Two Good Ones?

barjon

Conditional
Henderson often gives his top bumpers their first hurdle experience at Kempton and he runs East India Express there today. Bolted up on his only bumper run here last February (which surprised Henderson because they fancied their other runner with Nico up) then succumbed to the cough, took a long time to get over it and didn’t run again. Probably not worth a bet since likely odds-on, but it’ll be an informative outing.

Oliver Sherwood took Queen’s Gamble with him when he joined Harry Derham and after an exciting bumper time she won her debut hurdle having to work a bit harder than was expected from 2/13 shot. She had run green, though. Harry Derham says she is not fully wound up and she won’t be too happy if the ground doesn’t match the “good” description, but it’s a run that will be informative. Like the first one, she’ll likely be odds-on.

Aye, the double was fairly skinny, too, but not even the slightest worry.

They both looked very good, didn’t they? I wouldn’t call the jumping of Queens’s Gamble slick, but it was certainly much better than last time and reasonably proficient. Still needs to sharpen it up, though.

East India Express was impressive, I thought and I’ll keep with him - be interested to see what Henderson does with him now.

I tried to get EAST INDIA EXPRESS ready for the Newbury (Goffs Sale) bumper after he won here, however after that he coughed and coughed and for months and I couldn't get him out again. It has taken a bit of work to get him there. He wouldn't show you anything at home and that is why he was probably the second string here last time. He jumped really well. We have all had to work a little bit hard on his jumping and it wasn't the most natural thing to him, but he has got the hang of it the last few weeks and he was very good out there. I went this trip just to give him a little more time to work it out - Nicky Henderson, trainer.

Back