Thread: Remembering Cengiz

Thanks
    Perhaps I'm going a bit soft, but I remember being touched by the story of Cengiz Sadik (son of trainer Aydach, sometimes called Jeff or Andy in the press) who sadly committed suicide last year. His family had a race nemaed after him at Cartmel and I notice that Mr Sadik has a newcomer in the bumper at Haydock called Cengiz after his son. Rather than try to tell the story, I've just copied a letter Aytach Sadik wrote to the Racing Post last year. I for one will be cheering him on.

"I CAME to England in 1964 from Cyprus as an 18-year-old and my first experience of live racing was when I saw Arkle win the Gold Cup in 1965. Some 21 years later I bought my first racehorse, but winners proved elusive and excuses from trainers plentiful.
    My 18-year-old son Cengiz (Gus), who knew nothing about racehorses and had never sat on a horse, suggested learning about them and training winners for me - a far-fetched idea that I accepted.
    He worked in several yards and learned to ride, then we moved to Ireland in 1995, bought a yard and obtained a licence. He did everything from mucking out, riding out and driving the box and he trained five winners for me in short time.
    We moved to England in 1998 and set up a small yard. Winners started to flow and he trained 20 from limited resources, the highlights being Crusoe, who won nine times, Athleague Guest, who won first time out after 1,000 days off the track, and Green Go, who had five wins, including twice in a weekend.
    Away from racing, Cengiz was involved in a court battle with his estranged wife and wasn't allowed to see his sons, aged five and six, for more than a year. He took his own life in June.
    At first, I didn't think I could carry on, but I decided to train my three horses and win a race in his memory.
    Green Go ran at Stratford on September 10 in a chase in front of Cengiz's two little sons. He was prominent throughout, but the saddle slipped two out. It would normally have been a pulled-up job, but Green Go not only jumped the last two but won with the jockey hanging on for dear life.
    I dedicated the win to Cengiz, and his two boys collected the trophy.
    On the morning of the race, I visited his grave, and I like to think he was up there guiding Green Go to his win.
    Cengiz was my son, my mate and is, and always will be, my racing hero and much more."
    handsome is as handsome does

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rorydelargy For This Useful Post:

Gearoid
    Not a story I was aware of and well worth a mention on the forum.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gearoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A really nice story that, very moving.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Go on Cengiz, go on my son.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

Kathy
    What a truly moving story. Thanks for highlighting it, Rory. Aytach sounds like a remarkable man, and so did his son.

Thanks
    I remember that story from last year, hope the horse turns out to be a star for him

It's dreadful the damage that divorce does, to the children especially, but also to men separated form their beloved children and women struggling financially on their own. If only people would work harder at making what they've chosen work

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well said Headstrong - and also people ought to think more about marriage rather than just the wedding.

Great story.
    Speak your mind, but ride a fast horse. ~ Anon

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Isinglass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for that posting, Rory, sometimes we don't know we're born, do we?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice touch, rory.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post: