Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Training - Help Required.

Thanks
    I collected my new puppy on friday night.

I'm having 2 problems at the moment

1. Sheila (for that is her name), used to sleep outside in a kennel with Astrid (The Mammy) and the rest of her litter. I am keen for her to sleep outside the house as well, so I got a cage which I stuck in the garden shed. She cryed for ages before settling down on Friday night, and on Saturday night she must have got really flustered as she had got her paw caught tight in a tiny gap in the cage trying to escape. God knows how long she was trapped, but she was limping around most of Sunday and it obviously hurt, but fortunately there seems to be no major damage done and she seems ok now. Anyway I went out and got a kennel yesterday which she stayed in last night - more yelping. Again there was a sustained effort at escape with an attempt to eat her way through the door of the kennel.

Tonight I intend leaving the door of the kennel open as she is going to hurt herself if I don't. I expect she will just sit at the back door yelping to get in and wont have the sense to get back in the kennel when she is worn out, as she is still only nine weeks.

How do I get her to run into her kennel at the appropriate time and no whine?

2. We have a male neutered dog already who thinks all his birthdays have come at once. On Saturday every time Sheila stood up he was on top of her. I'd say attempted mountings went well into 3 figures. This reduced substantially yesterday but there was still a significant nember of events.

Will this stop when he realises his attempts are destined to end fruitlessly or is there something I need to do to stop him?

Thanks
    Okaaaay.........

Mel - first question is - why are you keeping one dog outside and one in? She's just come away from her litter mates and naturally enough, misses their company. You can try substituting warmth and noice for them using a heated pad and the radio - that sometimes works. You say she's 9 weeks? Unfortunately, that is not a good age to move puppies - research has shown 7 weeks to be the optimum age to move a pup to its new home with the minimum of problems. Sorry!

Using a dog crate correctly is essential. Putting the pup in only when going to bed is fatal. They need to be placed in the crate two or three times during the day, with dog toys and either a dog chew or one of those bone type biscuits - don't offer treats at any other time - just when she goes into her crate. That way, she associates it with something good happening.

During the day, only leave her in there for about an hour max at a time.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt to keep one dog 'outside' in a normal family home - you've neighbours to consider and if they're a breed prone to barking, you're only going to be a nuisance to everyone else around you being the owners of a noisy dog.

Is there no room for the crate to be in the house? You may be able to introduce her to the crate system this way and, as she gets older and goes through her training programme, you may then be able to move it and her outside.

As to your neutered male trying to bonk her - he'll give that up eventually but it's very stessful for a small pup, so I'm afraid he'd get a good crack with a whippy stick if he were mine a couple of times - yes I know, shock - horror - how cruel - typical comment from mad pro-hunting dog woman........ bring it on!

However, as Jon will confirm to you, my mutts are reasonably well-behaved, aren't cringeing curs, do not take precedence over human beings and have a very nice life, thank you...
    Just Singin' the Blues ........

Thanks
    Songsheet,

Thanks for the reply.

We are making a bastardised attempt at crate training, but since there is no-one around to do it during office hours, it will at least weaken the effort, if not just end up confusing the puppy and rendering it useless. Hopefully it will just end up taking a little longer.

The other dog is my mothers and lives in her quarters, and sleeps in her bedroom. This is an absolute no no for Sheila. She will never be allowed sleep in the bedroom. I wouldn't mind her sleeping downstairs but then she is just one door from getting upstairs, and if we can't stop her yelping in her kennel, we'll hardly stop her yelping when she is that close to her goal. Also, it is quite hard to hear her when she is outside, whereas inside, she would set the other dog off and have the pair of them whining at each other.

We have a shaggy dog type hot water bottle which lets a small bit of heat permeate, and stays warm until morning, which we stick in the kennel, along with a few toys and chewy things. I might try putting a radio in as well, sounds like a good idea.

The male dog has got a few whacks, but retains the wild look in his eye - he seems to think it's worth it. Sheila is using avoision techniques. She sits down everytime he comes sniffing by and snaps at him - he actually is a very gentle natured dog so runs off when this happens, but has become more adept at catching her unawares. Hopefully he will give up before too long.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    I agree with Songsheet on this one & feel she is probably too young and dependant to be left alone, certainly outside. " of my greyhounds are housed outside but scream like banshees if you part one from the other and they are nearly 2. You could try leaving an item of your clothing in the cage when you depart or other side of door since they are supposed to settle better when they can still smell you around. We used to have an orphaned gosling that we couldn't leave unless you left a pairof trousers drapped over a deck chair & then he thought you were still there - bless him (he was tasty at Christmas mind you&#33
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks

Ardross

Derek.Burgess
    Melendez,

a couple of questions.

1.What breed of dog is it?

2.What did you buy the dog for,a pet or a working dog?

3. Where does your other dog live and sleep?

Thanks
    Songsheet,

I just wanted you to know that, as ''mad pro-hunting dog women'' go, you've got to be my favourite ''mad pro-hunting dog woman.''

In fact, I was thinking of PM-ing you and asking if I can buy my meat off you, providing of course, you let me attend the ritual slaughtering too.
    Banned

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    JINNY ever since then you have come out in GOOSE BUMPS how is KORMA? he's her chicken I thought the names she gave them was very funny.....

Can just imagine other half coming in saying where is KORMA? her reply in the curry

But yes I seem to attract dogs!!!! Especially bitches????

I find them better and more loving, friends!!! of mine have two bitches they wont leave me alone and cry when they leave, so I must appeal to some???
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I fear the mutt is irrevocably damaged and unrecoverable. Can't you send him fox hunting?
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Derek,

1. Questionable, I'd guess you'd have to go back a few generations to find an actual breed - large terrierish creature. Mammy is below - Daddy is probably bigger, but God knows what he is.

2. Pet.
    3. House is divided - other dog lives in my mother's part of the house (lives indoors).

Thanks
    OK, Davies - we'll send you the secret password and location for the kill but wear washable clothing - don't want Mrs D going off on one because of the bloodstains...

JinnyJ:
    I agree with Songsheet on this one & feel she is probably too young and dependant to be left alone, certainly outside
    That's the kindest thing anyone has said to me for ages....

Kathy
    ......but we could let you indoors during the day Songsheet when you are a little older, if you promise to be really well behaved and were adequately house trained!

Cute dogs Melendez!

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    SORRY WRONG THREAD
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Derek.Burgess
    Melendez,
    it may be a good idea to buy a basket and stick a few bits and pieces of your/your partners clobber in it.Put it in the kitchen or some othe space so that the dog will have a bit of territory to call it's own.Feed it in that area as well.

Humping is a favourite pastime of most dogs and any leg will do in a hurry.

A young dog need lots of tlc as it will soon consider you as it's mum and will always want to be by your side.

Be firm as far as territorial matters are concerned and make sure that you always preceed the dog where ever you go.

Best of luck.

I have two King Charles Spaniels and would not be without them.

Kathy
    .........and theres me thinking you may have Rottweillers Derek! Isn't it strange how you conjur up a picture of people on a forum, and the type of pets they have, only to be completely wrong. Merlin, please tell me you do have a long-haired poodle as a pet!

And, while we are on the subject, do YOU think that owners look like their pets! IF you do, do you look like yours?

Melendez, if you look like your pooch, you are one cute man! :P

Derek.Burgess
    Kathy,
    i am a fairly quiet guy who is very competitive.

I think that some dog owners go to great lengths to make their dogs look like themselves and succeed only in making both parties look ridiculous.

My age precludes me from owning the dogs of my life German Shepherds.I have reconciled myself to not being able to control large dogs in a crisis.Hence the Henri and Jamie,a pair of more loveable and faithful companions would be hard to find.

My bark is worse than my loose bite.

Oh! Of course my wife and myself are exact replicas of our dogs.

Kathy

My Dad has owned many a German Shepherd in his time. He owned a riding school many years back and when thieves broke in, they poisoned both of his dogs. My dad was distraught. They could have had all his tack and even his car, and all his money, but killing his dogs was so unnecessary. I don't think he really ever got over that! My boyfriend doesn't trust German Shepherds though as one bit him in the face a few years back and he still has the scar to prove it. My Dad has owned Rottweillers and Lurchers, both lovely breeds of dogs. Most of his dogs have been rescued from a horrible life somewhere. It's amazing how people can turn dogs round just by being kind to them. My Sister has 2 Jack Russells. She lives in America and you wouldn't believe how they spoil their dogs out there. Birthday parties (for the dogs) swimming gala's for the dogs, oh and Father Christmas too. No, I am deadly serious!

Thanks
    I have to admit I am wary of GSD&#39;s - and also posess a scar to prove why. My spaniel is daft, flabby and sleeps a lot ( hmmmmmmm <_< ) and the Hovawart is a huge saggy lump that bounces everywhere ( DONT &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; ) ( a bit like the canine version of Bagpuss ) :huh: OK - perhaps they are more like me than I care to admit

But then my pony and I get on so well cos we share the same sense of humour - and a horse more like me in character than Po doesnt exist I dont think - ( hes loveable, kind, stubborn, bloody-minded, no real malice in him, and has a very short attention span - all things that I know I am, and put down to being Aquarian, but I&#39;m not too sure - Hes a July babe ) it must be the bringing up - if you have any animal from young, they must take on a certain abount of your character??

Can we stop now - I&#39;m getting scared......... :unsure:
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Derek.Burgess
    Trudij,
    are you sure that we don&#39;t knw each other?