Thread: "Stride Data"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts

"Stride Data"

I came across this when looking through the ATR site last night.

http://www.attheraces.com/news/2018/...attheraces.com

I just wondered if anyone was in the habit of using it and if so what opinion they had of it.

I'm pretty sure it's the kind of thing I'd be interested in once/if it's extended - I hate the management-speak term "rolled out" - to turf racing and maybe even NH racing.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I’d rather know a horse’s weight when it gets to the track.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I’d rather know a horse’s weight when it gets to the track.
    Me too, and I'd rather have Lionel Messi in the Celtic team than Scott Sinclair...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Point is, a horse's stride length is inevitably tied to its level of fitness, insofar as its application to a race assessment is concerned. The stride data (along with all the other data-points) is rendered pretty-much irrelevant, if the horse arrives to the track unfit/over-weight.

I'm very-much an advocate of the more info the better, and I'm not glibly dismissing its value......but stride-data, wind-op data, head-gear data - you name it. - they're all dependent on the critical element of fitness-level, before their relevance can be considered genuinely meaningful, imo.

Determining a horses fitness level is the missing piece of the puzzle for punters, because everything else flows from that. Paddock watchers can form an opinion on this, of course, but it's hardly a scientific approach, and the publishing of weights upon arrival at the track (and in the form book) would be a giant leap forward for punters, imo. It would certainly be a better use of ink/pixels, than publishing RPRs!
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 9th February 2018 at 9:39 AM.

SlimChance, March 2018

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (9th February 2018)

Thanks
    Agreed, but the weight counts for nowt if the horse isn't trying anyway.

As with all the info possible, deciding on the day what is going to be useful and what isn't is the crux.

At least in Hong Kong if the stewards decide a horse that should have run its race and doesn't is worthy of an investigation.

Over here the old school tie is more important than integrity.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    As things stand, determining whether is a horse is off or not, is basically a conspiracy theory built around the reputation of connections, and the position of the horse in the market.

One would assume that on non-going days, the horse won't be hard-trained, and the weight will therefore give some kind of a clue as to whether the yard are serious, before any market drift is apparent. In other words, the info has a use -albeit not foolproof - even in this scenario.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    Had a look at atride data overnight, and while it's to early too take a proper view, it looks an extension of SR'S obsession with reducing racing to a numbers game.
    Fine, in theory, but (imo) it will never replace judging a horse's performance visually - and against what.
    Horse weights would be useful, but they're always going to be '11th hourish', and little practical use for all but the late players.
    Last edited by reet hard; 9th February 2018 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Going changes are a bit '11th hourish" as well, reet, and often aren't identified until the clockers have seen the time of the first race.

Weigh them as soon as they arrive at the stables, and publish the weights......probably gives a 2hr window before the first of them run, which is plenty of time in real terms.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Had a look at atride data overnight, and while it's to early too take a proper view, it looks an extension of SR'S obsession with reducing racing to a numbers game.
    Fine, in theory, but (imo) it will never replace judging a horse's performance visually - and against what.
    Horse weights would be useful, but they're always going to be '11th hourish', and little practical use for all but the late players.
    My idea of their usefulness was that once a horse's stride pattern is established it might help identify well in advance which tracks, going and/or likely pace tactics might suit the horse best, in the absence of the expertise required by skilled paddock observation.