Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Racing Post new site.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Shi*t.

Box.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 12th September 2017 at 4:18 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I've just seen a tweet from them.

I'm glad I cancelled my membership.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 875 Posts
    No results today?

12 Sep at 7:18 PM

To

help@racingpost.com

Message body
    Have you finally gone under - should I cancel my subscription?

Ben Walton (Racing Post)

Sep 12, 19:53
    Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, we are experiencing technical problems with the availability of today's racing results through our website.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your ongoing patience whilst we work to fix the issues.

Pathetic, as is their whole IT dept.
    Last edited by reet hard; 13th September 2017 at 6:04 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The rot starts at the top, with their utter buffoon of an Editor.

A shabby excuse for a trade-paper, and exactly the kind of shi*tty service you can expect, when one company holds a monopoly position.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    The rot starts at the top, with their utter buffoon of an Editor.

A shabby excuse for a trade-paper, and exactly the kind of shi*tty service you can expect, when one company holds a monopoly position.
    I don't read the paper often enough to agree entirely but the Weekender is only half the paper it could be and I blame the editor for that. I've had exchanges of email with him and I genuinely believe he doesn't understand horse racing.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    There are so many other good sources of information around now that it is easily avoidable

I never buy but can see what a rag it has turned into
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    ..........and I read they charge three pound a time, scandalous price to pay for bookmaker adverts.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    They re-designed an entire site to fit more bookies ads in.... And expect customers to enjoy it... They have lost it. I really used to like the RP but its gone to sh1t completely. Unfortunately, it doesn't help the sport as a whole either.
    I'm clever enough to ask the questions i'm too stupid to answer

Thanks
    Just looked up the result of the Kerry National; and the RP informs me - every horse finished nowhere.
    ******* priceless!

Thanks
    Racingpost

the new phormat has some improvements but in general is worse than previous one

about the level
    it is simply the best web about horse racing by miles
    some people would want it free but in life you have to pay for things
    i can not see anyone checking the form seriously about irish and british racing and doing it with another web

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    I use a combination of Irish Racing and Attherraces Aragorn. Neither is as good as the Racing Post database, but the interface on each is infinitely better. And neither make me feel like throwing the laptop or iPad into the nearest bin.
    I responded to a BHA thing nearly 10 years ago about the threats to racing (in the wake of racing for change) and identified the RP database as the single biggest asset/ threat facing the sport, and suggested that the BHA needed to either partner with the Post or buy it off Trinity Mirror

I've obviously lost interest in the sport now, and to be honest, I really don't miss it, but the RP charging a creeping subscription for a product that was taking absolutely ages to load was probably the single biggest factor in me turning my back on racing. I'm not sure the administrators at the BHA ever fully appreciated the soft value that the database brought. Punters armed with accessible information at their fingers are much more likely to engage than any initiative, gimmicky campaign, or well financed consultants strategy report. One of the reasons American racing has taken such a hit was that the data providers were charging too much.

The French used to have the best approach and that was to make as much as they could freely available (got a feeling that France Galop started charging eventually though?). I used to use France Galop at work though as being in French it beat the corporate firewall - suckers!
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    I gave up my membership a few years ago when they cancelled the race replays I was paying just out of pure laziness really to have everything in the same place. I've only just come back after a break and have to agree with the general consensus that the new site is an utter bag of bollocks !

Dont understand why anyone would go for the ultimate package anyway charging what? an extra ton a year is it ? For what ? Oh thats right there top team of tipsters, jesus wept !
    Last edited by Danny; 14th September 2017 at 7:12 AM.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sunybay View Post
    Racingpost

the new phormat has some improvements but in general is worse than previous one

about the level
    it is simply the best web about horse racing by miles
    some people would want it free but in life you have to pay for things
    i can not see anyone checking the form seriously about irish and british racing and doing it with another web
    I didn't have a problem paying the subscription as there were a lot of aspects of the site I liked and used extensively but there were persistent issues which didn't just worsen with the new site, they became drastically worse.

I actually don't see anything better about the new site but that might be because since I cancelled my subscription there are areas I can't access.

I am not and at my stage in life never could be the type to study online. I like getting the paper version in my hand and annotating it. If I couldn't do that I'd just give up completely.

Thanks
    Without the replays their only value was the RP rating data which was useful but can live without given their website accessibility. Everything moved to APIs nowadays but I have a feeling it'll take RP 10 years for that.

Even with the race replays it didn't made sense to charge so much. At the races have free replays and apparently also sectional analysis in minutes after the race ended: https://twitter.com/AtTheRaces/statu...62022779686918
    Last edited by Aughex; 14th September 2017 at 9:57 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    The French used to have the best approach and that was to make as much as they could freely available (got a feeling that France Galop started charging eventually though?). I used to use France Galop at work though as being in French it beat the corporate firewall - suckers!
    France-Galop site still FOC, Warbler.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I don't read the paper often enough to agree entirely but the Weekender is only half the paper it could be and I blame the editor for that. I've had exchanges of email with him and I genuinely believe he doesn't understand horse racing.
    As if to underline my point, this week's edition persists with an issue that has nagged me for a few years now and, again, there seems little insight on the part of the editor.

On the front page of The Weekender, the Autumn Double gets a mention. Tom Segal's column deals with it. Paul Kealy does an ante-post feature on the Cesarewitch.

Do we get a sight of the field with the weights? No.

I would be tempted to have a go at the double but it's too much bother trying to find the field in a format that allows me to study effectively. To do so I need the race reference numbers. I'd get that if they published the field in the usual format but they don't.

No doubt if I questioned this by email I'd get the usual shite about pressure on space etc. OK, so advertisers pay, presumably through the nose, for space in the paper and they fund its publication. But in the first half of the paper every page has photographs, some of which are unnecessarily big. The front page itself is one big picture. Half of Charlie Hills's two-page spread is made up of pictures and a RP App ad. Only half of Paul Kealy's two-page spread is made up text.

Any pressure on space is down to editorial decisions.

If they want to promote racing - and I'd argue that the Autumn Double should be talked up more than it is - they're heading in the wrong direction.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 30th September 2017 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks
    Is it just me or have racing post done a deal to get race replays back ? This was the reason I cancelled my membership a couple of years ago. I know to most it won't be a big issue as you can watch race replays for free on Bet365 archive, RUK, ATR etc and probably some other places but for me I used to think it was worth a couple of hundred a year just to have everything in the same place. Whatever you think of RP's package this has to be the only positive thing they've done for a while.

Thanks
    I noticed that yesterday Danny.

The form offers the video links to full race or closing stages. It is useful to have a combination of ATR and RUK replays all in one place but as you have to pay (£26 per month), and the ATR replays are free and I have RUK (£10 p.m) for live TV & replays + iPad newspaper (£30 p.m) for the paper & analysis, I'll pass but otherwise I suppose I'd be tempted.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    I noticed that yesterday Danny.

The form offers the video links to full race or closing stages. It is useful to have a combination of ATR and RUK replays all in one place but as you have to pay (£26 per month), and the ATR replays are free and I have RUK (£10 p.m) for live TV & replays + iPad newspaper (£30 p.m) for the paper & analysis, I'll pass but otherwise I suppose I'd be tempted.
    ???
    They're all free on the SL website.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

Danny (30th November 2017)

Thanks
    I didn't know thanks reet I've had a 18 months out so I'm all over the place atm, will check that out. Never really used their site much