Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deja Vu?

Thanks
    Katchit...cut to 5/1 for the Champion Hurdle after todays win? Detroit City all over again, and I am not sure Katchit is as "good" as Detroit City was.

Thanks
    He battled back well, he looked cooked up the straight, possible that Degas Art finds little though I find that hard to believe after his Aintree win last November. Does look reminiscent of Detroit City though Gal. I wouldn't want to be taking that short a price about any 4/5yo winning the Champion Hurdle.
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    Katchit surprised me all last season but 5/1 is ludicrous, such a long way to go and he hasn't even taken on a horse over the age of 4 yet!

Thanks
    Originally posted by Galileo@Oct 28 2007, 05:40 PM
    Katchit...cut to 5/1 for the Champion Hurdle after todays win? Detroit City all over again, and I am not sure Katchit is as "good" as Detroit City was.
    No, Katchit has never been as good as Detroit City is, or was. He is far better than that ungenuine creature and will show the doubters that as the season progresses.
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    In fairness it looks a bog standard division this season. I thought Katchit did well today, especially as he probably needed the run.

Thanks
    I would rather lay than back Kachit at 5s.

Thanks
    .....and he hasn't been ruined by a run in the Cesarewitch!!

Six and two threes really ~ it's a skinny price but the historical gap between 4yo's and their elders is (in my view) being eroded and Katchit is going to be a genuine contender. He has such a wonderful attitude and the hill at Cheltenham is made for him.
    handsome is as handsome does

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Interesting to note Alan King and Norman Williamson took different views on the ride on Degas Art, Norman saying he thought the jockey didn't help the horse by choosing to run up the inside of the Mann horse before belatedly switching back alongside Katchit on the run in which is where he should have gone in the first place whilst Alan King said the jockey made a major error in joining Katchit because in a head to head with Katchit there is only going to be one winner.

I'm very much in the "five year olds don't win Champion Hurdles" camp and lets face it he hasn't taken on the older horses yet so I reckon all this hype is just that at the moment.We heard all this about Penzance.

According to Alan King his next race will be in the Fighting Fifth at Newcastle and his performance there will dictate what his targets are for the rest of the season.
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    Weird that it took 5 months and 3 wins for it to ruin him.

Thanks
    I'm also very much in the camp that five year olds struggle against their elders and always have been - however I am convinced that this horse is a freak.

Yes, 5/1 at this stage is a mad price - I got on at 10/1 in March and have him in an each way doub with MWDS for the Gold Cup. Madness I'm sure but I was playing up winnings from the Festival!

Thanks
    I suspect he will be found out when he takes on the big boys...why not go straight to the Bula and forget the Fighting Fifth? While alot of the old guard are gone there were some decent two mile novices last year not forgetting Sublimity. Katchit is 5/1....Sublimity is 4/1...one point difference at this stage? Bookmakers having a laugh...

Thanks
    Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Oct 28 2007, 08:19 PM
    Weird that it took 5 months and 3 wins for it to ruin him.
    Gareth,

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt ~ he looked less that genuine when winning the Bula and has arguably gone a bit doggy. While I'm not at all certain that peaking him for a run on the flat in October had an adverse affect on him, it's true that very few horses are capable of being effective at a competitive level on the flat and over timber. It makes the achievements of Sea Pigeon nearly 30 odd years ago all the more noteworthy. He was a proper horse in an age of greatness.
    handsome is as handsome does

Thanks
    They're targeting the Fighting Fifth as it has the tiny incentive that if he wins that, the Christmas Hurdle and the Champion he earns himself a £1 million bonus. Not to be sniffed at!

Time will tell but I firmly believe Katchit is very, very good - he has the unique combination of being talented, genuine and tough as hell. I think he's bit of a freak, especially for a juvenile emerging into his subsequent season.

Thanks
    I thought the Bula was one of the bonus races, no?

Thanks
    Nope - King did actually say he wanted to go for the Bula but that it made sense to go for the bonus, or words to that effect. He said if he's beaten in the Fighting Fifth he may go for the Bula.

Thanks
    My Champion hurdle fancy runs in Galway tomorrow...and he's over 20/1 for the Champ!

Thanks
    Spot Thedifference?

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    :laughing:
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Thanks
    He does love that hill!!

Sorry gus I know its your "pet hate"...I was referring to Clopf.

Thanks
    I'm with SL and Rory here. I too think Katchit is a freak, even so I was amazed he was able to give almost a stone to Degas Art today, given his size; and I'm sure Alan was right in saying it was a moistake to bring DA alongside Katchit who then knew he had a race on and put his head a bit lower and pulled out that bit more. He's tiny, but all heart and guts - and he really loves racing.

Comparisons with Penzance are wide of the mark; the horse was always a bit 'moody'. Alan was never that bullish about 'Trigger' against the older horses - he knew very quickly the following year that he didn't have a Ch Hurdle prospect. He talks quite differently about this one. He's convinced this horse is the best he's had over hurdles, and is different class - a once in a lifetime horse.

Penzance is in very good order btw and working well, should be out soon. Sometimes horses which have come off the flat and done particularly well in their 4yr old hurdling career spend the next year or two in the doldrums; but they can then come back in their 6/7 year old season. Let's hope he does.