Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Giovanni D'oro

Thanks
    As some of you may recall, a few weeks ago I posted a thread about our syndicates difficulty with finding a new horse after parting company with Brut and David Barker.

Well after a stressful few weeks and with a lot of help we've finally got one...

We've purchased Giovanni D'Oro out of Neville Callaghan's yard. Giovanni D'Oro (We've started calling him Gio!) was owned by Michael Tabor and made 270,000 gns as a yearling. I've been told that Gio is the fourth most expensive offspring of Johannesburg to be sold at public auction. Obviously, he's disappointed Coolmore at Callaghan's and now he's rated 52, he serves no purpose for either party. He's had 6 starts and started to show some promise in his last 2, finishing 4th at Wolverhampton after travelling very well and finishing 6th at Brighton where he got badly outpaced and got banged about a bit before staying on well suggesting he needs a longer trip (7f+).

He will be trained by Mandy Rowland who is based in the Sherwood Forest near Mansfield in Nottinghamshire. Mandy hasn't had an enormous amount of flat horses but she's done well with what she's had, and in 2006 she had 35 runners with 11 of those seeing the winners enclosure in some form! She's got her own land and gallops with great facilities for a small yard and being just 20 mins from Southwell racecourse is helpful.

Me and Mandy went down to Newmarket earlier in the week to see Gio and Mandy was happy with him but he needs to fill out a bit as he's rather skinny at present. One of the lads at Callaghan's said that Newmarket stresses Gio out and he goes off his food after some serious work or a race and he said a change of scenery could improve him and that's what we hope will happen. He obviously hasn't had much attention at Callaghan's, a 52 rated Michael Tabor owned horse won't do I suppose and he's been fed what the others have got, at Mandy's he'll get what he wants within reason! He'll have a lot more fuss made of him and he'll be able to hack out in the forest and generally relax a lot more than at Newmarket. Overall, I hope he'll be a happier horse. He'll take it easy at Mandy's for the next week or so, just settling into his new surroundings before we step up his work. We hope to have him out again in our colours by early June; probably over 7f or a mile, we feel at 3, he still has improvement in him and whilst he'll never recoup his high sales value as a yearling, we hope he'll provide us with some fun over the next few years.

I went to see him this morning and he was being a bit of a lad, ruining a new rug in the field by rolling around and managing to give himself even more cuts since he gave himself some in the lorry (As you'll see below!) He also refused to go into his stable and we had to get some polos out in order to get him in! I therefore didn't get many good photos of him but there is one below for you all to look at, sorry he's looking a bit tatty, I'll get some better ones in a couple of weeks.

Finally, thank you for all the help and support I've had from members of this forum, a number of you have been excellent and gone out of your way to help us find a horse and this is much appreciated. We do have a few shares available in him so if anyone is interested, then please drop me a PM.

I'm bored of this. I'm going for a Twix.

Thanks
    Well done Gamla - I know just what a slog this has been for you! He looks a lovely type and I'm sure he'll improve a lot in a less pressured environment - though beware of dogs etc, some horses which have never been out of HQ suffer quite a culture shock when they get to the country

I'm pm you about a supplement which has helped a lot of fussy eaters, some of whom may have had ulcers which are hard to detect

All the best of luck - as you know I've met Mandy and liked her a lot, and I'm sure any horse will flourish with her - and we'll all look forward to watching 'John O'Gold's' progress with great interest

I'm just sorry you didn't take on my Freddie..... give him a pat and a Polo [and take care he doesn't bite you :laughing:]

Thanks
    Good luck Gamla, he looks like he has some character amd spirit and I am sure more will come out in a smaller yard where he can be more of a big fish. Some horses improve a lot by a chnge of place. Hope you have enjoyable adventures and look forward to more photos!
    Speak your mind, but ride a fast horse. ~ Anon

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Good luck, Stan.

He certainly has the look of a winner.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Banned
    Thanks
    Have a great time with him and good luck.

Thanks
    Good luck with him - and keep an eye on those feed bills if your trainer lets them eat what they want, God help!! :what:
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    That shouldn't be a problem thanks Shadz, it will all be included in the training fees. Mandy owns a large riding school too so she has a large menu for them to choose from I suspect.

As long as we get him eating after he does serious work, he should be fine. I hope now he's away from the stresses of Newmarket it won't even be a problem for him.
    I'm bored of this. I'm going for a Twix.

Kathy
    Well done, GS. I am so glad it all worked out for you in the end.

A little story for you. I was at Brendan's yard yesterday. They have a horse called General Knowledge who was highly respected BUT had a bit of a personality defect which caused him to be a bit of a handful. Everyone at his previous yard ended up disliking him, both human and equine. He was a difficult ride, was napppy BUT clearly talented.

Brendan has a lovely girl that rides out for him called Shonna (talented marathon runner too!) who is a very softly spoken young lady who is very gentle with all the horses. Brendan decided to pair the two of them up to see how she got on with him. The rest, as they say, is history. Within a few days GK had calmed down. Shonna noticed a difference in his behaviour the more time she spent with him on a one to one basis - spending her own time with him - just giving him plenty of TLC and talking to him. She is convinced GK had a complex and knew people didn't like him. :suspect:

Seb Sanders rode him a couple of weeks back at Sandown. General Knowledge played up in the paddock and seeing it on the telly Shonna phoned Brendan and told him to tell Seb to stick with him. He is not being naughty, just playful - as he was happy. At this stage Seb had already dismounted twice BUT after speaking to Brendan he was happy to continue. Off they went to the start and came a very respectable second and then went on to win a few days later with Seb insisting he took the ride. The owner was so thrilled at the turn around with General Knowledge he phoned Shonna and said a big thank you. It wouldn't surprise me if she got a nice prezzie too as Ian was so convinced the horse was better than he had seen previously if only they could settle him. GK runs again this week.

I think it's stories like this that prove that horses in some yards can vastly improve if the trainer knows what to look for and spends the time to try and find the key to making them tick.

I hope Mandy does the same for Giovanni D'oro for you & your syndicate, Gamla!

Thanks for the photo and please keep us updated with his progress.

Thanks
    A quick question Kathy

Brendan Powell didn't attend Chatsworth horse trials today did he? Could have sworn I saw him with daughter/niece etc. through the rain and my soaking wet glasses?
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Kathy
    No, he was at Plumpton today as far as I know, Martin.

Griffin
    Best of luck with him.

Thanks
    Good Luck!!

Thanks
    Re General Knowledge: I've seen this happen several times at Eastbury, where the horses live 'as family' as the house is in the yard and surrounded by it, and it's very social there - the horses get lots of cuddles and attention. Those which come in as proper headcases [inc one filly who was poached last year and is now back] - often distrustful of people and sometimes quite agressive - all calm down and get positively friendly. One still won't let a man into his box - he has to be done by a girl. It's so heartwarming though to watch them change character.

And several of the winners over the last two years have won from the yard for the first time, at 4, 5 or 6 or even older!

A group of deaf kids, from the famous school in Newbury, came to the yard with their teacher last week. It was wonderful to watch them interacting and communicating with the horses - some of whom would have sulked, or even bitten or kicked them when they first arrived.

Some horses can handle a big busy yard, esp the top-notchers - but a lot of moderate or sensitive horses fall into the cracks and get lost. If Gio has any talent, and on breeding he probably has, it should now get a chance to come out.

Thanks
    That'll be the Mary Hare then Heads!

Ah of course, Brendan was at Plumpton to watch his horse come second to that good, good thing in the bumper.....

Thanks
    No, not Mary SL! The other Eastbury trainer. I've never met Mary, oddly, although I heard the other day she's started building her house at last

I've heard some riveting gossip whilst pub-painting btw, it's so frustrating that in most cases I have no idea who is being referred to!! - a whole new strand of Lambourn society to get to grips with :what:

Thanks
    No no no - I meant the school; the deaf school is the Mary Hare!!

Thanks
    Good luck Gamla, we will surely follow him !
    I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts. (John Steinbeck)

www.spontano.net

Thanks
    Very best of luck with him, Gamla.
    Just Singin' the Blues ........

Thanks
    All the best with this fella, hope you have fun with him

Kathy
    How is Gio settling in to his new home GS? Any updates?