Thread: The Wow Factor

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The Wow Factor

Mendelssohn..almost Secretariat like.......great performance

Don't be shy if you disagree or to add one that gives you that spine tingling feeling.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    I was impressed but not so much after the later races. Huge track bias - will treat with caution.

Thanks
    I'm not a flat aficionado at all, but the distance he won by and the time "smashing" the track record, I was massively impressed!

Thanks
    it's meydan. take it with a large pinch.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    I was impressed but not so much after the later races. Huge track bias - will treat with caution.
    Some track bias, that cedes a horse an 18l+ margin. Care to elaborate, Euro?
    Last edited by reet hard; 1st April 2018 at 1:13 AM.

Thanks
    I'm not saying he wasn't impressive, but Thunder Snow winning the big race the way he did has me doubting the meeting as a whole. And how often does solid looking Meydan form translate to bigger races in May onwards.

Thanks
    A quick spine tingle for me was Snow Fairy winning the Oaks in 2010

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I read an article the other day (Racing Post?) in which the columnist advocated ripping up the surface and starting again. I can't remember whether he was talking about Meydan or somewhere else but it was to do with front-racing bias.

While the bias will exaggerate certain aspects of a performance surely it wouldn't solely account for a very wide-margin performance?

Does anyone know if there was any 'intelligence with hindsight' in Secretariat's extraordinary wide-margin win in his pomp?

At the same time, it's hard to imagine that St Aidan of Ballydoyle would have sent over his very best Guineas/Derby prospect so I'm left wondering what kind of fvckin beast(s) must he have at home?
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    After his Breeders Cup win Mendelssohn became a Kentucky Derby prospect rather than a Guineas/Epsom one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I read an article the other day (Racing Post?) in which the columnist advocated ripping up the surface and starting again. I can't remember whether he was talking about Meydan or somewhere else but it was to do with front-racing bias.

While the bias will exaggerate certain aspects of a performance surely it wouldn't solely account for a very wide-margin performance?

Does anyone know if there was any 'intelligence with hindsight' in Secretariat's extraordinary wide-margin win in his pomp?

At the same time, it's hard to imagine that St Aidan of Ballydoyle would have sent over his very best Guineas/Derby prospect so I'm left wondering what kind of fvckin beast(s) must he have at home?
    Never seen any practical reason for "front racing bias" myself. York's reputed to have it, (though that's probably a throwback to the 'joggers path' days) but it's baloney, in practice.
    Fair enough, kick back, or a tight track, confers an advantage to the prominent racer, but the only conceivable assistance Ryan Moore had yesterday was the clock in his own head, and Mendelssohn's margin owes more to others' ineptitude than to perceived superiority, and the whole field raced on the same ground and over the same terrain.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What about Mendelssohn going Meydan, Churchill Downs,Epsom ?
    Bold Arrangement nearly won a Kentucky Derby before returning to Epsom; Dr Devious won the second leg having been Stateside.
    Mendelssohn has the tactical speed, stamina should not be a problem and such a cv would make him a dream sire should it come off.
    Orby won 3 Derbies even if the first was the Baldoyle Plate (Derby)
    Mendy could possibly win four (Curragh flat p2p spectacular added )