Blog Comments

Alas indeed!

Poor me, eh? Heheh
    Alas poor Yorick.
    Just watched the race and a couple of thoughts:

perhaps, after all, the ground may have ridden too soft and, perhaps more telling, it looks to me that some eye-wear might help this one. He does travel and jump nicely but seems to find little when asked.

Lastly, I should mention the breeding, which points to marathon trips. So, little lost with my small interest, although it would be nice to register a winner now and again lol.
    And you, mister.

I see the rain continues to fall. Heavy come the first race, eh?
    Good luck mate.
    Cheers, mate. Yeah, he toughed it out after losing his place before the Pond Fence, didn't he.

H de G ran a lovely race, too. Not the best jumper but loves that hill.

Good day's sport. (except from Palace conceding late - AGAIN! Grrrr)
    WD with ROA, that was a game win
    Cheers.

Nice to get a winner and to be honest, Salamanca pissed it, didn't he.

Surprised Mums Tipple ran so poorly, mind.

Not sure the ground's soft enough for Hudson.
    Good start mate and a good 6th with goonhilly.
    Don’t think you can trust anything that happened at Newcastle or Chepstow. The going was pretty bad and most couldn’t cope with it or got very, very tired.
    Yes, it's Saturday and an opportunity to watch some proper horses in some proper races.

This does mean that, as usual, we are presented with a raft of imponderables to consider. I have to say that any winners today will be seen as a bonus; you've been warned. The main point will be watch and learn. Cheltenham's round the corner and we'll need to bear in mind who is running a trial and those that have the heat turned on for today. So, a successful day for me will be any winners plus those that may be worthy of a notebook entry.

Two short-priced favs to start.

Apple Away - 1.05 Asc - 15/8 Win

This one is high up in my chasers folio, will go the distance, jumps very well; looks a natural. Outdone over 3m lto against another really smart one, the mare will have a great chance here and is in receipt of the 7Lbs mare's allowance, which must help.
    Ran and jumped well but I'm disappointed. He's entered for the NH Chase (3m 5f) and Brown's Advisory (3m). I have accept that he stays ok although it idn't look like it here. Another thought: off his current 141 OR, he could be one for handicaps?

L'Homme Presse 3.36 Asc 5/4 Win

Check out the time of this one's last win on soft going: 2 secs faster than average; that is a seriously decent time which was helped by the front-running Protektorat. I should think pace will not be a problem here with more than one in the field having made all before. Given that, I'm hoping that L'Homme Presse can win again.

Disappointed again. Was staying on a little but I'm not sure he liked the course.

2 x win singles
    Win double

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of long priced ew's next:

Full back - Hay 3.15 20/1 Ew

No show and another well lacklustre run. Ho hum.

An odd one this. Came down lto in L'Homme Presse's race but I thought he seemed to be going quite well at the time. It's a shame that he didn't stay on his feet on that run since it would have benefitted him after more than a a year off. Still, they're up to 3.5m today, a trip that will suit and I am heartened by the booking of Coilin Quinn, my current favourite claiming jockey. Although I tend to ignore allowances when studying form, his 3Lb claim is a real bonus, given the boy's ability.

Hurricane Harvey - Ascot 4.10 22/1
    I took note of lovely late headway in HH's last race and was very surprised when I saw his price for this. Top weight, I know but I can't resist including him today.

Eye equipment needed for this one: on and off the bridal, ran in snatches and needs something to help him concentrate. At least he'll go down 2-3 Lbs for this.

A couple more 'fancies':

Shan Blue - Ascot 3.00 4/1 Ew Jumped beautifully. I'd be happy to see him ridden up with the pace rather than making it.

I do remember Shan Blue going 20L clear and cruising before falling three out in the 21 running of the Charlie Hall at Wetherby (ouch!). It's been a long way back for this fellow but there is hope that this last run gave notice of some sort of return to form. At his peak, he'd pick these up and carry them so I'm tempted to have a go.

Individualiste - Winc 3.07 7/1 Ew
    I'm probably wrong but I don't think this race will take much winning and fancy Individualiste to go close on his chase debut.

Looks like a monkey, I'm afraid.

Lastly, in a trappy h/cap chase at Wincanton, I'll have a sporting bet on:

Samuel Jackson - 4.17 Winc Ew 21/2 for 5 places.

Jumped ok and made the running but nowhere near once the others swamped him. Oh well
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, as I might have predicted, a rotter - not a single winner. Ouch! :|
    Yes, it's Saturday and an opportunity to watch some proper horses in some proper races.

This does mean that, as usual, we are presented with a raft of imponderables to consider. I have to say that any winners today will be seen as a bonus; you've been warned. The main point will be watch and learn. Cheltenham's round the corner and we'll need to bear in mind who is running a trial and those that have the heat turned on for today. So, a successful day for me will be any winners plus those that may be worthy of a notebook entry.

Two short-priced favs to start.

Apple Away - 1.05 Asc - 15/8 Win

This one is high up in my chasers folio, will go the distance, jumps very well; looks a natural. Outdone over 3m lto against another really smart one, the mare will have a great chance here and is in receipt of the 7Lbs mare's allowance, which must help. Ran and jumped well but I'm disappointed. He's entered for the NH Chase (3m 5f) and Brown's Advisory (3m). I have accept that he stays ok although it idn't look like it here. Another thought: off his current 141 OR, he could be one for handicaps?

L'Homme Presse 3.36 Asc 5/4 Win

Check out the time of this one's last win on soft going: 2 secs faster than average; that is a seriously decent time which was helped by the front-running Protektorat. I should think pace will not be a problem here with more than one in the field having made all before. Given that, I'm hoping that L'Homme Presse can win again. Disappointed again. Was staying on a little but I'm not sure he liked the course.

2 x win singles
    Win double

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of long priced ew's next:

Full back - Hay 3.15 20/1 Ew No show and another well lacklustre run. Ho hum.

An odd one this. Came down lto in L'Homme Presse's race but I thought he seemed to be going quite well at the time. It's a shame that he didn't stay on his feet on that run since it would have benefitted him after more than a a year off. Still, they're up to 3.5m today, a trip that will suit and I am heartened by the booking of Coilin Quinn, my current favourite claiming jockey. Although I tend to ignore allowances when studying form, his 3Lb claim is a real bonus, given the boy's ability.

Hurricane Harvey - Ascot 4.10 22/1 Ew Eye equipment needed for this one: on and off the bridai, ran in snatches and needs something to help him concentrate. At least he'll go down 2-3 Lbs for this.

I took note of lovely late headway in HH's last race and was very surprised when I saw his price for this. Top weight, I know but I can't resist including him today.

2 x Ew singles
    Ew double

A couple more 'fancies':

Shan Blue - Ascot 3.00 4/1 Ew Jumped beautifully. I'd be happy to see him ridden up with the pace rather than making it.

I do remember Shan Blue going 20L clear and cruising before falling three out in the 21 running of the Charlie Hall at Wetherby (ouch!). It's been a long way back for this fellow but there is hope that this last run gave notice of some sort of return to form. At his peak, he'd pick these up and carry them so I'm tempted to have a go.

Individualiste - Winc 3.07 7/1 Ew Looks like a monkey, I'm afraid.

I'm probably wrong but I don't think this race will take much winning and fancy Individualiste to go close on his chase debut.

2 x Ew Singles
    Ew double.

Lastly, in a trappy h/cap chase at Wincanton, I'll have a sporting bet on:

Samuel Jackson - 4.17 Winc Ew 21/2 for 5 places. Jumped ok and made the running but nowhere near once the others swamped him. Oh well.

Good luck, my friends.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, as I might have predicted, a rotter - not a single winner. Ouch! :|
    Ugh!

I'm very disappointed with that. Although she's won top races over 3m over hurdles, it looked like she didn't stay. However, connections seem to believe that she wants it.

Another thought: given her mark of 141, I wonder whether a h/cap might be in the offing.

Another point: she's entered up twice at Cheltenhem: the 3m 5f National Hunt and the 3m Browns Advisory.

Hmmm....
    I was wondering if Haveyoumissedme might need a return to 12f but this race confirmed that he'll benefit from returning to 2m.
    Not to be for Bennybaloo there due, in no small part I would guess, to the going changing from g/sft to soft: this fellow wants better ground in my opinion.

I'm pleased, at least, That I didn't go hell for leather with my stake. As I wrote above, I was only loosening the purse strings a little.
    Updated 6th February 2024 at 11:30 PM by yorick
    Yup, racing 's so good at making us look foolish, eh?

Pourquoi, too, gave me lashings of egg on face.

It never ends but one mustn't imagine that we become useless overnight.

No, I've become useless after years of practice haha.
    I had to have a little laugh with the veterans race.
    You picked cepage and I did cyclops and they were both tailed off straight away.
    We do know what we're doing dont we?
    All listed by time to make it easier too, GL today
    Ooh! Close! A much improved performance after the charade of the last run, but I was disappointed after he looked like the winner over the last two fences.

Still, a small profit and his jumping and breeding suggest a bigger staying (marathon?) h/cap may well be possible, don't you think?
    Unlucky! GL with the others
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast