View RSS Feed

Bits and Pieces

Just thoughts from time time.

1. Betting Sabatical

That’s it then, enjoying Madeira for a few weeks and can’t have a bet. I suppose I could try one of those VPN thingummies tan suggested, but it’s all a bit Greek to me and I wouldn’t be comfortable that it would be plain sailing without problem. So a betting sabbatical and concentration on results and building up a database of promising runs, which is a bit late in the day for the real racing and early doors for those effete flattie softies.

Anyway, a lot to look to be looking at ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Brocklesby and more

What with the going and the way the track was riding you’ve got to be a bit circumspect in drawing any firm conclusions, but there’s two I want to take out of the race.

Valadero looked all over the winner into the last furlong, but ran a bit green and faltered allowing the winner to collar him at the death. I don’t think that would happen again.

Old Chums 6th. Raced in the rear and couldn’t have been helped by that bumping up and down style of riding (God, I do hate ...

Updated 2nd April 2023 at 11:06 AM by barjon

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Flat dawn, but don’t forget the Jumps

Flatties rejoice, for today is the dawn. I suppose I must pay attention even though I will draw on the fagend of the jumps season until my lips burn - as, if past experience is a guide, will my betting account if I let it. So better prepare for the summer.

In that regard I am much more interested in the Brocklesby tomorrow than the Lincoln (will have some fun - I hope - with Majestic in that to set Jack Channon up in his new role as head boy). It’s looking to see how the two year ...

Updated 31st March 2023 at 8:40 PM by barjon

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Brentford Hope

Brentford Hope - Remember him? The talk of the heath after his single run as a 2yo at Newmarket and appeared in many a “Horses to Follow” publication as a Classic contender. Didn’t run the next season until July and was a disappointing favourite in a couple of Class 5s after which he paid the price by losing his manhood.

That seemed to make a difference and he ran quite respectably in Class 2 and 3 races, with the odd Class 1 thrown in, winning a couple of times from a dozen tries. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Cheltenham Review

As usual the racing was top rank, but the absolute highlights came at the start and the finish.

Tuesday will live long in the memory. Firstly, it was tremendous to see Constitution Hill slaughter the Champion Hurdle field without even breaking sweat. I remain convinced he is the best jumps horse of my lifetime and I think he stands at the door of greatness. It’s a bit odd that I viewed his performance with a sense of relief more than anything because he did exactly what I was hoping ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized