Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robert Alner Seriously Injured

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    DORSET racehorse trainer Robert Alner is fighting for his life today after the car he was driving smashed into a telegraph pole.

The Cheltenham Gold Cup-winning trainer was taken to Yeovil General Hospital following the crash just after 5am today (Thursday).

Mr Alner, 63, of Locketts Farm in Droop, near Sturminster Newton, was later airlifted to Frenchay Hospital in Bristol.

advertisementMr Alner, who trained 1998 Gold Cup winner Cool Dawn, had been driving a red Peugeot registered to a woman near Blandford Forum when the smash happened at Riversmead, Sturminster Newton.

A police spokesman said an 'elderly man' was trapped in the car following the crash and had been drifting in and out of consciousness with serious head injuries.
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Banned
    Thanks
    lets hope he pulls through

Thanks
    Hope he comes through this
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    Well lets do him the service of having the thread title amended.
    I could be the judge!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Kathy
    Terrible news. Fingers crossed we get some better news later.

Thanks
    He won't like that. Not only did the b*stards call him "an elderly gentleman" but now he's been renamed Richard. The latest report in the Post suggest he does not in fact have serious head injuries but has broken a bone in his neck which is currently being operated on.
    handsome is as handsome does

Thanks
    Good to hear the injury isnt as serious as initally thought, wish him a speedy recovery!

Kathy
    Could one of the moderators please change the title of this thread from Richard to Robert please.

Thanks
    ....or perhaps change "Richard Alner" to "Celine Dion". Just a thought...

Thanks
    at Rory.

According to our local news, hes recovering well in hospital.
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Thanks Trudi

Thanks
    A very popular bloke. Get well soon.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    ROBERT ALNER

Our thoughts go out to Robert Alner and his family. As you know Robert was involved in a car accident on Thursday. Regular updates on his condition are due to be posted by his family on www.newsonrobertalner.blogspot.com where there is also a facility to leave a message.

This is a message posted on D-PIPES web site....................

Endorsed by a lot of N-H fans on here too.................. get well soon....
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    This is still the latest up date............

Saturday November 10th 1015am

Robert had his operation yesterday afternoon. He was taken back into intensive care to be monitored and has had a comfortable night. Thanks for all your messages so far, we will update this as soon as we hear more.
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Kathy
    Thanks, Merlin.

Kathy
    Fingers crossed things improve for Robert Alner in the next few days.

Alner partially sedated while awaiting further surgery
    by Racing Post staff

ROBERT ALNER remains partially sedated while awaiting further surgery in Bristol's Frenchay Hospital following his road crash eleven days ago.

The Dorset trainer, who will be 64 on Wednesday, suffered a chest infection after surgeons operated on a broken bone in his neck last weekend, and he continues to require a ventilator to aid breathing.

Jockey Andrew Thornton said on Sunday night: “The latest is that Robert is stable, he is still in intensive care, and the prognosis is uncertain. It is too early to say how full a recovery he will be able to make.

“The next step is that the doctors are hoping to carry out a tracheotomy on Tuesday, but only if the infection has cleared up by then.”

LukeWilson
    I wish the Alner family all the best and hope he has a speedy recovery and pulls through this tradegy unscaved .

Kathy
    Courtesy of The Racing Post
    Alner continues to progress
    by Thomas Deane

ROBERT ALNER is continuing to make steady progress after being involved in a car accident two weeks ago.

The trainer has been in hospital since breaking a bone in his neck after his Peugeot 406 collided with a telegraph pole near Sturminster Newton in Dorset.

Surgeons delayed a tracheotomy after Alner developed a chest infection, but the procedure was carried out successfully on Wednesday after that affliction cleared up .

"Sally (Alner's wife) would like to say that Robert has had his tracheotomy and he's not beingsedated anymore," said jockey Andrew Thornton, who has long been associated with the yard and rode Miss Mitch to victory for the team at Wincanton on Thursday. "He's refusing to take it, which has got to be a good sign. It's a start and it will be a long road to recovery.

"But hopefully it is going to be a recovery and before long he'll be able to have people in to see him now the infection has cleared up," he told Racing UK.

"He can now breathe a little bit by himself and is a littlebit more comfortable.

"Sally would like to say thanks to everybody for all the emails and faxes she has received.

"She's overwhelmed by it all and really appreciates it."

Kathy
    Courtesy of The Racing Post

Alner continues to make slow progress
    by Graham Green

ROBERT ALNER, whose spirits have been buoyed by the recent upturn in his stable's fortunes, continues to make slow progress, although he is still experiencing breathing problems almost a month after sustaining a serious neck injury in a car crash.

The 64-year-old trainer remains in a "critical, but stable" condition in Bristol's Frenchay Hospital, although he is expected to be moved to Salisbury, closer to his Dorset yard, when an intensive care bed becomes available.

Alner's assistant Nick Mitchell said on Monday: "Robert is still on a ventilator for the majority ofthe time, but he is being taken off for, I think, eight minutes every two hours, which is a sign of progress, and he seems a lot happier.
    “Also, they are starting to elevate and sit him up a bit which, again, is encouraging, but it is obviously going to be long haul."

He added: “As far as moving him is concerned, we have been told he can be transferred when there is a bed at the hospital in Salisbury. That would make visiting much more convenient for his family and friends, and hopefully can happen before Christmas.”

The stable has sent out four winners over the last fortnight, with the latest successes coming at Chepstow and Lingfield last Wednesday.

Mitchell added: “Robert is fully aware of what we are doing with the horses andit is doing him the world of good to know we are having a few winners."

Kathy
    Some good news for Robert Alner with Miko De Beauchene winning the Coral Welsh National today. :clap: Let's hope that this prestigious win gives Robert a boost to his recovery. Well done, Andrew Thornton.