Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Road to the Grand National 2018

Thanks
    Was at Newbury on Sat, and didn't see anything to put me off backing Carole's Destrier again. Once again, just jumped every fence very economically and was in process of trying to gain on the leading group when hampered by the faller 2 out. Will just keep backing e.w. from next week until hopefully runs this year.
    You should not confuse your career with your life.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

To remove these adverts please either login or join if you are not a member.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Westerner Point tackles the Becher Chase Saturday; backed in from 33 to 16 with Ladbrokes.
    As game a horse as ever looked through a bridle owned and trained by a sporting bunch of guys near me; nobody will be cheering louder for him Saturday than me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (7th December 2017)

Thanks
    I haven't finalised my figures for the race but I'm wondering if The Last Samuri has improved again coming into this season.

The majority of decent chasers tend to post hurdles figures 10-20lbs below their chase form when they revert to the smaller obstacles. On his recent reappearance, TLS posted a lifetime high - by a long way - over hurdles. Now, it should be emphasised that he last ran over hurdles some years ago and he made a lot of progress over fences after that, but even so I would not have expected him to be up to running within 5lbs or so of his chase mark first time up over hurdles.

I can see me having at least a saver on him on Saturday and if he were to win I think he'd merit an entry in the Gold Cup. However, if the National is the be-all-and-end-all for him I imagine they'll be trying to get his mark down.
    Two's company, three's allowed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 794 Posts
    Word round these parts is the Festival Cross Country is the objective, that's not to be saying he won't try for the GN as well

Just checked, there's a four week gap between the Festival and the GN meeting in 2018 so not an arduous task as it might be.
    Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 8th December 2017 at 9:48 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Word round these parts is the Festival Cross Country is the objective, that's not to be saying he won't try for the GN as well

Just checked, there's a four week gap between the Festival and the GN meeting in 2018 so not an arduous task as it might be.
    Is that for The Last Samuri, DG?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    Westerner Point tackles the Becher Chase Saturday; backed in from 33 to 16 with Ladbrokes.
    As game a horse as ever looked through a bridle owned and trained by a sporting bunch of guys near me; nobody will be cheering louder for him Saturday than me.
    They fancy him big time I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Is that for The Last Samuri, DG?
    Yes

Thanks
    He might just be a bit of a good thing there. I have him some way better than Cause Of Causes. It wouldn't affect his handicap for the National either. TVM.