the choice between those opetions, I'd rather lose the money on the NRs than lose 40% of my winnings just because a hotly fancied horse OTHER people have backed is a NR.

I take the risk when I back a horse antepost it won't run - I'm prepared to do that across the board. It infuriates me when eg some creature plays up in the stalls and is withdrawn, then I lose some huge % of my winnings on a 'good thing' I've sussed out at 16/1 :P

Thanks
    Originally posted by davidjohnson@Jun 29 2008, 10:53 AM
    Haven't seen it reported greatly, but didn't Curtain Call sweat his Derby away in the prelims? I don't like his 2-y-o form mind, and I think it's easy to pick holes in it and don't se how he'll be good enough today. I'd be campaigning him for the Leger if he were mine.
    Could give you a few reason's to why he ran bad at Epsom, but I don't think I should air them on a public forum.

A couple of things came to light afterwards and he is now a good 5 - 10% better than Epsom. A longer straight will also suit him better, as well as the assistance of a jockey on top.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Headstrong+Jun 29 2008, 11:01 AM-->
    QUOTE (Headstrong @ Jun 29 2008, 11:01 AM)

Thanks
    Well yes I can see that, also that the market has to be constructed to accommodate bigger punter like you rather than tenner e/w punter like me! Maths has never been my strong point anyway

21. Similar Threads

1. Irish Champions Weekend
      By Grey in forum General Racing Topics
      Replies: 150
      Last Post: 12th September 2017, 9:02 PM
    2. Irish Champions' Weekend
      By Bar the Bull in forum General Racing Topics
      Replies: 73
      Last Post: 14th September 2013, 2:08 PM
    3. The Derby & Irish Derby 2009
      By Guest_ in forum Forum Gold
      Replies: 1400