Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Fine post Art
    Agreed.

Thanks
    The older I get the better I was.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to archie For This Useful Post:

swedish chef (26th March 2018)

Thanks
    I think Willie makes a very good point. I think we'd all agree that prize money is an issue in the UK, but the observation about the percentage of novice and juvenile hurdles, and bumpers, compared to handicaps is a very good one.

What he misses however is the buying power of owners. Yes, success goes hand in glove with buying power, but nevertheless Owners are increasingly spending more money on Irish based horses.

What surprises me is that more trainers don't have satellite operations over in France, as Nick Williams has done for example. UK and Irish raids over there are infrequent, yet day to day French prize money easily eclipses that in both Ireland and the U.K, and we still hear complaint about programme and prize money.

If and when I go back in to ownership, it would be an attractive proposition to have a young horse in France during its novice season before bringing it over here if it can cut the mustard. I would however prefer to have said horse with a trainer that operates both in France and the U.K.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    What he misses however is the buying power of owners. Yes, success goes hand in glove with buying power, but nevertheless Owners are increasingly spending more money on Irish based horses.
    I understand what you mean but I think it's a bit of an over-simplification.

While 2 of the biggest owners, in Gigginstown and McManus, are Irish, Ricci, Wylie and Sullivan aren't but choose to have horses trained and active in Ireland because of the higher prize-money and lower training fees. It's a little chicken and egg but it was certainly part of my decision to try Supreme. After 22 runs since the start of this NH season (none in handicaps!), 'my' horses have picked up prize-money of over £1000 on 17 occasions to a total in excess of £130k. While it's still hard to make a profit without spending big bucks (I think that my most expensive horse was £80k), it certainly helps that we have a sporting chance of at least winning race-day expenses.

I agree about the France situation but transport is so expensive and the best trainers like to be properly in charge so would not be keen on a satellite yard. It's noticeable how performances of Willie's horses dip after he's away from the yard for more than a few days. He's a master of producing them at their peak and you can't do that remotely.
    Last edited by archie; 25th March 2018 at 10:31 AM.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    It has been highlighted too that Willie has been outbid in France for around 2 seasons now and he has had to buy horses with potential for lower amounts as a result.

UK has plenty of expensive horses both from France and Irish points but for whatever reason they haven't made an impact.

I was told Willie paid 200k for Blackbow from the UK point scene who looks a proper talent. The same horse from the Irish scene would be 350.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    And yet today at Ascot, where there were hundreds of young children in attendance but luckily none in the vicinity at the time, some women near me who had backed Beau Bay in the 3.45, literally cheered as Diego Du Charmil started to go down on landing and then laughed hysterically when he hit the deck and Frost came off. I literally had to restrain myself from going over and slapping them. So welfare obviously at the forefront of their minds (term used loosely) when watching the racing. On walking back along the horse walk came across a distressed older lady, who turned out to be the owner's mother, who didn't know at that point if horse and rider were okay as she had missed the picture put up on the big screen and had no idea of the situation with regard to both. Boy how I had screamed at Bridget to get up on Ashoka.