Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kieren Fallon

Thanks
    Will there be much coverage allowed in the papers? The earlier "mini trial" Fallon had trying to get off the charges was barely mentioned (certainly not in the RP) due to legal reasons. Will this be the same?

Racing on trial as Fallon faces the fight of his life
    It has been a roller-coaster ride for Ireland's top flat jockey, but now comes the most critical time of his career, writes John O'Brien

Sunday September 23 2007

Nearly 12 months ago, Kieren Fallon sat in the weigh-room at the Curragh and recalled times past, an age of innocence. Back in the 1980s, he'd been apprenticed at Kevin Prendergast's yard a few hoofbeats away. Charlie Swan was a fellow cub. "That was a good time," Fallon said, "the best of my life. Charlie and me in our flat in Kildare. We never had a worry in the world. We never worried about the taxman, never worried about the mortgage, never worried about anything. We just enjoyed life."

After Prendergast's, they went their separate ways: Swan to a joyful, success-laden career over jumps, Fallon to a turbulent, success-laden career on the flat. The years in England brought wealth and glory but saddled him, too, with cares and anxieties the young apprentice could never have foreseen. Altercations with fellow jockeys, allegations of pulling horses, a battle against alcohol addiction. It has been an extraordinary journey.

And now it enters its most critical phase. Tomorrow the long-awaited trial into charges that Fallon, along with others, conspired to defraud customers of the betting exchange, Betfair, begins at the Central Criminal Court in London and if found guilty, the 42-year-old faces a possible prison sentence and, more certainly, the end of what has been a mercurial riding career.

Fallon was arrested in July last year following Operation Krypton, a two-year police investigation into horse racing that resulted in 40,000 pages of evidence being passed to the Crown Prosecution Service. Specifically, the case against the former champion jockey centres on 18 races in which Fallon is alleged to have passed information onto a betting syndicate headed by Miles Rodgers which used it to lay horses to lose on Betfair. Fallon denies the charges.

Along with Fallon,there are five other defendants: Rodgers, fellow jockeys Fergal Lynch and Darren Williams, Lynch's brother Shaun and a Tamworth barman by the name of Philip Sherkle. But it is Fallon's name that will dominate the headlines and draw cameras and reporters in their droves to the court room.

In a sense, though, it is the entire sport and its credibility that is on show. The belief -- even among those who enjoy a flutter -- that racing and corruption go hand-in-hand is one that has always been hard to shake off. For the last decade in particular, there has been a concerted effort among racing authorities, with the help of the police, to identify fraud, punish the perpetrators and enhance the integrity of the sport and its image.

Following a haphazard start, they appear to be getting on top. Around the same time as Fallon was successfully suing the Sporting Life newspaper for libel in 1998, police were swooping on the homes of a number of jockeys including Jamie Osborne, Dean Gallagher and Leighton Aspell and questioning them in relation to doping and race-fixing allegations. Ultimately, no charges were brought against any of them.

Gradually, though, the investigations have been trawling deeper and some big fish have been netted. Graham Bradley, a former jump jockey, was warned off for eight years in 2002 after admitting in court to passing on information for cash to Brian Wright, a convicted drug baron. On appeal, Bradley's sentence was reduced to five years.

Last year two jockeys, Brian Reilly and Dean Williams, were banned for 18 months for passing information for cash to a bookmaker and this year has brought further casualties. Robert Winston, a highly-rated Dublin-born jockey, was banned for one year after being found guilty of a similar offence. Fellow jockeys Robbie Fitzpatrick and Luke Fletcher were handed three-year bans. Fran Ferris was disqualified for two years.

The case against Fallon must be seen in the context of that 10-year battle against corruption. Put simply, there are those among racing's ruling elite who would welcome a successful prosecution as not only would it offer further evidence that they are winning the war but that nobody -- least of all a multiple champion jockey -- is beneath their radar. The time and money expended during the course of the decade would be more than justified.

But there is deep unease too in racing circles at how the case has proceeded. Should the charges against Fallon be dismissed -- as he and his legal team believe -- then questions will surely be asked of the decision of the Horseracing Regularatry Authority to suspend the jockey after he was charged with conspiracy to defraud in July last year. There are those of the belief that the presumption of innocence until proven otherwise, so central to British justice, was suspended in Fallon's case.

The strength of the case against him is open to question too. It is supposedly based on 18 races in which Fallon is alleged to have passed information to Rodgers. The doubts centre on the fact that Fallon won six of those races and that the betting syndicate suffered a net loss.

If the prosecution accepts, as has been claimed, that Fallon received no monetary reward for the information, then his precise motive has to be established.

None of that clearly absolves Fallon if sufficient evidence is produced against him, but even if the former champion has sometimes been guilty of keeping bad company, that on its own is insufficient grounds to condemn him. Fallon denies any connection with Rodgers and to succeed, the CPS must prove they had a meaningful relationship and shared regular contact.

We should not anticipate quick answers. Fallon's legal team expect the trial to last at least four months and that might be a hopeful forecast. There will be times Fallon will think back to those carefree days of the Eighties and wonder how it came to this but, for now, he must steel himself for the fight of his life.

Banned
    Thanks
    Specifically, the case against the former champion jockey centres on 18 races in which Fallon is alleged to have passed information onto a betting syndicate

If those races are what the whole thing has been built on, as is suggested here, then when someone makes a judgement they are going to wonder what KF did wrong when winning on 6 of them.

40,000 pages???? bloody hell h34r:

Thanks
    I still can't wait to see if Russian Rhythm's Lockinge is really one of those races.

Thanks
    It is.

Thanks
    If I was laying horses on a jockey's behalf I'd have been laying horses he thought he'd win on on the laying account while backing them on a different account (I could even back them at sp with bookmakers as my laying on my betfair account would probably cause a drift). That way the laying account would show a few winners. I think a few of them cottoned on to this idea later. The token winner on a few of those suspended by the hra always seemed to be late on (after they knew they were under investigation).
    A curmudgeon barely alive

Thanks
    Totally agree HT

Anyone thinking that the relevant accounts laying the odds winner is a proof of innocence is being incredibly naive.

You could stick a high profile horse like RR in as a lay and get as much as you like on to win at a price with a bookie to cover any potential loss should it win. Even the most simple minded criminal would surely think of this?

Thanks
    The BBC reckon there'll be a week of legal argument before the trial-proper starts.

Banned
    Thanks
    Anyone thinking that the relevant accounts laying the odds winner is a proof of innocence is being incredibly naive.

You could stick a high profile horse like RR in as a lay and get as much as you like on to win at a price with a bookie to cover any potential loss should it win. Even the most simple minded criminal would surely think of this?

I know I'm naive TDK, you tell me about once a week cry

A criminal would really have to be simple minded to back a horse for more to win with a bookie than the lay on Betfair..what easier way of admitting they knew what the result was going to be??? ..slightly more incriminating to do such a silly thing than just to lay on Betfair.

I never said it was proof of innocence..I said that if KF is being judged on his ability to deliberately throw races..then a strike rate of 33% wins doesn't make him look very good at it does it?

Thanks
    Originally posted by EC1@Sep 24 2007, 08:42 PM
    A criminal would really have to be simple minded to back a horse for more to win with a bookie than the lay on Betfair..what easier way of admitting they knew what the result was going to be??? ..slightly more incriminating to do such a silly thing than just to lay on Betfair.
    They wouldn't know he had backed it with the bookmakers though.
    A curmudgeon barely alive

Thanks
    Exactly - you could walk into a betting shop and anonymously have a few grand on one of the favourites in a group 1 without an eyebrow being raised.

Thanks
    Originally posted by tdk@Sep 24 2007, 08:33 PM
    Exactly - you could walk into a betting shop and anonymously have a few grand on one of the favourites in a group 1 without an eyebrow being raised.
    Surely they'd know it was him if he had that leather jacket and the matrix shades on though. And the fact that all they could see is his hands on the counter reaching up. :laughing:

Banned
    Thanks
    TDK is suggesting they do have those records as well though Tom..is how I have read his charge of naivety in my direction. :laughing:

If they have not got bookmakers account records..then anyone can be accused of this with no defence for themselves whatsover surely?

Jockey says..well if I have been paid to lose..how come I won on 33% of them then?

If there are no bookmaker records then the jockey cannot be proved to be bent...it's no use someone saying..well it's obvious..they back the winners to win much larger amounts than the betfair lay...where is the proof???

If no records of these bets exist...then the only evidence is the betair records..which show Fallon was laid to lose...as is every fav..and he won on 33% of them.

No one can prove these BETS exist...but it basically means..ANY jockey can be kicked out of the game..because someone can suggest..as TDK has..that someone MUST have backed the ones that did win.

I cannot in any way see that KF can be found guilty of anything except winning as expected....unless bookie records are produced to show that those he won on were bet by the others allegedly involved.

all this is allegedly allegedly by the way :dork:

Banned
    Thanks
    TDK

so you are saying that these records will exist then and will be being used?

if that is the case then,,the backing of those that win..makes those involved look real dimbos..not the clever ones you make out when trying to show my naivety. norty

Thanks
    EC1, the way I see it is so what if a jockey has a 33% strike rate of winners. He only needs to have laid 5% of his losers and he could have made a mint.

Banned
    Thanks
    they didn't lay 5% of the horses though from what can be gathered... there were 18 races named that KF was allegedly supposed to lose in, he won on 6 of them. The fact that 18 races are mentioned suggests that in all those 18 races his mount was expected to lose.....alllegedly

sorry if I haven't totally got what you are suggesting..i'm getting more confused by the day with it anyway....allegedly

if this case involves more than this 18 race scenario..then why even release that information..they should have just said he is accused generally of changing results for gain...why name the 18 races?

the whole thing looks like total overkill and the time it's taken to come to court is an absolute joke...allegedly

smacks of stretching it out because they are struggling to make it stick..allegedly

none of the coverage is good for racing and the longer it goes on just prolongs bad headlines for the game...allegedly

most folk I know with no interest in racing believe it's corrupt from top to bottom anyway..and this stuff just adds fuel to their fire

maybe the whole lot should be closed down if it's as bad as most punters think..and everyone else thinks come to that.

Thanks
    my mistake EC, i thought you meant his strike rate for the season not of the 18 races in question.

Thanks
    I echo your point of view, but there has to be more to it than we know about in the public domain. Otherwise the CPS would have thrown the charges out against Fallon by now. this made me think twice (taken from RP)

"They arrested 34 people, conducted over 500 interviews, took more than 1,300 statementsand provided over 5,000 exhibits and nearly 40,000 pages of evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service".

Banned
    Thanks
    no problem..didn't really make the 33% bit clear

the whole thing is a large thorn in the side of racing..will be glad when they sort it out

if he has been cheating..which I hope he hasn't..and believe he hasn't..then they will have to make an example of him..deservedly so...allegedly

Banned
    Thanks
    yes..a lot of work

it's one almighty **** up and waste of money if he has done nothing wrong...and if the allegations are not proven..and has dragged racing through the mud for nothing under those circumstances

like you say..we do not know the full monty on this..so why leak any info at all?..just bizarre to me.

surely leaking information has already predjudiced it in some way?

all allegedly

allegedly norty

Thanks
    Didn't the 18-race info come from the defence?

Either possible verdict in the case is going to blow the sport apart. Interesting times...