Thread: Saturday's Racing

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Just starting to have a gander and I notice Alph, decent winner at Kempton recently and ridden by Fitzy runs in the 13.40 at Ascot ridden this time by Christian Williams.Meanwhile Fitzy rides Cloone River for Charlie Swan in the same race.

Significant ?
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    I was rather surprised to see Alph win that race, was a few hype horses in behind.

Thanks
    Can't see Alph giving away the weight against that standard of opposition irrespective of who rides.

Thanks
    Alph's always been a very good horse but he's huge and headstrong and was very late maturing - prone to careless mistakes. Also he changed trainer this year...

I wasn't surprised at all ... As posted on another forum, the following day:

<< I've loved this giant of a horse since I first saw him dragging his eccentrically dressed part owner and 'keeper' round the paddock at Sandown in February last year, where he was beaten into 2nd by Royal Shakespeare [one of those behind him on Sunday]. I had a bit of e/w at 25/1 as I liked him so much - wish I had on Sunday - he was 25/1 again! - but someone was re-booting my laptop...

He's by Alflora... and must stand almost 18hh. He was sent over fences last year by Brian Johnson, but fell apart a bit - couldn't get himself organised; he was a really late developer and is still coming good at 10. He was usually ridden last year by Mattie Batchelor.

The hurdle race on Sunday was Mick Fitz's first ride on him, and he really gathered him up and held him together, and got him past Liberate over the last in spite of slipping on landing. Mick was laughing his head off when he came in - the horse has that effect! All his connections were thrilled - his part-owner, who usually wears full cowboy outfit inc stetson and string tie with his flowing locks in a pony tail, but for some reason was in total deshabille in jeans and sweatshirt, was given the horse to hold, or try to - and was dragged about as Alph showed off royally, then just stepped over as Alph surged forward to greet the photographers - Mick was almost trampled as well. Not the shortest of jockeys, his head in helmet came just below Alph's withers... Everyone was falling about laughing, inc the ruk team. It was quite a scene.

Alph's new trainer young Roger Teal was beside himself... he told Lydia he'd been hopeful: "We don't have another jumper in the yard, so I've been sending him up the gallops with a couple of sprinters! - and I thought, Hello!! - he's passing them!! I knew he certainly wouldn't lack for fitness" LOL Teal has been re-schooling him over fences and is hopeful this year he can get him to pull himself together properly, as he's always been a really good horse. The cowboy feller who's local to Surrey had just come in 'off the street' and said "Would you like to train Alph for me?"

I love stories like this. I hope the horse now fulfills his potential. He's a star character. >>

Charlie Swan might have bagged Fitzy a while ago - anyway who wouldn't want to ride Cloone River? I'm sure he'd love to ride Alph again, and with any luck he's done the horse a power of good and given him some confidence

Thanks
    Two that interest me tomorrow are Fairmile for Godolphin at Newmarket and State of Play with McCoy up at Wetherby.

The 2.40 Newmarket looks a 2 horse race with Fairmile and Mashaahed the 2 at the front of the market. Fairmile built on a good run behind Red Gala to win nicely at York last time out, beating the faniced Sunshine Kid and the once talented Best Alibi. Mashaahed was behind the selections stablemate last time out and although has run creditabley since his last win, Fairmile has his measure for me at a shade of odds on, 10/11 with Paddy Power.

Similar story for me in the 3.30 Wetherby, I'd have it between State of Play and Aces Four with preference for the former. No worries about fitness after the lay off after he won the Henessey last year after time off and he's partnered for the first time by Tony McCoy, hardly a negative. Although he may prefer it softer, looking at the opposition I think he'll handle it well enough to win. Aces Four is the danger, may well have been runner-up to Denman at Cheltenham last year without the stumble 3 out, but I'll be surprised if SoP doesn't have his measure tomorrow. SoP stand out 5/2 with Ladbrokes, AF as big as 9/2 (Corals & PP) & as short as 3/1.

Thanks
    I'm still not especially convinced over State Of Play, tbh. I think he's plenty short enough for the race.

Like Steve, Aces Four is the one I like and cannot get away from. For one reason or another half the field are horses I've not taken to or am convinced by; realistically Ollie Magern cannot be put up as you'd be taking an enormous leap of faith on old form that he hasn't reproduced for a while and he is a ridiculously short price. Bewleys Berry could be an interesting outsider for an each way punt - he's honest, consistent and jumps well. His drawbacks are that he is a tad slow and he is a bit slow and careful over his fences, which is precisely the reason he is suited so well to the Liverpool fences. If he gets away from them and keeps galloping he may be there in the shake-up though.

I also like My Turn Now (a Charlie Mann horse - arrgghhhhh!!!!!!! ) to give BJK another shock in the John Smiths and at Ascot I think Briery Fox should run a big race. He often wins first time out, has no weight and I'm not worried about the ground for him.
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    Having run 4th in the Gold Cup off levels (beat State of Play by a length) Monkerhostin surely has the form in the book? I know people say he's getting on a bit, but 3 of the last 7 renewals have fallen to 10yo's and fourth place on similar ground at Cheltenham hardly suggests he's in retreat just yet. He meets the same rival today on 6Ibs better terms, and will have the benefit of being fresher than he has been in some of his encounters, as he's clearly a horse whose been allowed to take his races on. I'd accept that being sent off co-favourite for National was a strange kind of endorsement that he retains his ability, and wouldn't seek to invoke it thus, but he didn't get very far round before refusing having looked completely out of sorts with the fences, at a time when quite a few of Phillip Hobbs's horses were running below par.

It just seems strange to me that a horse who was beaten fair and square in the Gold Cup and thus on ability, is about 3 times shorter than one who beat it, and one who meets it again on more favourable terms virtue of the 6Ibs pull at the weights? I can't help thinking that there's forecast in here too
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    I like Pinpoint in the fairmile race, didnt actually run a bad race in the Cambrdigeshire given where he was and the weight he had. I cant see him out of the 1st 2.

Also, Im on Justified over in Ireland and not very original, but should win nevertheless seasider tonight at kempton and knockavilla at whetherby today. Was really impressed by Seasider's last run, given the ground.

Thanks
    Most inconvenient having the United/Arse game kick off at 12.45 with all the good racing on.

I like Aces Four a lot but the trainer`s comments in the RP temper enthusiasm a lot.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Three jockeys were prevented from riding at Newmarket on Saturday after failing random breath tests before the first race at headquarters.

The testers appeared at Newmarket prior to the eight-race card and tested all jockeys in action at the meeting with Francis Norton, Dane O'Neill and Sam Hitchcott all testing positive.

All three were stood down for the day with Norton and O'Neill missing out on several rides, while Hitchcott was unable to take up his sole mount.

The three will now be referred to the British Horseracing Authority and could face further sanctions.
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    That's really bad news, esp as the levels are so low - you wouldn't need to drink much the night before to be over the limit, if you avoided breakfast to do your weight! I doubt very much it means they were reeling drunk

Kempton looks a shoe-in for several very short priced favourites tonight. My only speculative bets are on The Jailer in the 6.50 and Pinch of Salt in the 8.20, both small win and bigger place. I've also [sorry!] done a few forecasts :brows: [B] the biggest on Seasider and Storm Force reverse

Thanks
    I think they ought to invent a handicap system where alcohol levels are part of the race conditions. In addition to that the whip would be banned and replaced with a fag, with an ashtray placed between the horses ears. Jockeys would face bans if they were deamed not to have exhibited insufficiently excessive drags during races. Now that really would liven things up a bit, especially if I could extend it to novice chases
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    The Charlie Hall looked a good race: fast pace, most of them jumping well - even Monkerhostin hardly put a foot wrong - and keeping going all the way to the line.

I suspect State Of Play has improved a wee bit from last season but I also suspect he was probably as fit today as we can expect to see all year. Same goes for Ollie and I'd be surprised if either managed to find anything in advance of today's form. Monkerhostin has run very slightly below his best but I wouldn't necessarily expect him to do much more than he did today. He didn't seem to have any excuses.

Aces Four looks the one to take forward. He was ridden exactly to "Plan A" and did well to keep tabs for as long as he did. I can see him finding plenty on this form.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    I was thrilled Ollie won - nice tribute to Aldebrook, good timing! - although I backed Monkerhostin e/w at 8s, and forecasted him with State Of Play. That was probably his race for the year though! - mind you it's clear 6that NTD's horses are going much better under Brennan than they did last season, even given the yard flourishes early.

Agree that SOP probably ran up to his capability: he would be well fit and intended to win this, so hard to see where he'll go from here. Monkerhostin looked thoroughly cheesed off last back end, so this was a nice fto run esp as the Hobbs horses have generally been needing one. He jumped well and looked settled and content throughout, and ran on well enough after a fast pace, so I'll back him again soon.

Can't say I was impressed with Aces Four - but then I hadn't fancied him for this. Can't say why - I've no idea. In any case, he stopped very quickly which is worrying, as I'd have expected him to be wound up for the race given he prob won't race on softer ground through the winter.

Thanks
    I thought Aces Four ran a promising race - he loomed up at one point before seemingly blowing up.

I'm surprised Ferdy Murphy got away with telling the RP he wanted to give the horse a nice school round!! He was at pains to point out that the animal wasn't fully wound up as he wanted him to get through the season; it looked like he simply blew up to me.

In contrast, Ollie Magern will certainly have been spot on and Evan Williams had said State Of Play was ready as well - he also goes well fresh.
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    Fine piece of pace judgement from Brennan too.