Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huntingdon - What A Joke

Thanks
    It appears we have another strong contender for the Arse Cup - Fiona Needham.

Wtf went on at Huntingdon today?!

Here's a timeline :

- text received last night from Weatherby's informing me of a precautionary inspection at 0930 for today's meeting.

- text received soon after 0930 (whilst on horseback!) informing me of a FURTHER precautionary [!!!!!!!] inspection at 1030.

- text received c.1045 informing me, meeting goes ahead.

- text received from a mate at 1107 saying [quote] Divets, filled with sand, still frozen according to mate of mine who has just walked track [unquote]

- took the decision that having ridden out 2 lots I don't fancy trogging up to Huntingdon only to hear that the horse has been declared a NR, as I'm fully expecting after hearing the reports that the track is in a bad state.

- 1145, text received saying that "due to a drop in temperature" [my arse!!!!!!!!!] there is a further precautionary [??????!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!] inspection at 1200

- 1150, ring yard to find out if horse intended runner, told that he hadn't yet been pulled out yet Ms Needham is not the most popular clerk of the course ever......

- 1214, received text from LordH saying the horse has been pulled out, as expected (refers to telephone conversation held earlier when we both came to same conclusion) ~ glad that I didn't start out on the trip up there!

- c. 1250, sit down with a mate and switch on ATR - "Huntingdon abandoned due to "unsafe ground" " according to the strapline.

What a farce. The mate who texted me earlier rung me shortly before 12 to tell me that his mate who walked the track had reported that the additional inspection was held as a group of trainers and jockeys, led by Alan King, demanded another look as they didn't feel the track was fit to race after it had been passed as raceable.

There was a quote in the RP saying that one top jockey had said he wouldn't even trot a horse on the track.

Heads should roll - whoever made the decision to pass the track as fit to race, or whoever is deemed to carry the can in such an event, wants fining, and fining heavily. The HRA seem to want to be seen to be justifying their existence, so they should get off their backsides and hold a major enquiry as to how this was nearly allowed to happen.
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    I was gobsmacked that no inspection had been called yesterday afternoon looking at the forecast and only found out that they were inspecting when I checked teletext this morning.

Needham has to walk surely,it's hardly as if it's her first offence after previous similar farces at Warwick both on the flat and NH courses there.

Thanks
    There have been problems on the track with horses slipping and jocks complaining of unsafe ground for the last two meetings - sounds like Huntingdon now has a seriously damaged track, and the NH season not yet half way through. Needham should resign, and if she doesn't she should be made to walk.

I'm about an hour and a half away - may not be the same temp exactly but it's been really freezing up here for two or three days now with the frost just not coming out of the ground, so this was easily forseeable

Thanks
    Spokesman John Maxse said: ""The incidents at Warwick in the summer and Huntingdon today areof a completely different nature.

"Fiona is an extremely capable clerk of the course who has consistently overseen the delivery of racing surfaces at Huntingdon and Warwick that meet the high standards that are expected of all Jockey Club Racecourses.She retains the group's full support and we are confident that the conclusion of the disciplinary panel's inquiry into the Warwick abandonment will find that she was not culpable for the eventual outcome."

What a ****!
    handsome is as handsome does

Thanks
    Suggest you owners should get together and make a complaint via the ROA

My freinds the Keebles who own Meadow Hawk weren't best pleased when he slipped there in the back straight a few weeks ago - jocks said there were great loose divots then, which horses could put their hooves in, and a lot of sanding was going on round the bends - same at the following meeting, the last, iirc

Thanks
    PS There is something very wrong when a Clerk can declare a course fit and safe, and then the pros - jocks and trainers - who have walked it say it's definitely dangerous, which is clearly what happened here

Thanks
    Didn't we have the same thing (a version of it) at Newbury last year.

Is it the dangerous misjudgement, or the fact that a few folk have been mucked about that's upsetting people? If it's the latter, then I've got news for the poor souls in the racing game, it happens to thousands of us on a daily basis. I've set off for work many times this year, only to be mucked about by First Great Western Trains or the dreaded Highways Agency. In fact FGW produced a stunning piece of incompetance this week which even by their own high standards takes some surpassing. The result is that no one knows when the trains run now as the revise dtimetable they've printed and posted at Bicester Twon entitled "Bicester to Oxford" has a minor defect. The times of the trains underneath concern a service between Worcester and Paddington. It's an unmanned station too, so it's really pot luck now :xmassnowlaugh:
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    Getting back to the topic (everyone).....

It seems very hard to shift these clerk of the courses...remember the mess up with the lady from Lingfield as well. Seemed to take an age before she finally stepped down.

Thanks
    To be fair, Stickels was a judge but I agree.

How JC Racecourses can defend her is beyond me. Several trainers and jockeys have said the course wasn't ever raceable and it never looked like ot could be - so the question must be asked, why in the name of God did she declare the track fit to race? Did she want to kill horses and jockeys?

Thanks
    Ah yes she wasn't a clerk of the course...just a judge....oh but what a judge!!!

Thanks
    Another blow for those who hold the view that woman are as capable as men.
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    I wouldn't interpret Maxse's response as being that supportive to be honest. If he chastised her in public he'd be accussed (quite rightly) of behaving inappropriately, so he had to offer some support. The word "capable" in my experience is usually a code for the minimum. 'Capable' is onl;y one step above someone expressing their confidence etc and we all know what happens when a football chairman says that. If he'd wanted to, there are plenty more words in The English language open to him, as well as unequivicol ways of expressing them.
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Kathy
    Probably an unpopular comment, but thank goodness if the ground was unsafe (whenever or whoever finally decided) that the racing was abandoned. Much better to have very frustrated owners & trainers & lots of dead mileage (and tired horses going home) rather than dead or injured horses and/or jockeys. The timing was not ideal BUT sometimes you have to let the ultimate decision lie with the jockeys and trainers once they can physically walk the course.

I can remember going as an owner to Aintree and I was travelling from Berkshire and we were told to stop at every service station for an update en route as we no one was sure if the racing would go ahead or not. Eventually it did. Frustrating it was but the welfare of the horses and jockeys is always the most important factor. By the time we arrived we watched our race, had a coffee and turned round and drove 5.5 hours home again.

Thanks
    I have no problem with the abandonment of the meeting; it simply should have been abandoned earlier rather than have erroneously passed an inspection. Here's what I posted on TRF:

I wasted the best part of four hours dragging myself up to see Bally Conn race (I say race, he'd have pulled himself up on the final circuit just for the hell of it ~ but that's by the by) and was absolutely livid when I heard that it had been abandoned after passing an earlier inspection.

Fiona Needham is sailing very close to the wind when she claims that "the ground didn't seem too bad" at 09:30, or indeed that it had improved considerably by 10:30. The ground was frozen at nine, frozen at ten, frozen at eleven and frozen at noon. Everyone who brought horses to the track had no illusions about the viability of racing and yet Ms Needham is given free rein by Jockey Club Racecourses* to misrepresent her customers to an enormous extent. When a track which is palpably unsafe is deemed raceable then owners, trainers, jockeys and the general public are effectively defrauded. I have to pay for the expense of taking my horse to the races and as the meeting was abandoned before I arrived, I get no compensation for my wasted journey.

Finally, why do I have to put up with the bloody word "precautionary"? An inspection of Cheltenham today before deciding to put down covers would be precautionary. Inspecting a frozen track three times (even the final inspection at 12 was deemed to be "precautionary"~ ye gods!! ) and pretending it might improve is in no way precautionary. I know, because I've looked it up in a bleedin' dictionary.
    handsome is as handsome does

Thanks
    Originally posted by Bar the Bull@Dec 13 2007, 09:17 PM
    Another blow for those who hold the view that woman are as capable as men.
    In fact Bar that's one of the aspects of this incidence which makes me really angry. It's so hard for women to break into traditional male preserves like this, and then this silly cow and muppetts like Stickels go and give all the misogynists a stick with which to beat us :suspect: :angy: :angy:

Thanks
    I fear there's a one liner in there for someone

Thanks
    Its nice to see that nobody let the unfortunate Huntingdon episode get to them.

I am currently on the train to Doncaster for a fine days sport.... oh , what was that ?

:xmassanta:

I preferred the pre-mobile phone days when you actually got to the track before finding it white and deserted.
    I could be the judge!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Kathy
    :xmassnowgrin:

Thanks
    The same as Rory, I had no problem whatsoever with the meeting being abandoned either - it was more the pissing about and the unbelievable decision "fit to race" passed shortly after the second inspection. We can't have clerks of the course passing dangerous tracks as raceable. Time for hefty fines and/or sackings.

Thanks
    What p*sses me off is when people like Maxsie who are based in London rush out giving their "full support" to someone without first ascertaining the facts - viz that the track at Huntingdon has been developing problems for a few weeks now. Has he walked the damn course like the jocks and trainers? -has he put his going stick into the frozen sod? - has he hell!