Thread: Disastrous Bets

Thanks

Disastrous Bets

Probably the stupidest/unluckiest bet(s) of my life, thankfully stakes weren't huge.

No intention of betting today other than an e/w on Ucello Conti in the Thyestes but I received an invitational promotional e-mail from Coral saying £25 free bet if my horse loses in the first race at Warwick.

Free bets are few and far between these days so I felt compelled to take it up. The money for last time out eye catcher Mr Chow was noticeable but I'm a sucker for a Balding horse over hurdles so I'd decided to stick with Night of Glory.

Just as I went to place the bet though - slightly distracted truth be told - Night of Glory went out to 9/4 so Mr Chow flipped to the top of the list and by mistake I'd put the £25 on him.

Tempted to let it go in expectation of getting the free bet regardless, I changed my mind and cashed out Mr Chow for £22.50 (so already £2.50 down), then placed the £25 on Night of Glory - who'd now gone back into 2/1.

Obviously Mr Chow won and to really rub the salt, Night of Glory was my "second" bet in the race so isn't eligible for the free bet either.

I pity anybody who's joined me on Ucello Conti today.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Look on the bright side, at least you’ve given everyone on here a laugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I even laughed myself Bear. It was like an episode from Bottom.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I backed Cyrlight three years on the bounce for the King George, and the cu*nt never even got as far as Calais.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Years ago I was having a great day at home watching the ITV 7.

Off to the bookies to collect I thought keep it going.

Backed another couple of winners, one of those days you think nothing can go wrong.

I decided right at the last minute, in a rush I write down the horse numbers, and do a tricast in this 15 to 20 runner handicap hurdle and BINGO!!!
    The bet comes up and it's like 3k+ and I got to 10 quid.

I go to the counter with a big smile and ask can I pick this up on Monday??

The guy looks at me as if I am stupid...

I didn't write down the horse numbers I wrote down the horse prices DUH!!!!!! so endeth my day of nothing can go wrong
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    I had a tricast in France a couple of years ago - or in effect a tricast I should say with one of the French tote operators.

Three horses I made significantly shorter in a conditions hurdle IIRC. Anyway they finished in the first three positions with a 20/1 shot coming home 8 clear of the other two (around 6/1 and 14's from memory).

Started celebrating as you do but they'd called a stewards enquiry and I couldn't see any reason for it - even accounting for the rather strict rules in France.

The winner was subsequently DQ'd as the jockey had been given a bottle of champagne for winning the race prior to weighing in, rather than giving the bottle to the Clerk Of The Scales as he should do according to the rules he placed it on the COS' table instead, then weighed in.

My thoughts on the matter at the time can't be published on a family friendly forum
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irish Stamp For This Useful Post:

Danny (28th January 2018), Therightroad (26th January 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Real bummer that! you get a lot of that in American racing. Had one about a fortnight ago when I thought I had lost.. then 2 objected to the 5 the 6 to the 4 or some crap like that and the first 2 got thrown out I have backed the 5th for a fiver for a place and got paid my 7.15p
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    I saw this and tbh the list of my own disastrous bets is just too long , the most disastrous bet I've ever seen was to do with a horse Ensnare. He was the most typical gamble horse you could wish to see a row of duck eggs followed by a well punted win until one fateful night at Wolverhampton.

I know the owners brother he'd back it when the money was down and lay it when it wasn't. Unfortunately for him on the 17/11/2012 was a day that Ensnare wasn't supposed to be on the job and the horse went of at an SP of 16/1 so you can imagine what prices he'd been laying on the machine. It wiped him out completely and sent him broke. If I'm ever feeling down or I've been doing my nuts I sometimes go back and watch that race and think to myself it could be worse haha. Worth a watch of the race just for the pure comedy value.
    Last edited by Danny; 28th January 2018 at 12:46 PM.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Great trainer Willie Musson one of the best plotters in the game when it comes to pulling a stroke or two.........Didn't happen to have a fortnight at Sandals in barbados the week after did he?
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Having had a lucrative weekend, landing the Aussie Open double, I'd been tracking Michael Kim for the PGA Golf in Torrey Pines - the course he learned to play on, lives beside it. At the turn he was -10, two off the lead and trading at 17.5 on exchange. In I went.
    He dropped 7 shots in the next few holes and finished at -3. The playoff score was -10.

Just thought I'd share that with you.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Your Slim Chance in disguise!
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......