Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atkins Diet

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have overindulged during summer and my winter collection of clothes seems a little tighter this season. Has anybody been on a carb free diet and do they work? What are you allowed eat?
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    They do carb free rolos nowadays. :unsure:
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world would be blind. -
    Kahlil Gibran

Thanks
    If your normal routine kept your weight steady you have no need to seek to lose weight. It will come off in the fulness of time.

My father was 10st at your age. Despite eating normally for the next 40 years he was about 8st when he died...

Kathy
    An, it is a quick way to lose weight and I would only recommend if you have a few pounds to lose. Going on the Aktins for more than 10-days to 14 days, I personally would not recommend. You will get an "Atkins" head, which makes you feel as if you are wearing a crash helmet, and you will probably wee alot.

The diet consists of mainly eggs (boiled, scrambled, fried etc etc) , fish (any), cheese (any), meat (any), limited veg etc no sweetcorn or baked beans or peas just stick to spinach, brocolli for the best results!

ABSOLUTELY NO RICE, PASTA, POTATOES OR BREAD
    CUT OUT ALL ALCOHOL
    NO MILK -JUST A LITTLE SKIMMED AND NO CAFFEINE - so water is best if you can face it or perhaps some caffeine free tea or coffee.

If you wanted to give it a try for a few days, I would suggest the following:-

Breakfast: Fried sausages egg and bacon NO BREAD

Lunch: Hot or cold Chicken breat & Mayonnaise, tomato, lettuce and Cucumber
    Low fat Jelly for pud

Dinner: Nice Big Omelette: ie. Cheese with any meat (bacon, ham) you fancy, perhaps a little side salad or some brocolli.
    Low Fat Jelly for pud

Remember, you can have steak with a few mushrooms (NO POTS) with salad and lashing of blue cheese sauce or Mayonnaise

Try it for a 3-4 days, and watch the weight shift. Remember, you lose mostly water the first few days BUT if you are then sensible when you have kicked started your diet, it gives you a real boost.

Remember, you can have lots of fish and meet and cheese and if you can stick it for a couple of weeks it is a great way to kick start any diet. My boyfriend has just lost 2 stone and started on the Atkins for about 7 days and then just carried on on his own. He is just eating sensibly now with restricted beer etc, and he's looking brilliant! Remember to exercise as well... crucial and hide all those crisps, cakes and sweets for a week or two!

Good Luck if you give it a go! B)

Ardross
    I fear the damage the Atkins diet is going to do to the hearts and stomaches of a generation .

There is only one real way to lose weight - eat less and exercise more - that's why its so F*****g hard

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thats an exhuastive, courteous and helpful reply Kathy. Thank You. As a reward I am reducing you by three points in my 'Walking Demon' scale. You are now 121 (disguised).

No Alcolhol!! **** that. I'll try the gym an extra day.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

Thanks
    I agree with Ardross-eating less and exercising more is the way forward.Having said that I did the cabbage soup diet a few years ago and lost a stone in a week and a couple of pounds the week after.It helps if you are not working the week you do it but for a week of pain the rewards are worthwhile.

Kathy
    Thanks An, but I prefer you and I having our ongoing feud in a pleasantly controlled manner as always. I would worry about you if I thought you were piling on the pounds and not at your natural fighting weight. It may give me an unfair advantage. Don't thank me....it's just the sort of person I am! OK alcohol, you can have a gin and slimline tonic, a couple a night MAX!

Ardross, don't knock it if you ain't tried it! :P

It certainly won't work for everyone but if you want to shed a few pounds, I think it's no worse than any other of the faddy diets around as long as you only do it for a few days or perhaps no more than 2 weeks and then cut down on all the things you know are bad for you. There is definitely a fat epidemic in this country, and I respect anyone who knows they are a little on the heavy side and want to do something about it. The key is finding the diet that suits you and sticking to it. Drinking plenty of water, doing more exercise and knowing how much more the wife will fancy you when you have lost that double chin and beer belly may also help! B)

Not everyone will be able to do it, but I know if losing a few pounds & you want to be on a diet where you are not constantly hungry, this one may work for you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Lets not exaggerate. I am still a hunk. I'll try it for a 2 weeks. My target is 6LBs. If anybody wants to sponsor me I'll raffle the bottle of Bolly Ardross owes me for contributors. I won't cheat.

The charity is 'Prisoners Dependents', Falls Rd, Belfast.

Thanks
    Hmmm.......Atkins Diet, not for me!! Seriously, I did look into trying it at one point when everyone was raving about it but you are so limited on what you can eat, inthe first couple of weeks even salad & vegetables are a no-no! You can literally eat meat & eggs if I remember correctly - bollocks to that! It also damages your liver & kidneys & makes your breath stink, apparently!! Anyhow, I find the simplest diets the best...the one that has helped me shift some of the flab recently is the "lots of vodka, hardly any food & lots of sex" diet.....it works a treat!!!! B)
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    I did the Atkins Diet once - it does work, and I even cheated by drinking copious amounts of wine.

The reason it works is because you are actually on a low calorie diet. Think about it. What snackfood has no carbs - and fruit isn't allowed. There's only so much meat you can eat, normally it's the spuds/rice/pasta that fills you up. For the first 2 weeks you are supposed to eat minimal amounts of salad as well. The whole process of eating becomes boring and unfullfilling. Basically you go around sick and miserable. It's not quite the same as being constantly starving because you o/d so much on meat you don't feel like eating any more, but all energy disappears.

One other side effect is that you get pissed exceptionally quickly, which can be good or bad depending on your point of view. As I was so miserable on this bloody diet, the prospect of getting sozzled was quite inviting.

The incentive though is on the scales. It does work.

Derek.Burgess
    An,
    if you are looking for Joe,you won't find him down there,try the Shankhill

Thanks
    You want to lose only six pounds? You can go on a fast. That's no solid food. Drink as much water as you want. Start the day with a cup of tea or coffee, whichever you usually take. Mid-morning have a tumbler of a real fruit juice (not a squash). Midday have a tomato juice or a veg juice like V-8. Sip away at your fruit juice if you want until dinnertime, when you can have a nice soup, but not one full of meat and vegetables. Tomato, oxtail, chicken, mushroom, consomme, etc.

Don't drink right up to bedtime or you'll pee all night. I've lost about 4 lbs after 3 days of it, then had a bit of lettuce and a tomato. Haven't weighed again yet, but the trousers are a bit slacker, so there's some progress, though I'm not exercising.

And before anyone rushes to yell about how bad this is - balls. I first did it at a registered health farm several years back and lost 12lbs in one week. I repeated it some years later for 28 days and lost 28 lbs, went on holiday to Spain, eating only fish and salads, and lost another 12 lbs - a total of 40lbs in under two months. And kept the weight off, because I'd retrained my appetite.

I exercised by walking about 3 miles a night, briskly, and in Spain by walking and swimming. You might get a wee pressure headache on the third day, and after that your energy levels fly. It isn't long to go without alcohol, but if you must, then a small glass of wine as a treat to yourself would be okay, taken with the soup.
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Ardross
    No sounds terrible - it is the old eat less exercise more . I hate it and I am no good at it

Thanks
    Aunty K's got a point.....after a few days your stomach shrinks so you physically can't eat loads any more!! It does expand again though, so remember to stop eating when you feel sick!! I was great at the old fasting thing when I was riding - my PB is 5lbs in 2 days....well proud of that! I was living on lots of liquids (mainly water) a slim-a-soup or two & those packets of ready washed & chopped lettuce, great for dieting if you can stand to eat them and them alone!

Thanks
    Oh I forgot.....going for an hour long drive in mid summer wearing my waterproofs as a makeshift sweatsuit (& Jesus, were they effective??!!&#33 with the heating turned up full did also aid the process a bit.....

Kathy
    Give it a go An! I applaud anyone who will give any sensible diet ago and try and make themselves even hunkier than they already are!

You do lose weight if you stick to it, but the rapid loss in the first days are like any diet, mostly water so the amount you lose starts to slow down after the first few days. The funny Atkins "head" will happen after 2-3 days, but it goes again. You may find you have alot more energy as well, and the drinking of caffeine free tea and coffee and lots of water will improve your already near perfect complexion.

I love eating meat and fish so I find it simple for a few days, as does my fella, the biggest problem is the lack of bread, pasta, rice and potatoes BUT if you can do without these for a few days, you will fly through. The good things about this diet is there is no limit on quantities (within reason) and you lose your appetite, which as any dieter will tell is probably the hardest part. Melendez is right absolutely no fruit at all and no orange juice etc.

Best of Luck and keep us posted of your progress. B)

PS If there are any foods you fancy, and you want to check if you are allowed them, just ask, and I am sure one of us will know if you can have it or not!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I eagerly look forward to some funny 'head' on Thursday. I'll bulletin on my progress.

Kathy
    that may be funnier "head" An!

I look forward to your reports!

Hunneyb
    I lost two stone in a week once.............but I had a growth in my throat. :huh:

Seriously - Auntie K's will work as your stomach will shrink. The Atkins diet is good in short busts, and having seen a programme about it recently which thought that the reason it worked is that you feel more satisfied eating protein which also diminishes the appetite, I think this is true - certainly in my case. Give it a go for a week - nothing can do that much harm in that amount of time. Good luck.