View RSS Feed

yorick

Thursday 4th August 2022

Rate this Entry
Symptomic of British racing today: too many meetings, moderate horses, terrible prize money.

I live not far from Yarmouth and am on holiday for another ten days so thought I might treat myself to a day at the races tomorrow. Then I looked at the fields – no chance.

Instead, I’ll have a light go on four; three that I have on my list and one that I had on my list years ago and looks like he might have found an opportunity to win again.

My first pick is one that I had decided to ditch from my list until his last run, when she looked decidedly like he was coming to hand:

Cherry Cola – 3.20 Brighton 25/1 Ew Unpl

I backed her first time up this season where she gave the impression thats he might win a race soon. I backed her for the next five races until I decided that she probably had more ideas than I have and dropped her before her last run at Sandown. As it happens,s he ran out of her skin, I thought, and he looked like she was coming to hand.
She goes over 12f tomorrow and has run over the c/d well before, When I saw thats he is 25/1, I thought that’s just too big. I’ll also take the 20/1 for five places.

I recommend him with a caveat emptor: she’s probably a bit of a mdam - a dodgepot. Lol.

Drifted like the proverbial barge just before the off, reared just before the stalls opened but didn't run too bad a race tbf. Showed she needs 1m6f probably and if she returned to Sandown (wearing some sort of headgear?), A lot of provisos there and no surprise. She's a tricky one, best left alone but that hill at Sandown really suited her.

Next up is one who owes me nowt this term since I’ve backed him once and he won at 20/1 for me:

King Charles – 5.53 Ayr 11/4 Win. Won 11/4

The most telling question about this one is why would Bernard Llewelyn send a horse on a 800 mile round trip from Wales to Ayr, his only runner, and why would his daughter go all that way for just this one ride? They’ve never had a runner at the course in the last five years.

I rest my case.

No more to be said except the it won by virtue of the ride given by Jessica. Well done that woman!

Here’s one that I noted lto when he made quiet progress in the latter stages. That was only five days ago and they waste no time in getting him out again, sitting near the bottom of the weights.

Visibility – 5.40 Doncaster 40/1 Ew Unpl

I don’t know what you think but 40/1 is a price I’m not going to ignore. I’ll also back him @21/1 for 7 places.

This fellow was not going to win anything while the jockey appeared to be taking industrial action - a go-slow, whilst gently nudging his mount gently to the rear of the field. The mark will drop, the distance will increase and then he'll be a betiing proposition again. Given thefact that he 'wasn't on', I'll persevere.

Lastly, do you remember this one, Goughs?:

Takarengo – 8.25 Leopardstown 9/2 Ew 3rd 7/1

We backed him in the 2020 Ces, didn’t we: 50/1 3rd. Well, that was was off an OR of 81 and here he is, sitting on that mark again. He must be worth a go, don’t you think?

So, there you have it. A funny old day’s racing and I won’t push the boat out, stakes wise (I seldom do, anyway, lol).

7/1 third and an excellent run. No complaints at all about the ride given. In fact, the jockey did well to get a place early from the widest draw of all.

4 x singles
Ew L15

Good luck

All in all, a decent day with lots of fun and very little, if any, damage done. The ride on Visibility would be my only grumble but I take that and know that the form can be ignored, the mark will drop, they'll probably put him up to 10f and we'll roll again.

Updated 5th August 2022 at 7:25 PM by yorick

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments