View RSS Feed

yorick

Sunday 7th August 2022

Rate this Entry
A lazy Sunday for me the highlight of which will be a country walk with a pair of binoculars, I think.

I will do a couple today but be warned: I wouldn't be putting anyboday's mortgage on, let alone my own. I have a bet for interest today and different reasons for each of my two selections.

My first is:

Frankenstella - 5.15 Haydock 9/1 Ew nr

This is a mare I've followed from early on in her racing career, which would have been more full than it has been to date but for some shenanigans with her previous owners to do with financial what-not best not discussed on here. I locked on to her breeding which seemed to scream stayer and indeed on she went to prove so, winning me some nice bets in the process. I was delighted to see her back in training this year and I see no reason why her upward trajectory shouldn't continue. I had certainly considered her to a horse that should be rated in the 90's, so today's mark really holds no fears. The fact that her absence was not due to injury is a positive and today's race, on the face of it, looks well within her compass.

However, I think she has the potential to win a bigger pot than this. The fact that she's entered in the Irish Ces might confirm that so I wouldn't think that connections would want to spoil her handicap mark for a mess of beans: today's pot is not bad but she's better than that, imo.

With that in mind, I feel that I have to back her but it will, of course, be ew and I hope that she'll run a sound race with the Autumn in mind. A framer, I would think.

My only other swipe will be on a 3yo taking on older horses in a handicap; a favourite, too. It's not often you'll see me do that but this race is a piddling affair, isn't it?

American Flag - 5.15 Haydock 3/1 Win Unpl

Was left behind by the leaders 2f out but he then made a little late headway late on. Drifted in the market and maybe he needed this,

The fact is this race won't take much winning and owner Nielsen (Stradivarius) knows a good horse when he sees one. The horse is pitched into his first handicap after decent runs in maidens that might suggest he has mark that really might be on the generous side. There's a line with Miramichi through Francesco Clemente and there wouldn't have be much, if any, improvement to go well.

The stable has an excellent record on the course, showing a nice £19+ profit on their 3yo's so I think he's worth a small bet.

2 x singles

Ew Double

Updated 7th August 2022 at 11:31 PM by yorick

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments