Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Aintree 2018

Thanks
    Racing Post
    @RacingPost
    16m16 minutes ago
    Footpad will not be appearing at Aintree this week, trainer Willie Mullins has reported, last month's Racing Post Arkle winner having not scoped 100 per cent clean.
    lol

Thanks
    and there goes the best novice down to run at the meeting

disappointing but probably more hepful to wpm with trainers title at home in mind

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Anyone know if this meeting has the fantastic 48-hour decs or the archaic shitey 24-hour ones?
    24 hour decs unfortunately Maurice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maruco For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (9th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thursday thoughts:

Footpad out means the Manifesto is a tidy betting heat PM, Brain Power and Cyrname head the market and they are all worth taking on.

Kalondra appeals at 12s. He missed Cheltenham because of the ground which was probably a mistake. He goes on Cheltenham soft (beat Coo Star Sivola giving him 5lbs on it)

as other horses (Balko) who wouldn't elsewhere do. I think Cheltenham is like Ascot in that horses who would struggle on soft at places like Haydock and Sandown can act on

I think Cheltenham is like Ascot in that horses who would struggle on soft at places like Haydock and Sandown can act on

it so I can forgive him his poor run in the Scilly Isles. The Manifesto is full of dodge pots.

I wanted more rain for BDM in the Bowl but the track will suit and if Might Bite isn't over his Gold Cup run he could pick up the pieces.

Not involved in the Aintree Hurdle but the Red Rum looks a tidy event. I will dutch Bun Doran and King's Socks if they turn up.
    Last edited by Euronymous; 9th April 2018 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks
    I reckon they'll reroute Brain Power now to to the 2M event on Saturday.

Thanks
    Would seem sensible. Petit Mouchoir has never looked like he wants further that 2m either.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    You're both right

Thanks

Thanks
    Just thought I'd post a couple of my interests for Aintree.

First of all one Grass flagged up for the Byrne plate Kings socks is down to run in the Red Rum Chase on day one. He holds 3 entries at the meeting one in a handicap hurdle where his mark is a few pounds higher so I'd think that a strange move tbh seen as he jumped his fences o.k at the festival. Another entry in the Melling Chase which again would be a strange move when the horse is rated 140. So I've took a bit of a chance and had quite a heavy investment on him for the Red rum Chase literally on a prayer that he turns up. Currently 10/1 with 365 and I think that's massive as if lining up I can't really see that he won't go off favourite. He was absolutely tanking turning in at Cheltenham and just didn't seem to get home over 2m5f in heavy ground. Looking at his form in France his wins actually came over shorter trips so I think the drop back here would suit. The only concern I'd have is that Cheltenham may have left its mark but that would be a general concern about anything from that meet. The fact it was probably his first proper run of the campaign ( his other start merely a sighter) I'm hopeful he's going to be fresh enough to hold his form. Quite a lot of the others at the front end of the market are those that came from the Grand Annual. I'm half thinking Bar Le prezien who won there aren't many I'd be scared of and I have a feeling that with Altior out of the Melling that Nicholls may fancy switching him to that race providing the ground isn't too soft here. Even if turning up he'd have a hard job on his hands conceding 17lb to the selection. The Grand annual fell apart a bit as a race Gino trail did brilliantly off the front end all things considered but he'd be one tough horse if after that mighty effort he could do it from the front here. If Kings socks turns up and stands up he must go very close. I won't lie I have quite a hefty investment in him and have included him in a fair few multiples so if he doesn't turn up I might need his socks to dry my eyes

In the Topham I'm going to be prepared to take a chance on a horse that before the season kicked off I'd have thought had reached his limit. Art Mauresque igenerally a 20/1 shot has impressed me no end in his last 2 starts. He's been involved in 2 very rapid races around Kempton. The first he went down to Waiting Patiently which doesn't look at all bad now considering the terms he was on. The second in what used to be the Racing Post Chase. In that race they have gone far too quick off the front end judging by the fact the first and second came from a mile back. Art Maresque who was on the pace throughout and even came through to press it even further turning for home had most of his rivals in trouble 2 out eventually faded but not all that badly finishing a respectable 4th. I think dropping back in trip here should suit and he'll certainly be tough to beat. I watched his jumping when behind Waiting Patiently and for 90% of the race he was putting up the finest round of jumping you'd see albeit sometimes going a little to the left on one occasion he stood off one a mile and on another he just put in one that was a bit close for comfort so it may be one where you hold your breath at every flight tbh. Handicap wise though I think he has a win in him and he's a fair price to complete. Dropping back in trip and going back left handed will both be positive I think and if he can jump anything like he did around Kempton over Christmas he'll be tough to beat I think.

I haven't had a single wager as I think its possible we might see a better price or similar on the day with no Ante-post risk and possibly better place terms but I couldn't resist throwing him in a couple of multi's early.

In the Melling I really want to oppose the front 2 in the market Min and Politilogue but until the final decs I'm not sure what with but If Le prezien does switch here I've already struck a smaller bet at a big price so I may leave it at that.

That's my lot so far I'll probably wait until the day as this isn't really a meeting for the Ante-post attack. Hopefully Kings socks turns up and gets me off to a flyer.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (9th April 2018), Outsider (10th April 2018)

Thanks
    Buveir Dair out, bad trachea wash.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggers1972 For This Useful Post:

Diamond Geezer (9th April 2018)

Thanks

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Danny (9th April 2018), Desert Orchid (9th April 2018), edgt (9th April 2018), Grey (9th April 2018), Outsider (10th April 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Would have loved Douvan to have run in the Melling but wpm says he's going for the BS Champion Chase

That 7/4 looks very tempting as Min wont run and Great Field would need to betting 2 stone plus to get near him

Min could find life difficult in the Melling..Politilogue is probably a better horse at 2m4f and if Top Notch were to bounce back I reckon he'd beat them both
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Anyone know if this meeting has the fantastic 48-hour decs or the archaic shitey 24-hour ones?
    Thats a good question.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kings socks for the red rum hcap chase. 10/1?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Min could find life difficult in the Melling..Politilogue is probably a better horse at 2m4f
    Which bit of Politologue's form is it that you think makes him a better horse at 2m4f. His RPR's at both distances are as follows:

2m: 160, 167, 167, 167, 167, 161
    2m4f: 149, 153, 158, 148, 154

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Diakali is a big price at 50/1 (Victor) in the Aintree Hurdle.

Was only beaten 1/4L by TNO in this a few years back, and is lightly-raced after a series of setbacks since. He will be fresh going into this, against horses who - in the main - had hard enough races at Cheltenham, and where none of the principles is in what you'd call stellar-form. Diakali was a decent horse at one time, and if he does retain his ability, Moore is just the type of trainer to extract it from him. I think he is a great each-way price.

Edit: Note that Diakali also holds the Alder Hay handicap hurdle entry, though if he's ready to win that off top-weight, he is probably also ready to run for a hundred-grand more in the Grade 1.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 10th April 2018 at 9:30 AM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Redicean a NR in the 4 yo Juvenile Hurdle Thursday, didn't work very well this AM

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    Which bit of Politologue's form is it that you think makes him a better horse at 2m4f. His RPR's at both distances are as follows:

2m: 160, 167, 167, 167, 167, 161
    2m4f: 149, 153, 158, 148, 154
    He's always looked like a keen type that is best at the minimum trip to me.

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Buveur not running and prob wont at Punch either

For a horse that has won 2 champ hurdles, he has been minded like no other in terms of his racing
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    48 hr decs for Betway Bowl