Thread: Taking a price in the bookies

Thanks

Taking a price in the bookies

When backing a steamer or hot horse in the bookies can I write just number meeting time and price or do I have to write down horses name and price???thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I don't think they like you marking the price. The norm is to ask for the price and the counter-hand marks & initials it on the slip.

I've never heard of anyone identifying a horse by its number when writing a bet. Its the convention to write the horse's name.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Of course you can write down the number...like

Ascot 3.00pm

$50 win horse number 5

No different that writing trap 5 at a dog meeting
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanks Tanlic but are you guaranteed the price? It would be handy for 'flagged' horses no?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I used to mark the price on bets and circle it and the manager would sign it but anything that took more than *00 pound out they would have to verify with head office.

I suppose it depends on who you are betting with.

My advise to anyone nowadays is open a Betfair account depending on which type of punter you are

Right now if I wanted to I could get 2000 pound on at 7/1 instantly. If I walked into a shop with 2k and asked for 7/1 all hell would be let lose..even on line I had problems with bookies taking bets in the past...waste of space every last one of them these day
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I always used to write the price on the slip, but would point out I was taking the price, and have them verify it before pushing the slip through the till.

I always used horse-name rather than race-card number, except sometimes when doing forecasts/tricasts.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I always used to write the price on the slip, but would point out I was taking the price, and have them verify it before pushing the slip through the till.

I always used horse-name rather than race-card number, except sometimes when doing forecasts/tricasts.
    The same as this.

Thanks
    Tanlic a question for you as I use Betfair exchanges every now and then. Do you tend to operate close to off time when the liquidity is there ? If so do you completely blank bookmakers prices early morning ? I've thought about switching over to Betfair once I have a decent bank roll built up again but there are still things that narc me about it.

Obviously I always have some sort of idea about what sort of price I want but that is always a loose idea I can put the price and amount on early morning and hope it gets matched but I have to admit if a bet doesn't get matched and the horse wins then knowing my temperament I think it likely next doors garden gnomes will think its started raining lap tops. I know you can revert bets to switch to BSP at the off but I don't really like that idea either as for all I know horse that's 16's on a morning can quite easily go off 9/2 and I wouldn't be wanting my money on at that price. It would be ideal really if I was able to be on the laptop 10 minutes before the off of every race but unfortunately that's not the case.

In your opinion what' the best way of getting around this Tan. Are there ways of setting bets on Betfair that I'm not aware of ? Like a max and minimum price scenario.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Like a max and minimum price scenario.
    This is probably the key - setting your minimum based on the actual minimum price that you would take if it was with a bookies. If it doesn't reach that point then there is nothing to kick the cat about.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to simmo For This Useful Post:

Danny (30th January 2018)

Thanks
    Is that possible to do though Simmo ? Oh sorry you meant setting the stake originally at the lowest price you'd accept ? Still a bit of a bummer if its being matched much higher once the market picks up.

I've thought about just trialing a switch through the summer and setting my bets half stake on the morning available. Then setting up the other half of the bet a percentage higher than whats available with a revert to S.p at the off and see how it goes.

I don't like it but the switch has got to come at some point.
    Last edited by Danny; 30th January 2018 at 3:41 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Is that possible to do though Simmo ?
    Yes. When you place the bet on Betfair you can select the minimum price that you are willing to take - the danger being that if it drifts you lose out. I find when I bet in the morning that I take the price that is on offer at that time, rather than select a minimum. You then have the swings and roundabouts of drifts and gambles to deal with but imo they even each other out.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to simmo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Danny, I think, if circumstances mean you aren't around (for whatever reason) to manage price-change around the off, you just have to accept that you're at the mercy of the market in those scenarios, and roll with the punches.

Switching to BSP would mean that you are at least on at an efficient price - regardless of the performance of the selection - and should really help you overcome any concerns that you're being filleted. Another option is to leave a series of sliding bet requests at various prices, hoping some get matched down to your minimum, and place a BSP bet as well.

But the moral of the tale is that if you're not around to manage the prices, you basically have to accept that sometimes it wont go your way, and that it's not the fault of next-doors gnomes.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Still not quite wrapping my head around this Simmo and I don't think I'm explaining it properly.

If I want to back a horse on the exchanges and I want 16.0 I place the bet and its awaits to be matched. That's it as far I'm concerned it either gets matched, you can revert it to s.p if unmatched or let it go unmatched and get your dough back.

What I'm trying to say is If in that scenario it didn't get matched I'd probably have been alright backing anywhere down to 12's. If it reverts to S.P I can't guarantee that it goes off shorter than 12's. Is there any setting that lets you set a minimum goes off at price. In other words placing an original bet at 16's and if not matched it would revert or be matched to 12's or bigger BFSP if it went off any lower than 12's then it would cancel ?

In my head its the most simple question in the world and I'm having an utter spaz trying to translate it into words. Apologies Sim you are dealing with a complete and utter vegetable !

Thanks
    Danny, I think, if circumstances mean you aren't around (for whatever reason) to manage price-change around the off, you just have to accept that you're at the mercy of the market in those scenarios, and roll with the punches.

Switching to BSP would mean that you are at least on at an efficient price - regardless of the performance of the selection - and should really help you overcome any concerns that you're being filleted. Another option is to leave a series of sliding bet requests at various prices, hoping some get matched down to your minimum, and place a BSP bet as well.

But the moral of the tale is that if you're not around to manage the prices, you basically have to accept that sometimes it wont go your way, and that it's not the fault of next-doors gnomes.
    Sorry posted reply to simmo before I'd read this. I'm not a betfair virgin and can basically operate it for betting as you suggest Grass but I'm always thinking there is probably a lot more to it. I here of different things like bots and is it Bet angels ? and different services they offer ...like is there a high speed service or something like that so when you click you actually get the bet on time. I hear all these bits and bobs and muddle them up without actually looking into them and its half and half between thinking I don't even want to know, to what am I missing?. I'm a pretty old school guy and I find it hard to adapt to new things but I'm realising at some point whether I like it or not I'm going to have to accept change.
    Last edited by Danny; 30th January 2018 at 4:25 PM.

Thanks

If you are around to manage the prices & you have a price you would be happy with, there's always this to consider - back half stakes at that price and the other half at SP. This way you will get a better price half the time on average

Thanks
    Regarding shop bets -if I was having a bet I considered significant I would always get member of staff to write price on the docket.Back in the day I had a decent bet on a Noel Meade novice chaser -by the time the fat arsed shop nazi served me the price had changed from 5/1 to 9/2 before ultimately returning at 11/4 which was the price she tried to settle the bet at-ignoring every show in between.This was at a time when PP had a meaningful customer service department and I got a €100 free bet and the satisfaction of knowing the shop nazi would get a rap on the knuckles.