Thread: BJ Cooper

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts

BJ Cooper

I think I'll put a line through anything this guy rides for the time being.

He looks lost as a jockey.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 17th November 2017 at 3:00 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    I don't think any other jockey would have fared any better on that animal (500 days since a run) Do, lets see how he does on Finians....it's a miracle he rides at all considering the terrible injuries that have befell him over the last 3 years.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    The rush to crown kids as the next best thing is only matched by the rush to crush them when things go a bit off radar
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Did really well to stay in the saddle at the first, saw a great stride at the last....didn't do much wrong there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    The rush to crown kids as the next best thing is only matched by the rush to crush them when things go a bit off radar
    I don't recall rushing to crown him earlier in his career and I'd no idea he hadn't ridden a winner since the last time he rode Finians Oscar. I was going by the rides he gave the likes of Calipto and one or two others whose names escape me but which carried my money. I'm happy enough for him to have won again on FO even though I'd backed MWTT as I don't like seeing good jockeys lose their way.

I've been a long-term critic of Richard Johnson, for example, and remain so regardless of his countless winners. I always think twice before backing anything he rides.

I wish BJC well going forward but he won't be carrying my money until I'm convinced he's on top of his game.

Thanks
    Don't know about that Maxbet. I thought he made his move too early there, asking Finian's Oscar to extend up the hill.
    Thought Barry had out-foxed him coming with 1 run.
    The horse just had too much class.

Not that I've any axe to grind with Cooper, I just didn't think that was the smartest ride tactically.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You sound like Michael Dickinson who used to bollock the lads after they had just won a grade a chase because they made a slight error 3 out.

To be fair any top jockey could have ridden him and won PN's horse shouldn't have been a danger and in the end he wasn't.

I am not a bog fan of Cooper but if you want to see a bad ride watch the clown that rode Gris De Pron and you'll see what bad judgement looks like..........He deserves a "YOU'RE FIRED" if any jockey ever did
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    He hadn't gone for him when Barry out jumped him two out, he'd glanced across at Lizzie and let him extend; but you could see there was always plenty of horse under him.

Thanks
    I thought he was clever sending Finian’s on. The horse has stamina and won his point in Ireland easily whereas MWTT would have more speed about him. Geraghty had to get after FO to get on terms with him and FO had plenty left in the locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Abu View Post
    I thought he was clever sending Finian’s on. The horse has stamina and won his point in Ireland easily whereas MWTT would have more speed about him. Geraghty had to get after FO to get on terms with him and FO had plenty left in the locker.

Different ways of seeing a ride I suppose.

I agree with your logic, to a point. The fact that FO was conceding 8 lb's, I'd have thought trying to extend uphill was asking a lot of the horse.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I don't recall rushing to crown him earlier in his career and I'd no idea he hadn't ridden a winner since the last time he rode Finians Oscar. I was going by the rides he gave the likes of Calipto and one or two others whose names escape me but which carried my money. I'm happy enough for him to have won again on FO even though I'd backed MWTT as I don't like seeing good jockeys lose their way.

I've been a long-term critic of Richard Johnson, for example, and remain so regardless of his countless winners. I always think twice before backing anything he rides.

I wish BJC well going forward but he won't be carrying my money until I'm convinced he's on top of his game.
    It wasn't aimed at you, its a generalisation of rushing to find the next big things. You did start the thread ultimately though

Paul Townend, Johnny Burke, Bryan Cooper have all had this cycle and Jack Kennedy will be the next if things go low profile for him

Jockey bashing isn't for me, its what you tend to hear in bookies from people who know no more than to blame the lowest common denominator.

Before you take any offence DO, i'm not in any way likening you to someone in a betting shop but I don't see much point to a thread like this
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    I think it's as valid as any thread that would question the ability of the likes of Queally or Turner.

I'm wondering if Cooper was maybe in the right place at the right time earlier in his career with all those good Gigginstown horses but like a good apprentice who loses his claim early soon gets found out.

We've all seen jockeys ride awful races, even McCoy, Piggott, etc but the really top class ones find their way back to the top long-term.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Never thought he was all that. He was bound to have profile and glory working for Gigg, but both outpaced his ability.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    How ironic, Cooper ousted a out of sorts Davy Russell to get the top job a Giggi, and Russell now looks better than ever as he looks to be the flavour of the month.

Thanks
    Apparently Tizzard was on the phone earlier this week begging Robbie Power to ride Mick Thonic because he wasn't happy with some of Coopers earlier efforts-Shanahans Turn wasn't fancied today.The Tizzards have no faith in Cooper -his days are numbered.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LUKE For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (18th November 2017)

Thanks
    Tizzard was quick to also praise Cooper, who wore a black armband, for the ride and his positive approach to the race, both beforehand and as the race developed.
    Bryan was very, very good on him,” he said. “It looked like the race was lost going into the last but Bryan was very positive and this horse always has something left in the locker – he can be a bit lazy at times.”

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Maybe Tizzard will start to struggle soon. Cue Card and Thistlecrack have brought in 40% of the yards winnings over the last 5 years and the former can't go on forever while the latter has to come back from injury.

Fox Norton has his limits and as tough as Finian is he could struggle when it comes to the big prizes that are so important to a trainers survival.

With the deaths of his best owners things could start to get very tight for Tizzard
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks

BJ Cooper

There’s no fear of the Tizzards. They still have Native River, Finnian’s Oscar, Pongshou,,West Approach and White Moon & Slate House could be anything.

Paul Nicholls had 2 grade 1 winners last year, 3 if you include France, and he very nearly regained his Champion Trainer crown. He finished last year with the same amount of grade 1 winners in the UK he had the previous year.

Last edited by Kauto Abu; 19th November 2017 at 10:21 AM.