Thread: Are They Less Gullible Than We Thought?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This story in the Racing Post this morning seems to suggest that the HRA are waking up and smelling the coffee!! (sorry).

Next thing they will be doing is refusing Sir Mark's horses a handicap mark!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Flood refused racing return

by Graham Green

DAVID FLOOD, the former Group-winning trainer who is halfway through a two-year disqualification, claims to have been left “heartbroken and mentally devastated” after being refused permission to work for his wife Cheryl, whose licence application is due to be heard on Friday.

Flood, warned off for two years over the doping of Mossmann Gorge at Newmarket in July 2005, was informed when his ban began last June that he could seek employment in racing after 12 months, but the couple's hopes that the 39-year-old could resume as assistant/head groom in the family's latest training venture have been dashed.

The Horseracing Regulatory Authority's disciplinary panel, faced with Flood's application, rejected it on the grounds the original decision allowing his early return to the sport ‘must have contemplated that he would do so with a licensed person who could exercise appropriate monitoring and supervision of Flood's work and behaviour, essentially to begin a process of rehabilitation. It is obvious that this will not be feasible with his wife as employer'.

Mrs Flood, 27, who is believed to meet all the qualifying criteria for the job, has applied to operate from Tedsmore Racing Stables at West Felton, near Oswestry, where she will be an employed trainer for Results Racing.

Her husband, who appeared on the fast track to success thanks to high-profile wins with Im Spartacus and Jonny Ebeneezer, says he has no wish to work for another trainer and intends registering as unemployed.

Flood said: “What I find so heartbreaking is the fact that they told me last June that I could work in racing after 12 months, and now they tell me I can only be a yardman, but not even in my wife's yard.
    “To be found guilty of a non corruption-related offence where the only benefactor was the horse, and for me and my family to be put through so much is, at the very least, morally disgraceful.

“Because of the HRA's decision, I have now received by fax the termination of my employment with Results Racing, my job in their pre-training yard finishes this Friday.

“I feel heartbroken and mentally devastated. For the record I strenuously deny and have always denied what the HRA found me guilty of, and I feel the racing public should know that if I had admitted guilt, even in August 2005 when questioned by HRA security, this would have been all over now. But why should I admit to something I didn't do?”

HRA spokesman, Paul Struthers, said: “David Flood was declared a disqualified person for two years for deliberately administering a prohibited substance with the intention of affecting the performance of the horse and for the manner in which he deliberately misled the Jockey Club with constant changes to his story.

“With regard to his application to work for his wife, the disciplinary panel had concerns that the timing of Cheryl Flood's application to train, coinciding as it did with the date from which he could first apply to work in racing, and decided that it was just a vehicle to allow David Flood to work in racing again and in a role with far greater responsibility than the original order envisaged.

“The disciplinary panel never stated that Mr Flood would be guaranteed to be able to work after 12 months, but he is perfectly entitled to apply to work for another trainer, as he is well aware.”
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Jun 13 2007, 08:34 AM
    “To be found guilty of a non corruption-related offence where the only benefactor was the horse, and for me and my family to be put through so much is, at the very least, morally disgraceful.

Ah, so doping isn't corruption?

The only benefactor was the horse? So why do it? For the horse's good?

The consequences are morally disgraceful? Pots, kettles and name calling come to mind.

With comments like these, the guy should be banned sine die. He obviously treats everyone with utter contempt and appears to have convinced himself he's a victim. People like that strike me as being very likely to re-offend as they don't appear to appreciate the seriousness of their actions.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    What did the horse have to say about forcibly receiving such benificence? "Yeah, I was delighted old Dave shot me up. He's a real diamond." I think this bloke's living in a world of self-pitying delusion because he's brought himself to grief - blame everyone else, and try to spin things so that doping in no way would benefit anyone. Hilarious, really. It's a shame he can't be banned permanently for being a danger to himself.
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    Yes, the HRA are so cute as to this type of ploy that no-one has managed it before...!! They let it go on a few years back whilst turning a blind eye to the fact that a trainer they had stripped a licence from was running his horses out of a yard at which he was working as an "assistant trainer" during his suspension.....:suspect:
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    Should racing have out of competition drug testing as they do in athletics?

I don't honestly think it happens but as seen in cycling there are unscrupulous so and so's out there and there's an entire 6 months when some horses aren't running and as such aren't being tested.
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    There was a big fuss when they started raiding yards to dope test a couple of years ago. Maybe they still do, but it no longer gets a mention.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think they do 'of sorts', Martin.

Didn't a team turn up at Pipey's one day?
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    They turned up unannounced at Pipe's and Nicholl's yards and tested all their horses - all negative.

Thanks
    David Flood in an interview before he was warned off made a great thing of having 'attitude' - he was boasting he didn't mind how many people he upset, he rather enjoyed getting a reputation for belligerence ,enjoyed being an outsider, since all he cared about was success - and the racing establishment could get lost &tc &tc...

I think he might have upset rather too many of the wrong people :laughing:

Thanks
    Verily, for is it not written that the small dog receives the smite, and the large dog which smiteth? (Deuteronomy, 5-4)
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    Mr Flood is the biggest flake I've seen in racing in quite some time. He was reported by a racegoer for striking one of his own horses at Lingfield a couple of years back and appeared on ATR in tears to complain how hard done by he was. He's a mentalist, m'lud!
    handsome is as handsome does

Thanks
    It wasn't that long ago Paul Scotney went to America to view racecourse security and how they keep out dopers. Here we have a doper who was banned from training for 2 years but is allowed to wander freely in racecourse stables.

Are They Less Gullible Than We Thought?
    No.
    A curmudgeon barely alive

Thanks
    ^
    handsome is as handsome does

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rorydelargy View Post
    He's a mentalist, m'lud!
    You may have to use that line again Rory.