Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The importance of half-decent grammar?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    Am not referring to anyone on here,but there's nothing worse than seeing these pompous twats like you see on betfair pulling up someone who obviously isn't great with the written word and presuming they have some intellectual superiority over them,you usually find ot;'s the same people doing it over and over again right wankers..
    Think also you could easily put off somone posting that might not have had a great eductation, but could be brilliant around a certain topic,then you get these types putting them off really gets my back up especially when you see the person is intimidated then won't post..
    Last edited by gigilo; 12th April 2018 at 4:38 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Phillips View Post
    Gigs, I would agree that on a forum such as this content is more important than correct spelling and punctuation but sometimes what is written can be ambiguous or perhaps misunderstood. I think your posts would be much improved if you proof-read them. This is only my opinion, of course.

Not suggesting that your form analysis and tipping would improve, I wouldn’t dare.

Must say I’m rather surprised that certain keys on your keyboard haven’t waved the white flag.
    I agree but usually I rush writing them out and when I reread them at a later date I can see it looks a mish mash,like I said got an A levelin English language the strange thing is as I've got older I've just seemed to care less and less about correcting things,probably something to do with just what I do for a living and rushing everything,because when I do form and price up i'm much more methodical and thorough..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gigilo View Post
    I agree but usually I rush writing them out and when I reread them at a later date I can see it looks a mish mash,like I said got an A levelin English language the strange thing is as I've got older I've just seemed to care less and less about correcting things,probably something to do with just what I do for a living and rushing everything,because when I do form and price up i'm much more methodical and thorough.Those keys are there to irritate the trolls they are always there as shown lately,so will always be renewable...

Thanks
    Gigilo, Colin Phillips is quite here, writing as correctly as one can surely helps in not being misunderstood. To cause a senseless argument because of a poorly written comment is just not on for me. However, your remark that there are more important things in life is absolutely correct. It's just that to be clear when making a statement or case helps a hell of a lot in preventing senseless bust-ups on a forum, surely? Btw, your A-level in English language is certainly better than what I achieved, as far as I can remember! I won't talk about horseracing form analysis, seems I'm pretty mediocre at that too!
    Last edited by Bolero; 12th April 2018 at 4:57 PM.

Thanks
    I was mainly referring to people who go out of their way to pull people up on what they have written just to feel superior,in all probability they are the ones who are inferior,i agreed with colin about my write ups but as I said they are just form related and most of the time I don't really want to write anything so just get on here as quick as possible and push something out..

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    It all depends on the context, though, gigilo.

On a forum like this it's easy to make allowances (no patronising intended) but where accuracy of communication is important then grammar and spelling are crucial.

My own view is that if I'm in a position to write correctly and accurately then I'm morally bound to do so, as a way of doing my bit to set a positive example.

If that pisses people off, it's something I have to live with. I can curse and swear with the best of them but tend only to do so for (usually comic) effect. Same with poor grammar and spelling.

On Sundays I read aloud in church. I often wonder if the people I chat to outside after the service wonder why I talk like Rab C Nesbitt in general conversation yet from the lectern I sound like a TV documentary narrator.
    I have heard up speak on numerous occasions. You sound more like Kirsty Wark than Rab C Nesbitt.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    I tailor how I speak depending on my company. I must have been trying to impress you
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    I haven't bought the Timeform annuals for several years so can't comment on any decline in standards; but their longer essays were a joy to read and were notable grammatically for the not infrequent use of the em-dash, which is rarely seen now, having largely been replaced by parentheses or the en-dash

I appreciate prose with correct grammar and punctuation because I was taught the accepted rules at er...Grammar School; but, like language, the written word is constantly changing and evolving so I don't get too hung up about what I perceive to be grating syntax and the use of commas to separate clauses rather than semi-colons

The effect on the reader of the contents is what really matters, not how the words are bundled together; though if they are exquisitely constructed the impact is likely to be greater

The boy done great

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drone For This Useful Post:

Bolero (13th April 2018), Danny (13th April 2018), Grasshopper (13th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can confirm that the grammatical quality of 'Chasers & Hurdlers' is still well within the acceptable range, and the content of the essays are still a joy to read.

'Racehorses' is probably shite though.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Love the new tag line Grass
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.