Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardy Eustace

Thanks
    What a fabulous horse to own, one with both class and guts. He's been around since before I was born* and been involved in the most amazing string of exciting races. I thought we had probably seen the end of him last season as a serious horse but there he was on Saturday running once again to a mark very close to his best.

By the way, he needs only another £27k now to become a sterling millionaire.

The RP Analysis of Saturday's race says he and Afsoun should go for staying hurdles from now on, but I'm not so sure. This season's CH could take less winning than last year's.

Sublimity is not a robust horse and might not make it back for this year's race - I hasten to add I have no inside line on this, I'm just going on his track record, or lack of one so to speak. Other principals such as Brave Inca and Detroit City sadly won't be there.

The HE camp would surely enjoy, rather than want to dodge, another set-to with Harchibald, who showed signs of being back on good terms with himself at Dundalk the other night. Indeed both camps would surely like to see it happen.

Sublimity apart, which other horse might persuade HE's connections he should start running extra laps of the track?

[SIZE=1]* It's been said he was in the GPO[SIZE=1]

Thanks
    Katchit is the only other one which comes to mind. I suppose we'll have a better idea of his merits after Saturday.

I can't really think of another established horse that would put you off a Champion bid and no other of last year's novices stand out.

HE has been one of my favourites for a long time now, he landed me a nice bet when winning the Sun Alliance Hurdle.

I just wish I had backed him when he was 33-1 in the Champion - I honestly thought he was in the wrong race!

The more I think about it, the more you have a point - he has been beaten fair and square most of the times he's stepped up to 20f and beyond in a decent race. The only exceptions being his Sun Alliance win and the two Ascot Hurdle wins. There has to be a stamina doubt about him getting 3 miles at Cheltenham even though he has looked as if a trip will suit him.

If connections are going to a good quality 3 mile race with him next, it might be worth taking a fancy price for the Champion now in anticipation of a less than stellar run?
    "The religious persecution of the ages has been done under what was claimed to be the command of God. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides
    with their own desires" -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks
    Let's not forget that he got into that duel with Brave Inca and was still only beaten 3 1/2 lengths last year by a horse who, although undeniably talented, had things fall nicely for him.

I'm sure all the stats are against him, and it's a big leap to think he might actually win it again, but he could be a very nice trading proposition in the CH market (currently 60 to tiny money).

Thanks
    I think they should give the Stayers a go. The three miles round there isn't the stiffest and well worth taking the chance when it must be likely that he will be done for speed at the end of The Champion.
    I could be the judge!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Thanks
    I hope he goes for the Champion, I've got some money on him at 100, mind he didn't go down anywhere near as much as I thought for winning that race, I did the same last year backing him at 43 I think it was and he went off about 3/1...

Thanks
    I can see that a Champion tilt is on the cards too. As has been mentioned three of the principals won't line up, (add Ikitiaf to DC and BI?) on top of what might also fall by the wayside between now and March. Katchit has the Triumph hoodoo to overcome, and still needs to run against older horses, though I suspect he'll cope fine. The novices didn't look particularly strong, and I'm pretty certain Ebaziyan isn't up to a truly run race, and suspect Clopf is similar, though not quite as vulnerable. FWIW I think Blythe Knight and Osana were the pick of last years crop. Harchibald, Macs Joy, Straw Bear and Sublimity couldn't really be relied on to line up this far out, and I'd be surprised if all 4 made it. Are there grounds to think that Hardy need to be scarred of any of them? they're quite exposed by now. Of the ones mentioned I'd be inclined to look at Blythe Knight as ticking most of the boxes, but he's been kept on the go for a long time now, and with my endorsement at 33/1 already there to burden him, he's got no chance.
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    Likeable as he is, I can't say him winning the Champion Hurdle. Running well in it? Yes, but he won't win it. Afsoun would probably have beaten him over 2m on Saturday.

Thanks
    Is there a Ryanair hurdle?
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Bar the Bull@Nov 26 2007, 10:16 PM
    Is there a Ryanair hurdle?
    Don't think so unless Sun Alliance have withdrawn their sponsorship. There's a new hurdles race which is presumebly in need of a sponsor, but I thought that was for fillies and mares so Hardy wouldn't get in anyway
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Would tend to agree with DJ here.. weak as the 2m division may be, it is hard for me to see him having the pace to win a Champion Hurdle at this point..

Thanks
    Originally posted by Warbler+Nov 27 2007, 12:41 AM-->
    QUOTE (Warbler @ Nov 27 2007, 12:41 AM)

Thanks
    Like it

Banned
    Thanks
    Likeable as he is, I can't say him winning the Champion Hurdle. Running well in it? Yes, but he won't win it. Afsoun would probably have beaten him over 2m on Saturday
    It was also signalled by Nicky that afsoun would come on a lot for the race

Its wonderful to see Hardy running so well at this stage of his career but maybe bypassing cheltenham altogther and going for the aintree hurdle might be best option?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ryanair - The Airline For Those Without a Proper Trip
    The end is not actually in Cheltenham, but there is a bus to bring the horses back.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Massive fan of the horse, one of the reasons why I love National Hunt is to see great horses come back year after year (hard to believe its almost 5 years since his SunAlliance win). Having said that it's hard to see him winning another champion imo, he's hardly improved from last year and I don't think a repeat of that run would be good enough in all likelihood (though not far away).

If I was planning his season it'd be something like Long Walk, AIG Champion Hurdle then the Stayers. It's worth a shot at this stage... he owes connections nothing so why not give it a go?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Warbler+Nov 26 2007, 11:41 PM-->
    QUOTE (Warbler @ Nov 26 2007, 11:41 PM)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    I had the privilege of being at John Carr's stable on Friday. Sublimity is very well and we were able to watch him work on the Wexford sand gallops.Although the trainer has grass gallops up the road he says he is able to get all his horses as fit as he wants them here, but sometimes takes them to the grass gallops for no other reason than a change of scenery. There has been a conscious decision not to go for the bonus on offer via the Fighting Fifth route as the Boylesports / AIG/ Champion Hurdle readily fits into a six week break between races which suits the horse and they are adamant it will not be beaten in March. Should the horse be well and should the ground be suitable they will consider the Punchestown Festival but that is not definite.

Incidentally they lifted the roof off the oncourse bookmaker's shop (Hacketts ?)at Gowran Park on Saturday when Hardy came to win his race, everyman and his dog were on.
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    Originally posted by Shadow Leader+Nov 27 2007, 07:21 PM-->
    QUOTE (Shadow Leader @ Nov 27 2007, 07:21 PM)
    Originally posted by Warbler@Nov 26 2007, 11:41 PM

Thanks
    I thought that initially about Zilcash but he is eligible for novice races since he didn't win his hurdle race until April 30th [this season].
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    Thanks for the info on Sublimity DG. I thought I'd heard he was only going to have one run before the CH so it's good to know we'll see a little more of him than that.

21. Similar Threads

1. Hardy Eustace Retired
      By Guest_ in forum General Racing Topics
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 17th January 2010, 1:26 PM
    2. Hardy Eustace
      By Guest_ in forum General Racing Topics
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 3rd March 2008, 9:25 PM