View RSS Feed

yorick

Thursday 11th August 2022

Rate this Entry
Good morning.

Another scorcher expected in Norwich today and amen to that, I say.

As far as the racing goes, yesterday was the sort that comes along every so often and, as such, must be taken on the chin and we move on.

Once again, I'd say that today's fare is no great shakes and must be taken with huge dollops of caution. I give a few which are the result of a good old study and I hope, more than anything else, that they give me a run for my shekels. So, caveat emptor.

Tadreeb - 5.10 Lingfield 9/2 Ew Unpl

Yes, held up in last and suffered from the dusty kickback, I thought. Nonetheless, with 3f to go, still last but by the end of it all, running on into 7th. ("Held up in rear, ridden over 1f out, ran on inside final furlong, not reach leaders") He'll drop a Lb or two for this which will bring him to his LWR, just about.

No great price but I did think this may have had a decent ew chance in Orbaan's race at Ascot on Saturday. He's twice a c/d winner and, although drawn wide, he is usually held up so the draw here should allow him to be dropped in. He needs to be played late, I think, so be patient and don't despair when watching.

Although his mark is slightly above his LWR, he's only a 4yo so we might expect some more from him. Trainer Attwater had a winner at Salisbury yesterday.

I'll be having a little ew on another in the race, too:

Natural Path - 5.10 Lingfiled - Ew 10/1 6 places 3rd

Ran a decent race and the pace was ok.

I like the look of this one on account of the class he's been running in, which looks good in the context of this race. Particularly his 3rd to Shine So bright at Newmarket in May. I notice that they apply some headgear today and I'd like to think this will sharpen him sufficiently to add improvement. Pilot Jack Mitchell is flying at the moment, with four winners from his last eight rides.

Over to the last at Lingfield:

Reverend Hubert - 8.10 Lingfield Ew 12/1 5 places Unpl.

This was a muddling pace, wasn't it? The race time backs that up so frustrating that it didn't play into the hands of the proper stayers.

He's been running in some decent races, this fellow and I consider this to be an easier task. Lto out he tried to make all but was soon gathered in over 1m 6f. He's back up to his winning distance and looks to be priced nicely at 14/1. I'd like to take the 12's for an extra place.

I might have done King's Blame It On sally, too, on account of being closely matched with RH on the book but King's horses are 0-18 over the last two weeks so I'll give that one the swerve and have a pop at:

Gordon's Jet - 8.10 Lingfield 23/2 Ew 5 Places. 6th

A real shame that this turned into a sprint for the line. My fellow made nice late headway to finish just one place out of the first 5 (grrr) but did show, I think, that 2m is right for him and I'll have an eye on him.

He's a jumps horse, this and had his first flat h/cap lto over 10f which is odd since he'd previously won his flat maiden over 12f. Today they whack him up all the way to 2m and send him down to Lingfield, where trainer Ellison enjoys a 1-2 strike rate. I always am drawn to those who are stepped markedly up in trip and so will have an ew sniff and see how we go.

As I say, quietly does today after yesterday's spanking, eh?

Good luck

All in all, it's just as well I took it easy on the betting since it was a frustrating sort of day which could have been much better but the margins in this game are slim, aren't they? Nil desperandum

Updated 11th August 2022 at 8:57 PM by yorick

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments