Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: War Of Attrition Out For The Season?

Thanks
    More to follow soon on bbc sport...
    Winners have no shame, no matter how they win - Niccolò Machiavelli

Thanks
    WAR SET TO MISS CAMPAIGN

Mouse Morris stresses War Of Attrition has not met with a setback - but the 2006 Cheltenham Gold Cup winner is unlikely to be seen this season.

The eight-year-old, who also finished runner-up to Brave Inca in the Supreme Novices' Hurdle in 2004, injured a tendon when being prepared for his defence of the blue riband event.

He underwent stem cell surgery, which was a success, and while he is now back in work, Morris thinks it would be asking too much to have him ready in time for Cheltenham.

"He's had absolutely no setback and the horse is in absolutely terrific fettle but he won't be running this year," said Morris.

"We are not rushing him back, he is in strong work but we decided that time was running out.

"It is not even nine months since he had the surgery. Normally it takes a year before they are even being ridden out but he has been ridden for the last six months.

"He's in great fettle and the owner (Michael O'Leary), myself and David Chapman-Jones, (vet) who did the stem cell work, are delighted with the scans but feel it would be pushing it to get him 100%.

"Had it have happened at the start of last season I would definitely say he would be running, but considering it is not even nine months, they have done a great job with him.

"It was always unlikely that he would run within the 12 months and you only have to look at Kicking King, who has been off two years with a similar problem.

"Everybody is happy with him but we just thought it would be rushing the job to try and get him ready."
    Winners have no shame, no matter how they win - Niccolò Machiavelli

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    no setback thankfully, just not risking annything by bringing him back too early
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Makes sense - no point rushing him back to scrap for what looks like a Gold Cup place at the very best.

Thanks
    does anyone really believe what it says in the paper ? not that it makes a difference whether he is out because he is out or out because because they do not want to risk him?

well, does anybody really believe War will come back is the other question ? Even if - see Well Chief ?
    I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts. (John Steinbeck)

www.spontano.net

Thanks
    What's the motive for lying?

Thanks
    well, whats the motive for lying to the press? shrug::
    I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts. (John Steinbeck)

www.spontano.net

Thanks
    That's what I'm asking - why would they lie about it?

Thanks
    Didnt well chief come back before?
    I went swimming in the Caribbean. Animals were hiding behind rocks

Thanks
    he did indeed. any reason as to why he mite not be coming back this season?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Is stem cell technique normal for horses?
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    You know they say they do not come back - but once in a really blue moon some of them do. And the longer you can give them off with an injury the better. Of course it depends upon the injury and the horse, and the age of the horse.

I personally know a couple who did make it back, and they both won again. One of them at a higher level than ever before - however, eventually both of them were retired due to the same injuries.

We investigated stem cell treatment for one of ours, did not use it in the end due to his age, but it firmly recommends at least a year off.

I am a massive fan of War, love him to bits, and would love to see him come back. I agree this year is so tough that perhaps having another off would benefit him chance wise too. He is young enough. If anyone can get one back, Mouse will do it.

Obviously the other two, Well Chief and Kicking King are great too, and woud love to see them back as well. But the stats are against them are aren't they?

I'm not sure poeple lie to the press, some with hold info, but then when you have a dream you just want to wrap it in cotton wool and sharing it when things are down is not easy for connections to do.

PS Edit
    Stem cell treatment is experimental both in people and animals at the moment, results are still being compiled. It is a highly thought of technique though, gathering quite a few followers amongst the medical fraternity. It may well be the way forward instead of pin firing which is so brutal.

Thanks
    Costs a lot of money, they still have to be got fit again after it, and then they break again anyway. The medical fraternity love it because it keeps them in £s. Of course there are examples where it has 'worked' but then the horse may have recovered if they hadn't used the treatment. As Brown Jack suggests, the longer rest you give them the better, coming back too quick, which I think alot of people get suckered into doing whether it be tentatively or otherwise is the worst thing you can do. Highly technogical treatment , 'Rest'. Cheap and works wonders.
    I could be the judge!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Thanks
    It's only nine months since WOT's surgery, and it always needs a year - although he was ridden after three months they say, which seems a bit odd. So they couldn't start training him properly ie to race fitness until just before Cheltenham, and it would be tough on a horse which had never had the injury to bring him on that fast. Hence leaving him for this season - maybe we shall see him early next season?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Brown Jack@Dec 4 2007, 04:21 PM
    I personally know a couple who did make it back, and they both won again. One of them at a higher level than ever before -
    Kauto Star comes to mind
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    :xmassanta: bye bye Well Chief, War Of Attrition and Kicking King

Thanks
    Kicking King is still expected back over Christmas/New Years.

(I'm not counting any chickens either).

Thanks
    Asper previous trends, one run in an egg and spoon and then off for 2 more years.
    Enjoy Kicking King at his "comeback"
    Celestial Gold will be next

Thanks
    Next thing we know Monsignor will be entered for the Pillar..
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    Too soon after the Christmas Hurdle