Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Does Breeding Count?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There was a short piece on the Radio 5 Drive programme last night, about some research carried out by a University (the name of the University didn't register, I'm afraid) that suggested that a racehorse's pedigree only contributed about 10% to its chances of winning.

According to this report, the horse's environment and training were more significant factors.

There was a spokesman on for the breeding side of things (from Weatherbys, perhaps) who agreed to some extent but added that if you wanted to win the big bucks you still had to go for the horses bred in the purple.

Sires that he mentioned to support his case were, Saddlers Wells, Montjeu and Galileo.

I cant find any reference to the report either on the BBC site or the Racing Post site.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Are you sure the spokesman wasn't from Coolmore Colin
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    The interviewee was Dr William Allen, and there is an artcle on the BBC website.

Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ah! Science & Nature................I was looking under sport. :shy:

Thanks
    I'd love to read the full study, sounds fascinating. Anyone know where I might find it? I can't see any mention of it on the university site at http://www.biology.ed.ac.uk/research/insti...on/contacts.php

In particular, I'd like to know whether they just considered the paternal half of the equation.

Thanks

Thanks
    Here's the abstract:

http://journals.royalsociety.org/content/h...5aea4faf05&pi=0

The conclusion is:

Thus, while there are good genes to be bought, a stallion's fees are not an honest signal of his genetic quality and are a poor predictor of a foal's prize winning potential.
    Isn't this just capitalism in action? Aren't a stallion's fees merely an honest signal of the expected demand for them?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Dec 20 2007, 10:13 AM
    Thus, while there are good genes to be bought, a stallion's fees are not an honest signal of his genetic quality and are a poor predictor of a foal's prize winning potential.
    Isn't this just capitalism in action? Aren't a stallion's fees merely an honest signal of the expected demand for them?
    Again having not read the full report I don't know whether I am speaking out of turn but the problem seems to be that the Stud fee paid is not simply a representation of the foal's prize winning potential, but also of its likely value as either a stallion or broodmare itself.

Buying Storm Cat genes might not make it any more likely that the offspring wins the triple-crown, but if it did it would be many times more valuable than if that offspring was bred from an unfashionable stallion.

These things are often self-fulfilling, and as with many things: often you are paying for perceived merits, rather than actual ones. That is just marketing.

This isn't a problem if you think that the perception will hold - like any investment there is a degree of risk.

On a macro scale this approach is clearly working (and financially beneficial)- hence the ever increasing stud fees and the demand for certain horses even when the science proves that they might not be the most likely to win.

The key question is whether it is sustainable? Like any market the shrewd judges will be the ones who can identify when the gap between actual value and perceived value in the product (stallion) has become too unrealistic to maintain and at that stage switch their support to an undervalued stallion. If the results improve and the marketing resources are committed - this new stallion will reach the heights of the old one.
    Winners have no shame, no matter how they win - Niccolò Machiavelli

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nice post, betsmate.

Thanks
    Listen to the report's author Alistair Wilson talking about his report on this podcast:

http://boombox.ucs.ed.ac.uk/btopodca...D_WINTER07.mp3
    Winners have no shame, no matter how they win - Niccolò Machiavelli

Thanks
    If I had a broodmare the first thing I'd look at is the winners to runners ratio of a stallion, if we're discussing value for stud fee.

Of those active currently only a handful of the top earning stallions have a w/r ratio of over 40%.
    A couple of these are very expensive - Of live stallions only Pivotal, Galileo, Acclamation and Mr Greeley have win/run ratios of 40% or over besides the Italian stallion I mention below, and I'll bet all of them cost a lot more [the other is Danehill, but he's no longer an option].

If I had a decent to middling mare I'd consider sending it to a less fashionable stallion with a record of getting winners - possibly MARTINO ALONSO currently standing in Italy, 2007/08 fee is 10,000 Euros.... sire of RAMONI, w/r record here in UK is 1/1!! His win to run ratio from very limited runners overall is consistently over 40% - and over 65% winners to runners at 7f-9f, his own distance. He's by Marju, tho the dam was a v undistinguished Darley mare. Great value!

If I were to also consider and unproven sire, GENTLEMAN'S DEAL, a son of Danehill and the only one standing outside Coolmore I believe - would be top of my list. GD's dam Sleepytime was very good - she won the 1000 Guineas and is a half-sister to three Group winners. King of the a/w, ultra sound and consistent, and with a superb temperament. He ls v cheap for what he has achieved on the track. Only 1.200 GBP, same as last year. A v shrewd risk imo for a sire's whose progeny are yet to reach the track. You'd also be supporting the UK breeding industry

Thanks
    Nice posting, Headstrong (that means I agree with most of it!).

For an owner-breeder wanting an unproven but cheap stallion, then Gentlman's Deal could be a good choice. He's tough, talented and well-bred. Firebreak might do ok as well.

Among proven sires, yes, Martino Alonso looks pretty reasonably priced, but Italy is a long way to go. Bahamian Bounty is one I like and has done quite well as a sire of fast animals.

I have to disagree with you about Mr Greeley - he's suddenly become very fashionable and expensive, but his overall record is rather ordinary.

Thanks
    I was taking those stats re the sires with 40% ++ w/r ratio from the RP list of stallions, "Flat Statistics" on the dropdown:

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/bloodstock/bs_...tables.sd?opt=1

I know v little about Mr Greeley tbh! Of course the w/r ratio does change form year to year.
    I see Arch had a particularly good record last year form single fig runners

Thanks
    This what the thoroughbredreview site says about him!

Mr. Greeley ($125,000 Gainesway Farm, KY) - This guy is all smoke and mirrors, and buyers are falling for it in a big way. Drags his mares down and his progeny average just $4,212 per start. Most alarming, he's only getting 6.5% stakes winners from starters, a figure well below many sires in the $15,000 price range. End users need to take a hard look at his overall numbers before investing so heavily in an over-hyped sire.

Thanks
    Point made!! ten foot barge poles come to mind...

Thanks
    What price that two of Mr Greeley's best should end up with Jim Bolger?

I love the Gentleman's Deal story, £1200 is amazing given his pedigree and Group winning status in comparison to some of the fees out there. Hopefully they'll send him over to the US (temporarily!) at some point; plenty of Polytrack action over there now.

a son of Danehill and the only one standing outside Coolmore I believe
    Don't let Khalid Abdullah hear you say that - he didn't keep breeding Hasili back for nothing!

Thanks
    Since both his sire and dam acted perfectly well - well above average - on turf, I can see no reason why DG's offspring shouldn't. I think he may be a bit of a freak in that respect, but I don't see why he should be expected to pass this quirk on to his progeny, necessarily - certainly not to all of them! It looks to me to be a 'personal preference' of the horse. After all he doesn't have a 'dirt' pedigree. I hope breeders don't just send him mares for the a/w!

Thanks
    Originally posted by Venusian@Dec 20 2007, 07:48 AM
    The interviewee was Dr William Allen
    Is he Frankie's father-in-law?
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world would be blind. -
    Kahlil Gibran

Thanks
    That's the fella.