Blog Comments

Well spotted, very unlucky!
    Well, Lucinda knew what she was doing, El Elefante had just moved marginally into the lead when she fell at the last.

Regent’s Stroll was working hard from two out, but showed plenty of strength in the finish to leave them cold in the last half furlong. It was a good performance.
    Well, Grey Dawning and Teahupoo were nice, but Brighterdaysahead gave it all back to the enemy. Hey ho, on to the next.
    I did get a bet on Ballyburn in the end, courtesy of B365 evens. I think it was the performance of the meeting so far and it’ll need something special to challenge it. Stay Away Fay hugely disappointing, but the market called it and Giovinco ran surprisingly well. Tricky Dan did it again with Langer Dan unfortunately without me.
    Updated 13th March 2024 at 10:54 PM by barjon
    Oops! Not paying attention, hadn’t realised Jonbon taken out. Not surprised, Henderson’s runners have been terrible Luccia aside.
    Updated 13th March 2024 at 5:34 PM by barjon
    Nicely done, BJ. Gaelic Warrior the pick of the day for me. That's a champion Chaser in the making, don't you think? It'll be fascinating to watch El Fabiolo tomorrow.

Thought Nara was unlucky in the 4.50.

Well done again, mate.
    Updated 12th March 2024 at 11:00 PM by yorick
    Blimey, that was a good day with four winners albeit that GW was a cover for JPR One.

Take outs - Mystical Power came over the last looking every inch a winner, but look novicey just getting outstayed. Lot more to come there, I think. Similarly with Lantry Lady who ran very well into fourth for one with so little experience.

Henderson must be a worried man - aside from Luccia who ran a fine third in the CH all his runners were woeful.
    Obviously been a change in plans, since he’s still bumping along. Haven’t seen anything to suggest why.
    So, it's three runs in bumpers runs for Ambion View and entered for a fourth this week. Surely won't run.

This one's game will be chasing, won't it, BJ?
    Well, Benson got things off to a good start, but what an earth happened next . I was right that Panjari (started favourite) would get the better of Williethebuilder (second favourite), but I wasn’t anticipating 7th and 10th! No obvious excuses.

Fidelio Vallis put things right in the next and won without seeming to need the extra weight off his back (didn’t Harry Derham have a good day - three runners, three winners).

Disappointing for Marie’s Rock, but it was good to see Bob Olinger back to his old self.

Joyau Allen looked pretty decent winning the bumper - for what I could see in the gloom anyway - so will keep an eye on that one.

Decent day overall thanks to the support cast.
    Apparently missed the big gamble on Spring Note who toyed with the field having come down from 9/1 overnight to 11/4F. Hauled in front of the stewards the Henderson camp said “he benefitted from the drop in distance” which was noted. “Noted” being code for we believe you, thousands wouldn’t.

Jeriko Du Reponet won as a heavy odds-on shot should and there’s a lot more going to be heard from this one. Jaitroplaclasse had a good experience, but got lost when push came to shove - sights to be lowered?

Steal A March ran respectably, but did indeed need the run. look forward to next time.

God knows what happened to Willmount who disappeared very quickly and if there wasn’t anything amiss put in a dismal performance that does not bode well. Ground maybe? Or not as good as I thought.

Walking On Air was unlucky in his first chasing experience. Shunted across the track by the winner he was switched, losing more ground that he was beaten by. Next time.
    Updated 31st December 2023 at 12:08 AM by barjon
    I hope it’s just the really bad ground but he stopped quickly which is a concern.
    Seemed to have been travelling ok beforehand, jinny?
    Updated 30th December 2023 at 4:33 PM by barjon
    He will be back in three weeks.

Willmount emptied very quickly....ground most likely explanation. Unless wind/bleeding issue,
    Nico De Boinville suffers broken collarbone in Doncaster fall

sportinglife

Nico de Boinville will miss several weeks of action after breaking his collarbone in a fall at Doncaster on Friday.

The 34-year-old was riding 13/8 favourite Therapist for his boss Nicky Henderson in the La-Z-Boy At KC Sofa’s Fillies’ Juvenile Maiden Hurdle when coming to grief at the second-last flight.

It continued a mixed Christmas period for the rider who tasted success aboard his star mount Constitution Hill and hot Triumph Hurdle prospect Sir Gino at Kempton, but was unseated from Shishkin at the second last when leading Boxing Day’s King George VI Chase.

De Boinville confirmed in his Unibet blog on Saturday: "Unfortunately, I took a crunching fall on Therapist at Doncaster on Friday, and I will be out for a while.

"I pretty much knew that it wasn’t a routine departure soon after I hit the deck, and an X-ray this morning confirmed that I had broken my clavicle.

"It’s obviously annoying, with so many of our good horses looking to prove themselves in better races at this time of the year, as at Newbury today, but it’s only a small-scale setback in the grand scheme of things.

"I don’t know exactly how long I will be out for at the moment, but I’ll just have to get my head down and concentrate on the recovery.

"Others are in a far worse spot than me, so I won’t be feeling sorry for myself."
    Inch House still looks to have some in hand.
    Thought it was a dead heat with Jingko Blue and Masaccio, but the win won’t compensate them for the loss of Jeu Des Champs RIP
    Jet Powered disappeared quickly around four out, so question marks remain for him. Not so for North Star who seemed to lose position round the final bend, but finished like a train into third - one to note.
    God knows what happened to Under Control. She faded away to nothing to be last of the finishers. Weak in the market, there must be something wrong?
    Dusart ran nicely for the first circuit and just faded gradually away until pulled up. Not much to be done with him now I would have thought.
    Updated 2nd December 2023 at 5:56 PM by barjon
    The Coral Gold Cup Handicap Chase (Premier Handicap) has always got me really giddy but (perhaps because of the race name) today's renewal just doesn't give me that feeling. Oh for a proper race name. GL with all yours today
    Updated 2nd December 2023 at 1:06 PM by 2017diary
    Well, what did you think? Jeriko Du Reponet breezed in without Nico moving a muscle and despite looking novicey, but doubt there was much there to beat. Need to see some more, really.

Djelo put his experience to good use, but I wonder if we’ll see him beat Persian Time again when (if) the latter’s jumping improves.

Class showed for Hermes Allen, but Nickle Back was clearly at home at this level, which boded well for Kandoo Kid who duly delivered.

Marie’s Rock was disappointing. Henderson seems happy that she stays the 3 miles, but I’m not so sure. Oops, who am I to quarrel with the Master

Hyland ran an ok third, but probably in the grip of the handicapper for now. (EDR would done a tad better if Gavin Sheehan had hung on to his whip )

Let’s hope we get some racing tomorrow and that euro’s nightmare scenario doesn’t come to pass.
    Updated 1st December 2023 at 7:28 PM by barjon
    I tried to get EAST INDIA EXPRESS ready for the Newbury (Goffs Sale) bumper after he won here, however after that he coughed and coughed and for months and I couldn't get him out again. It has taken a bit of work to get him there. He wouldn't show you anything at home and that is why he was probably the second string here last time. He jumped really well. We have all had to work a little bit hard on his jumping and it wasn't the most natural thing to him, but he has got the hang of it the last few weeks and he was very good out there. I went this trip just to give him a little more time to work it out - Nicky Henderson, trainer.
    Aye, the double was fairly skinny, too, but not even the slightest worry.

They both looked very good, didn’t they? I wouldn’t call the jumping of Queens’s Gamble slick, but it was certainly much better than last time and reasonably proficient. Still needs to sharpen it up, though.

East India Express was impressive, I thought and I’ll keep with him - be interested to see what Henderson does with him now.
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast