Thread: After The Collapse Of Turf2000 In 2006 Now

Kathy
    I do feel sorry for the poor people that buy into these "clubs" expecting stable visits, a tipping line, and more importantly horses to support and go racing with.

Latest from The Racing Post:

Racing club suspends activities
    by Turia Tellwright

THE financial position of the Alan Brazil Racing Club was thrown into question on Friday when the club announced that it has been obliged to suspend activities due to “refinacing” difficulties.

Only one horse, the Gary Moore-trained Tamreen, has run under the ‘Alan Brazil Racing Club Ltd' banner so far this year. The gelding was most recently seen running in a Fontwell bumper on September 9 in his trainer's own colours. He has not raced under the Alan Brazil banner since finishing last in a handicap hurdle at Fontwell in April.

"There were no longer sufficient funds in the Weatherbys' account for me to enter the horse," said Moore on Friday.

“He was ready to run and so I have been running him under my own name."

However, callers to the club were on Friday still being treated as potential clients, despite the club's website posting a worrying notice.

The notice read: "The discussions relating to the re-financing of the Alan Brazil Racing Club have continued. However given current market conditions it is thought unlikely that these will be concluded in the near future.

"Accordingly it has been decided, reluctantly, to suspend until further notice the activities of the Racing Club. Accordingly the club's horses will no longer run in club colours and the club website will close with immediate effect.

"Should current discussions with potential finance partners and commercial partners turn out favourably then the clubs activities will resume. In the event that no favourable outcome is possible then the directors will consult with the principal creditors."

One club member, who wished to remain anonymous, reported that he has not heard anything from the club since the last monthly newsletter arrived in May 2006. The club's direct line is also no longer in use.

Moreover, the club's tipster, Sean Trivass, better known to members as 'Sir Ivor', left when he failed to receive payment for his services and has since sent an email out to members informing them that he has now set up his own tipster service.

Membership to the club costs an annual fee of £260 and advertises benefits such as daily racing tips and complimentary days at trainer Neville Callaghan's Rathmoy Stables.

Despite the fears for owners' investments in the club, the British Horseracing Authority, whose stated aims include protecting the integrity of the sport, declined to comment on Friday, reasoning that the controversy was not a "regulatory issue".

In May 2006 the HRA warned racing club Turf 2000 owners John Grey and Kate Holden off racing, 12 months after disputes with trainers Nick Littmoden and Jamie Osbourne concerning unpaid training fees. The club's remaining three horses were acquired by the Alan Brazil Racing Club for trainer Jonathan Jay who was owed £7,500 in training fees.

Club members are today left questioning whether they are facing a case of deja-vu.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Is the author of that piece related to that ever popular Clerk of the Course, Kirkland?
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Wasn't Brazil involved in some other controversy a couple of years back about unpaid bills regarding his racing club?

Thanks
    I've been involved in four or five racing clubs in my time. One I joined about 4 years ago which was formed by owners in a yard in which I had friendly relations [still have, in fact!] owes me 945 quid approx, for my share of winnings under the terms on which I joined. The owners unilaterally decided when one filly in particular started to win a lot of money, to keep the winnings towards "hospitality" rather than paying them out to the members with a badge on the day, as per the terms of joining. When I complained, I was summarily thrown out :angy: h34r: h34r: The BHB as it then was offered to try to help via their legal dept, but it was a tricky situation. There is always small print...

In spite of an email promising me my money, I've never got it. It's difficult to take this further without involving the trainer, who of course wants nothing of the dispute... When I tried to press the matter I was threatened with a libel action - charming! The owner then had the gall to stand for the ROA Council last time around!! - he didn't get on :brows: I do see former members at the races, all seem to have quit! [names by pm if anyone is desperate to know who to avoid].

My other bad experience was with a club set up by one of the London arts clubs I belong to - in that case the guy who set it up and ran it was just incompetent and didn't keep people informed, so they drifted off and didn't pay up, esp as the horse was a 'morning glory'. But it was very cheap, and the only person who really suffered was the poor trainer, the saintly Arbo, and the treasurer, who finished up paying all the Weatherbys fees.

A few clubs are very well run - Elite obviously, the granddaddy of them all: Tony, the owner, was prepared to underwrite the club for many years until it grew into profit - the broodmare band alone is now worth several million. It's big and soulless, but it suits a lot of people and you do get value for money, esp the intro to some top yards.

The Countryside Alliance/Foxtrot syndicates I've been involved with, managed by Tom Gittins of Foxtrot, are also well run and excellent value. The Lidds' Club is very social and great fun, with monthly yard mornings and lots of excursions; and as members pay by the month and don't own the horses, it's not a big outlay.

I wouldn't trust any club set up for what I would term 'gambling purposes' rather than as a social way to go racing. It wounds as though Brazil's club came into that category...

Thanks
    I wouldn't trust my money in anything to do with Alan Brazil full stop. He doesn't just fail the "buy a used car" test - I wouldn't sell him one!

Thanks
    Driving to work I am constantly faced with the Nicky Campbell or Alan Brazil dilemma. I have taken to reading a newspaper.
    Winners have no shame, no matter how they win - Niccolò Machiavelli

Thanks
    I've met Brazil and his cronies several times at the races and I wouldn't trust him an inch.
    handsome is as handsome does

Thanks
    Originally posted by betsmate@Sep 22 2007, 08:47 PM
    Driving to work I am constantly faced with the Nicky Campbell or Alan Brazil dilemma. I have taken to reading a newspaper.
    I think that is irresponsible.

Thanks
    To be sure Betsy has a chauffeur

Thanks
    Isn't there another racing club that has just folded? The one that had horses with Tom George, including Wind Instrument?
    Speak your mind, but ride a fast horse. ~ Anon

Thanks
    Ryder Racing - also had Balthazaar's Gift, but decided they'd rather have him with half the trainers in the country than win a Group 1.

Thanks
    Callaghan anger as Brazil escapes warning-off

by Graham Green

TRAINER Neville Callaghan has been left fuming after discovering that TalkSport radio presenter Alan Brazil, whose racing club collapsed owing him more than £18,600 in unpaid training fees, is not being banned from the sport.

The three directors automatically became disqualified persons when they, along with the club, which suspended activities due to “refinancing” difficulties in September, were recently placed on the forfeit list. However, as Brazil was not on the board, despite fronting the venture he launched in 2003 and which bears his name, he remains free to attend race meetings and visit stables.

This has outraged Callaghan, who has found himself saddled with the club's debt and wants to see Brazil warned off.

Gary Moore also trained for the club, which charged members an annual fee of £260, buthas since taken ownership of handicap hurdler Tamreen in lieu of debt.

“Alan Brazil shouldn't be allowed to go racing,” said Callaghan yesterday. “He should be disqualified and dealt with.”
    Chairman Neil McClure and fellow directors John Coombs and Jonathan Hale now appear on the forfeit list for £18,620.05p – the same amount as the club – and are unable to go racing until the debt is cleared, but Brazil has not been censured.

British Horseracing Authority spokesman Owen Byrne said: “When a company is put on the forfeit list, under our rules the directors are disqualified persons while the debt remains unpaid. Alan Brazil is not a director of the company and is therefore not disqualified.”

Brazil replied to this criticism by saying: “As far as I'm concerned, I gave it my all, I put loads of money in.

“I'm just gutted that the club has gone down. I had some great times doing it, we had winners, but it's just a very expensive sport and unfortunately the money that we thought was definitely coming, didn't come and that was what caused all the problems. It was as simple as that.”

Kathy
    I can understand why Neville Callaghan would be more than a little upset. I have to admit that I am not sure how trainers can allow such massive debts to be run up by owners (who ever they are) not paying their training bills but I know it goes on. Just a shame Neville didn't have a horse to take in lieu of the debt. Not a great advert for Alan Brazil however much he says he also put money in. That's not quite the point.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    One would have to be a NUT!!! To have anything to do with A-BRAZIL....... I know his sister too, HAZEL.................... :angy: :xmastree:

These racing clubs are given a wide birth by yours truly......a small syndicate yes with no retainer-organiser earning monies off others backs, is or would be an ideal situation?..........
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Thanks
    The sad thing is that all small racing clubs get tarred with the same brush, when people act like this.
    I was caught when I joined one formed in a yard I was friendly with a few years ago - the premise was that you shared the prize money when you had the badge, and this was on their literature...

I went to everything while it was still very small - I was the first paying member... and then one of the horses started to win quite a bit of money. It was immediately decided by the directors to put all prize money towards 'hospitality' - ie getting pissed! - and I was then thrown out when I complained! I'm still owed 945 quid, 4 years later........ The trainer was very embarrassed, but is still a friend [unlike the couple who run the racing club LOL - names on application by pm!!]. I'd sue only it owudl drag my friend the trainer into the situation, so I can't, much as I'd love to

The small racing club I currently belong to [at Al's yard] is terrific value on the other hand, and as everyone pays monthly there's never any danger of members getting ripped off - which they would never be anyway. It's a real shame when villains muddy the waters, as a small racing club is a terrific way to get involved.