View RSS Feed

Bits and Pieces

Ascot review

Rate this Entry
TUESDAY 15 JUNE

KINGS’S STAND STAKES

ARECIBO was given a bit too much to do by Jamie Spencer. His major effort was 2 - 1 furlongs where he was fastest of all, but he could not sustain this in the final furlong although still third fastest.

KEEP BUSY ran well without being quite good enough on ground that was perhaps quicker than ideal for her. She ran the second fastest final furlong

COVENTRY STAKES

ELDRIKJONES may have gone close to winning with a clear run, finding himself stuck in behind the wilting leaders more down the centre and having to be switched. He finished well and he was running from unfavoured draw.

COPPER HORSE STAKES

DUBIOUS AFFAIR ran well easily doing best of those to race in rear and just failing. She didn’t get the clearest of runs when starting challenge 2 fur out, but she finished strongly and was catching the winner all the time She'd have won in another stride or two.

WEDNESDAY 16 JUNE

QUEEN MARY STAKES

VERTIGINOUS ran a cracker into 5th at 66/1 after a gamble went awry previously at Bath. I doubt she’ll see 66/1 again.

QUEENS VASE

STOWELL given a hold up ride by Frankie and the sectionals show he finished fastest of all over the last 2 furlongs.

DUKE OF CAMBRIDGE STAKES

LADY BOWTHORPE found herself in the lead with 2 furlongs to go which was probably a bit early.

ROYAL HUNT CUP

REAL WORLD gave some performance to spreadeagle the field by over four length from the far side. The near-side was conspicuously faster all day so it’s a performance that can only be better than it looked.

THURSDAY 18 JUNE

NORFOLK STAKES

PROJECT DANTE Only went down by a head and a nose. She had to be ultra patient waiting to get in the clear which didn’t happen until inside final furlong. I suppose it’s a moot point as to whether this was advantageous or disadvantageous, but she certainly finished strongly.

RIBBLESDALE STAKES

DUBAI FOUNTAIN had the run of things until inside the 2 furlong marker, still just about second furlong out she wasn’t given a hard time with the chance gone.

GOLD CUP

STRADIVARIUS was given a rotten ride by Frankie and I’m not writing him off just yet.

BRITANNIA STAKES

DUBAI HONOUR did very well to finish fourth racing on the ill-favoured far side, as did MITHRAS to finish sixth, although quite what Frankie was thinking to take him that do side from a 15 draw I have no idea. Not his finest day in the saddle.

FRIDAY 19 JUNE

The torrential rain turned the going to heavy, although the jockeys said it was easier to get through than expected (possibly due to a sound is happening undersurface). Good horses go through anything it’s said, but I’m not confident about drawing conclusions. Must record one, though.

CORONATION STAKES

SNOW LANTERN ran a super race and would have finished closer in second if she hadn’t lost momentum well inside the final furlong as she was checked.

SATURDAY 19 JUNE

No more rain and soft (heavy in places) going which, by some accounts, was stickier to get through than the previous day’s heavy.

JERSEY STAKES

Reet drew attention to VADREAM in the Noted in Running thread. I think the hold-up king Jamie Spencer gave her quite a lot to do.
She was pretty much last off the bit and didn’t get the clearest of runs when Jamie started winding her up. Be interesting to see the sectionals - I reckon she ran the fastest last 2fur.

I hope I can write off the running of MUTASAABEQ in this - 16th!! for goodness sake.

DIAMOND JUBILEE STAKES

ART POWER I think he got his mojo back in this race and maybe he will get back to his best from here.

WOKINGHAM STAKES

Once again KING’S LYNN didn’t get the clearest of runs when it mattered. This was his last chance before his new handicap kicks in, but I think he can run to it unless he’s bumped more here.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments