Thread: Clopf

Thanks
    Really love this horse and so impressive tonight at Tipperary. Looks like he is over his problems and I await his clash with the better novices at Punchestown with some interest. Has so many gears.

Thanks
    Looking back on some of his early season form, his drubbing of Aitmatov doesnt look to shabby now either, looked to really relish the ground today as well which is a big plus for future targets. Todays win is up on the ATR site already.

Thanks
    From the Sportinglife:

Clopf will step outside novice company for the first time over timber in Sunday's Maplewood Developments Morgiana Hurdle at Punchestown.

Edward O'Grady's charge won a Grade One at the track back in April and according to his handler, the six-year-old was not at his best on that occasion.

"The interesting thing with him is that I don't think he was within a stone of himself when he won at the Punchestown Festival," O'Grady said.

"He had won before that over a mile and six furlongs on the Flat, and won well.

"I had booked him in for a scan because I wanted to find out if there was anything wrong with the horse as he hadn't been right before Cheltenham.

"After Punchestown, it turned out he had a stress fracture of his humerus. We had to rest him for three months and he got very, very gross.

"While he looks fantastic at the moment and we've been doing as much as we can with him, he's still quite gross."

Clopf had his first start since when finishing in mid-division in a well-contested Flat race at Galway at the end of October.

O'Grady was satisfied with what he saw on that occasion and is now looking forward to seeing his charge take on some smart horses, with Iktitaf and Macs Joy among the potential opposition.

"At Galway, he steamed down the hill like an absolute express train and got to the cusp of the hill and just blew up. If he'd have blown up earlier, he might have got a second wind," O'Grady told At The Races.

"We've managed to get a bit of work into him and he's supposed to run on Sunday in the Morgiana at Punchestown.

"I expect he will run very well and I expect he will have a bit of improvement in him."

Thanks
    Good spot by O'Grady; could have had a nasty ending with that injury.

Thanks
    Possibly the leading Irish hope (after Sublimity) for this years Champion?

As you mentioned back in April Gal the drubbing of Aitmatov now looks pretty good - with a couple of pretenders to the Hurdling throne in behind Aitmatov the other day
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    Iktitaf also runs Sunday.

Thanks
    I am really sweet on Clopf and have been for some time. Whats more he a decent price for an antepost bet.

I thought at the time he was below par at Punchestown and O'Grady has confirmed that with a genuine excuse.

Thanks
    If I were the owner of Clopf,
    I would send him to A.Martin to try to win the Coral Cup in 2010.

Thanks
    why 2010, surely he would be low enough in the handicap for 2009, after all I see Mr Martin has acquired a right beast for this season from another yard and is bound to be a Festival winner off its current mark.

Thanks
    Ahhh great, you know the season is back on when suny is making a typically inflammatory comment about the ability of some horse which is bound to wind someone up!!!

Who is the beast that Martin has, Chris?!

Thanks
    Patsy Hall

Thanks
    Thats correct Suny.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The fact that Patsy Hall has ended up in Tony Martin's yard has more to do with his previous trainer than it does with his current..

Rate Clopf a really good prospect myself.. certainly wasn't overly impressed with his Punchestown run (genuine excuse it seems), but the one positive I would take from that run was that he wasn't shirking a battle, and found a good deal under pressure, considering he was probably quite a ways below his best..

Thanks
    I like the way Clopf travels in his races. He just blew up in his last run at Galway and should be spot on now.

I thought in the Punchestown race he was held up way off the pace and given a lot to do but did it well in the circumstances. He may be better running a little closer to the pace.
    2212-6113-12521D3304-5421 Stud

Like many of the very best ten-furlong horses, Powerscourt has that ability to quicken. He's a very tough and genuine horse and was a joy to train."—Aidan O'Brien

Thanks
    I dont really rate clopf but if he was injured when winning at Punchestown then there is some chance. But to me for him to be a serious champion hurdle contender, you must forget about that run. He simply isnt nearly good enough on that form. Also, if anyone thinks that the Aitmatov has improved dramatically (IMO) over the summer and I wouldnt read much if anything into his form at this stage with clopf.
    Thought clopf was class at this time last year, but i have revised my opinion. Hope I;m proved wrong for his supporters.
    I went swimming in the Caribbean. Animals were hiding behind rocks

Thanks
    The horse was clearly wrong after his run in the storm at Fairyhouse behind Hide The Evidence. His bumper form was smart, his early season form while maybe not that strong was extremely impressive visual, and he won his Grade one off a far from ideal prep (one race on the flat and not over hurdles since before Christmas). He is 20-25/1 for the Champion, trained by a proper trainer and now ridden by a proper jockey….I am trying not to fall into the Back In Front trap again but given his price I think he is decent value.

Thanks
    I rate his performance at Fairyhouse exactly the same to his previous one.