View RSS Feed

Bits and Pieces

Just thoughts from time time.

1. Goodwood

Been a bit of a mixed bag for me so far. Migration was a good start only for a plunge on Berkshire Shadow to go awry. Similar the next day with Nagano starting things off only for a plunge on Vadream to come unstuck. Pretty miffed that Jamie Spencer didn’t give her a better ride (or is that just money talking).

On to the next and came fairly heavily unstuck with Alfaadhel who ran well, but not well enough, but my tears dried when Lady Bowthorpe powered home.

And so ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Rising Stars

Three horses ran over last week or so with performances that had class stamped all over them. I’ll be surprised if they don’t rake in a few good prizes between them.

Yesterday, in the Class 1 Listed 1m2f at Newbury Real World oozed class. He didn’t get a clear run until just over a furlong out and then put the race to bed in a few strides. The two three year olds dominated decent older horse and Derab is no slouch, but he had absolutely no answer to Real World.

“I ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Thank Goodness.

I was hugely impressed with Mutasaabeq in his opening shot this season and it was no surprise he was supplemented for the 2000 Guineas where he finished a respectable, if undistinguished, seventh and showed he could hold his own in top company.

With that behind him I had a bit of a plunge on him in the Jersey at Royal Ascot and although I can stand losing I was horrified to see him trail in sixteenth, yes sixteenth!

He got his mojo back today, though. I took 2/1 last ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Newmarket Saturday (again)

Well, you’d better believe Mr Ed Impressive performance by Starman and on that showing he looks the cream of the crop. For a minute I thought Art Power might hang, but he ran very well again. I thought I’d be quids in on the race since I’d backed Starman to win and Art Power each way 16/1 to six places. Turned out I’d just backed him to win, too, which was a bit of a bummer. Moral - always check your bets.

At York Ajyall played up a bit in the prelims and looks a difficult character. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Newmarket Saturday

After feast follows famine. Only two trackers at Newmarket for today and both in the one race - the Darley July Cup.

Starman is a worthy favourite after his solid Duke of York win at York. Withdrawn from Ascot’s Diamond Jubilee because of the lousy ground, he has got his ground this time (Can it really be good to firm? They’ve been kicking chunks out of the ground in the races I’ve watched). If Ed Walker is going be believed defeat is out of the question and it’s pretty hard to see ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast