Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Chamberlin Right?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    I have never had Festival Radio in my ear at Cheltenham but wonder of it's use.
    Communication is the key I think; at least it is for me.
    Go racing and you can miss the fun on TV , the interviews , the replays, close ups and what have you but meet and mix and share stories with friend and stranger.
    Good point, edgt.

Watching snooker on TV, it's obvious a lot of the spectators are listening to the TV commentary. I have no idea how much that might cost.

The chances are that racing being the overcharging, money-grubbing, bookies-run industry that it is, they'd double the cost of entry to provide such a facility.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Can anyone tell me the score with Anthony Brittain as in whats his relationship to Clive?
    He is the son of MEL Brittain

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    I have never had Festival Radio in my ear at Cheltenham but wonder of it's use.
    Given two former presenters were Alice Plunkett and Luke Harvey and that Rupert Bell is the one of the current ones I will leave you to draw your own conclusions.

PS You can sample it this weekend here

http://sport.mediaondemand.net/radio/cheltenham
    Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 13th December 2017 at 8:07 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

edgt (15th December 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    You say this based on what? This certainly hasn't been my experience. Granted that is the case with some, but certainly not the majority as you suggest. Wide sweeping comments like this GG are part of the problem. People take them at face value and then jump on the bandwagon.

As I said in my previous post, would we prefer racecourses to take the initiative or close down? I'd swear that some people think only the Grade 1 tracks exist.
    Based on MY previous experience at plenty of racecourses over decades of going racing and friends who are regular race goers and actually agreed by a senior member of the BHA who was a speaker on a course I recently attended, although he didn't quite put it that way so I think am entitled to an opinion. On a previous thread with a similar theme I have stated this view before; KG/QE day at Ascot has been totally ruined by the allowance of 'picnics' to be laid out by the rail. I don't seriously believe that meetings like that really need to try and attract people who aren't interested in the actual racing. Some of them need to review their ticket prices as some are ridiculously expensive for a 6 race card, as well as £5 for a racecard as charged at Sandown on Saturday. They can have music and picnics all they like but keep those people away from those that actually want to watch and have an interest in the horses.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Racing offers an intellectual puzzle that has absolutely no parallel in any other sport. Any comparison with football is therefore invalidated at source. You cannot dumb-down horse-race form into easily-digestible chunks. It takes effort (and time) to understand form, and the myriad inputs that go into weighing-up a horse-race.
    I'd say the puzzle it offers is unparalleled by any other form of activity, sports or economics, etc. There are no rules to predict how a horse will run on the day, the unknowns of his fitness, jockey, bad luck in running, what form are his adversaries in, and a million other factors.

Thats why the only winners at this game are those who after many years of watching/betting on horse racing can finally spot the value and aren't afraid to have a proper bet even on the outsider of a field aka going against the majority's view when they consider its the case. Here lies the problem, because in order to do that you need to get the bets on and the bookies don't allow any kind of winning. They've closed accounts of casual punters on other sports just for betting once on horse racing. The bookies are the major problem of horse racing, we know they're winning hundred of millions but they don't allow 50-100 quid bets and of course regular folks when they try to get on and see they're blocked its infuriating and never look back.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    And that her husband is a shocking tipster