Thread: December Sales

Thanks
    On this miserable Saturday (weather wise) I have been glancing through the December catelogue at Tattersalls and some serious mares in there. Could be some fireworks if Coolmore and the Sheikhs get involved.

MANDELLICHT, the dam of Champion and multiple Group 1 winner MANDURO appears as a late addition while Group 1 winners INDIAN INK, RED EVIE and SATWA QUEEN, as well as the exciting Group 2 winning two year old filly FLEETING SPIRIT also feature.

The 36 lots coming from the Sangster family’s Swettenham Stud will also undoubtedly command plenty of attention. The consignment comprises one yearling, 16 foals, 11 broodmares and 8 fillies in training, with the multiple Grade 1 winning mare ANGARA, in foal to MONTJEU, amongst the highlights, as is the outstanding broodmare MAGNIFICIENT STYLE, who is the dam of one Group 1 winner, two Group 2 winners and two Listed winners from her first six foals, and is in foal to GALILEO. MAGNIFICIENT STYLE’s eighth foal is a three parts brother to Group 1 Fillies’ Mile winner PLAYFUL ACT.

Others for sale include Sander Camillo,Silk Blossom,Wake Up Maggie,Galatee,Mont Etoile, Geminani, Tante Rose.

Horses in training and prospective stallions on sale include Day Flight, Archipenko, Strike The Deal, Mustameet, Nakheel, Hail The Chief, Foreign Affairs,Fath, Passing Glance,Largesse etc.

The foal sales sees the likes of Footstepsinthesand, Doyen, Oratorio, Motivator, Rakti, Shamardal, etc have their first stock go through the ring.

Thanks
    I will be there for both sales.

Thanks
    I will be there with our 3 that go through, Wake Up Maggie, Expensive and Paradise Isle. So if anyone is up there come and say hi.

Thanks
    Although this isn't directly related to the December Sales, I wonder if I could return to a subject I mentioned on a previous thread which was wiped out in the technical problems which resulted in a number of postings being lost at the end of October.

It's really directed at people who have some knowledge of the breeding/ sales side of things and it relates to Rio De La Plata's disappointing run in the Dewhurst. Being "over the top" is a common excuse for horses which run badly at that time of year. This horse made his debut in the second half of June and the Dewhurst was his sixth race. However, he had been purchased at the breeze-ups in April. My questions are: what would be a typical regime for a two-year-old being prepared for the breeze-ups and how much would that regime coupled with the actual racecourse gallop on the day amount to the horse effectively having a race in April?

Readers between the lines will appreciate that I have an ante-post bet on the horse for the Guineas and I'm clutching at straws.

Thanks
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Never worked the breeze up sales myself so I dont know what goes into it. Interesting question though.

I would say Rio De La Plata looked like he needed his first run quite badly in terms of mental edge and fitness.