View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Thursday 11th April 2024

Much as I enjoy the sight of big National Hunt racing festivals, I think we all know that opening up our wallets to celebrate is one sure-fire shortcut to the booby hatch. Very seldom have the occasions been when I have left the days with a bulging wallet.

Traditionally, I have always borne in mind the Cheltenham hangover effect. It has paid to note that, for many runners, the target has been the Cheltenham festival and many come to Aintree having left their best on the Prestbury ...

Updated 11th April 2024 at 12:09 PM by yorick

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Wednesday 10th April 2024

The golden ball has appeared in the sky over Norwich and the sky is a hazy blue. Never to be trusted as a reliable friend, I expect it to fold away before long. Just a quick blogging before I venture into the garden to potter and plant.

Just one meeting today and nothing I'd want to bet on but there are two chases at Market Rasen that I've had a look at and, just to flex my form study muscles, I 'll share some thoughts on them here. Aintree tomorrow so no harm in keeping my eye in, ...

Updated 10th April 2024 at 9:57 AM by yorick

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Tuesday 9th April 2024

I don't suppose Hereford on a Tuesday afternoon on heavy ground would be likely to keep even the most fervent National Hunt fanatic in any way remotely excited but I thought I'd amuse myself by taking a scan over the two chases on the card. They're both Class 5 and moderate would be too flattering an adjective to hang on either contest. 'Poor' springs to mind. These poor races can be as difficult to solve, if not harder, than top-class handicaps and, certainly, these are a couple of puzzles to ...

Updated 9th April 2024 at 1:42 PM by yorick

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Monday 8th April 2024

Not much going on today, NH - wise. Just Wincanton and paltry is the card regarding chases.

I will have a little on:

Golden Sovereign - 5.08 Wincanton 3/1

I do like these veterans' chases.

I've been keeping my eye on this gelding recently but have to report that he hasn't shown much at all. Subsequently, his mark has dropped by 15Lbs. He wasn't the only horse tharshed by Mr Vango two runs back and I'm hoping that the addition of a tongue-tie ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Sunday 7th April 2024

From the wilds of deepest Norfolk, currently grappling within Kathleen’s wild embrace, I bring you my stormy Sunday nonsense, knowing that as a punter with lots to say, I’ll admit to very little punting acumen. As the old saying goes: ‘Empty vessels make the most noise’ but in writing my blog, I hope that the racket I make will have some resonance with you as I share my punting hopes and frustrations.

Today I’m taking a Quixotic tilt at three unfortunate beasts.

Updated 7th April 2024 at 11:52 AM by yorick

Categories
    Uncategorized